too many ants this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
has anybody else been finding a lot of cherry with ants in it? The ants seem really thick this year. I have only found one cherry so far without ants!

I've got fire ants everywhere, I started getting them last summer. We have never had them here before. They are taking over my yard, I've got to get something to kill them. It's getting where you can't even walk without stepping in a pile of them. They are just now starting to mound up. i don't want to let the mounds get big.

I got a few and they start moving in the house, but I try not to go to crazy to kill them all, cause they attack termites. So I see it as a win win with all the wood around.

I have the fireants here also. They didn't show up till maybe two three years ago. I was cutting yesterday and if my son hadn't said something them things would have been all over me. I was cutting a small pine and the vibration run them out. They were headed in my direction in attack mode. They were crawling on the stump and me and son were messing with them with some small sticks. They were leaning back on their hindends with jaws open in defense attack mode. Need to do something about them here for sure. Any ideas? Other than burning or gassing I don't know what else to do. I can't use toxic stuff because of the goats in that pasture area.

I have had good luck with Terro brand poisons.They make an out door bait that is full of syrup stuff ,they bring it back to the nest and they are gone.It takes a couple weeks,but it works.:blob4:

Don't know if you can use this stuff with animals around, but in Texas I had great success with the insecticides that messed up their growth cycle. It took 4 to 6 weeks to work, because they had to take it back to the nest and feed the young, but it then pretty much killed off the nest for the rest of the year. Great stuff. Sorry, but cannot remember the name. Fire ants have not made it to Kansas yet.

From my understanding, Terro is for sweet ants. What you want for fireants is something called Amdro. You sprinkle it in a ring around the mound and they take it in and have a party. The hangover is to die for.

Ian

If i remember right, something called diazinon (sp)? used to work good for things like ants. Its no longer for sale to joe homeowner because of children eating it and dying.

Actually, I think it was removed from residential use because it was killing off so many birds that ate insects treated with diazinon.

What my grandfather used to do, and I don't advocate this, is take a hoe, shove the handle as deep into the mound as he could get it and pour a gallon of oil/gas mixture in the hole. Then he'd put a plastic bag or tarp over it and weight it down so the fumes couldn't escape. It worked, but we had dead bare spots all around the pond for years to remind us of where the mound used to be. Yep... he did this around his 5 acre pond. Oil seeping into the water probably didn't even occur to him, and probably wouldn't have bothered him if it did.

Ian

We've always had red ants around here. Are they the same thing as fire ants?

Thanks, I'll hang up now and listen to your answer. (for Chris)

I just put some stuff on my pile because they were getting out of hand. I used some old stuff we had laying around, think they came from a bad piece of cherry

Actually, I think it was removed from residential use because it was killing off so many birds that ate insects treated with diazinon.

Thats very possible, im not sure of where i heard of the children thing, one of those word of mouth things i guess. I could definately see that sutff killing birds the way it killed bugs haha. That was certainly good stuff.

Latest posts

Back