Tool for trimming stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This may be the dumb question of the day. I have a lot of trees to thin in a reforestation project. Diameter a couple of inches off the ground ranging from 4 inches to 12 inches. I want to cut them as flush to the ground as I can so I can run through with a mower periodically.

Cutting near to flush gets you into too much dirt, dulling the chain too often. Is there any other, better way, or better tool, to do this? I suspect not, but look to the expertise of the group.

Don't know what it is, just saw the results of the thing after the fact. Down around Dripping Springs Texas, (which is near Austin), Cedar trees grow like weeds and the ones they cut are between 2 & 4 inches in diameter at the base. They use some sort of automated cutter that takes em off at ground level and leaves a few center shards sticking up. I'm sure it's some kind of machine used in a commercial operation, but if you could find out what it is, it might get you headed in the right direction.
Steve

I have seen tree shears that are 3-point hitch mounted and cut up to 8 in. diameter.

I have read of carbide chains for firefighters. I wonder how that would do in the dirt. I know they are very expensive.

Any thoughts on whether a carbide chain would do better in this situation?

Stihl has a new carbide tipped 3/8 lo-pro chain available now. Worth a try. I have done what you need to do on two small trees in my yard and I just used a POS safety chain.

If you are handy it might be worth fabbing a hydraulic shear that could mount to a tractor. one cylinder and a planer blade would be the main expense

I gotta chime in...

If you're doing a reforestation project, wouldn't you wanna keep soil compaction to a minimum, for best results/healthiest soil?Aw crap, I'm a tree hugger in the chainsaw forum.... I know it's old fashioned(can be updated) but, clearing the spot by hand, or handtools is the best way to remove the dirt around your stump. You can cheat with using a fan rake/hoe/pick then use a handheld or backpack blower, to excavate around the root flare, before you make the final cut. Yeah, huge pain especially for hundreds or thousands of trees! That(and cutting styles n some tricks, I won't mention, because I'm not comfortable describing something not as easily taught or passed along w/o someone being there, first hand to experience/learn from/be stopped by me, before the saw gets slippery) and cutting as even with grade, as possible is about all you can do, save stump grinder, tractor with brush mower/grinder, excavator, military jet mounted nuke blowin' green laser...best option, and I'd enlist as long as they'd put in writing I'd get to man it!

Not a cool or fun gizmo, but a small stack of briquettes set to burning takes 'em down without much fuss if there is no fire restrictions.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I do timber thinning jobs for my business, cutting frequently ~ 300 2-8" dbh trees a day and this is where a small saw with a short bar really shines. I often cut to within an inch of the ground and you obviously have to get as parallel with the ground as possible and a long bar will inevitably sag and you'll be cutting the dirt in no time. If you are going to be mowing over the stumps a flush cut won't be mandatory but within an inch should do fine. They also make a chemical that dissolves stumps but I can't think of what it is.

+1 on the short bar, they work great on stumps of that size, but I don't know any way around having to sharpen the chain. Eventually you still get
into dirt, but I don't know of any other way around it. Flush cutting is what I keep all my old B/C for.

What about a mulching head on a Bobcat?

http://www.bobcat.com/publicadmin/viewArticle.html?id=6731

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tUbsihE8Z3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tUbsihE8Z3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
If the trees are still standing, the shear or forestry mulcher are the most efficient way of accomplishing this kind of task.

The shear will take the entire tree down, and if you're deft with the controls it will leave a very short stump, maybe an inch to two inches in height, depending on the design of the shear. This requires resting the thick edge of the shear on the ground, so you have to watch for rock that may get between the cutting arm and the tree. You'll have the tree trunk and branches to deal with, either by limbing and bucking, or by dragging to a burn pile, tub grinder, or to be otherwise hauled off.

A mulcher grinds the entire tree down, and depending on the soil conditions can operate to a few inches below grade, leaving no stump once the surface is graded. The mulcher disturbs the soil extensively, and will turn the chipped/ground material into the top layer, mixing it with the existing soil material. The mulcher heads come in differing styles, and use tooth designs and materials that can operate in rocky soil in some cases (round-point carbide) to square, chisel teeth that are not intended to contact rock or hard debris.

Here where I work, we use a combination of methods depending on the starting conditions, and the desired end-point. We just finished clearing a 25-acre section on a base of loose soil, river rock, hard limestone and dolomite/granite using a Cat D3G dozer, a Bobcat with a shear, a Fecon mulcher, and hand felling/pruning. The mulcher and dozer were used in sections that ultimately will become road and trail, as we don't want stumps or other sub-surface debris that will "bubble up" over time. The remainder was cleared with the mulcher. There is still a substantial amount of handwork in selective clearing, as there are areas where the shear or mulcher can't be operated because of clearance or terrain.

Excavating around the stumps and shaving the bark with an axe works well and will give you plenty of mover clearance on semi-level ground anyway. Depends on how many trees you have to do. A small grinder should make quick work of them. They go for about $125 a day in my neck of the woods. I used to flush stumps very low prior to grinding but have since started to leave them a little higher. Grinder teeth handle dirt and small rocks much better than saw chain. Haven't tried any carbide chain though.

For stump removal since I cannot afford to rent or buy a stump grinder: I dig around stump with a shovel then cut it as low to the ground as I can with chainsaw with smallest bar being careful not to touch dirt as this will dull chain almost instantly, then put the dirt back. Or, I use saw saw with 100' extension cord that will cut through the wood & dirt with no digging it just takes longer to cut.

Back