Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mark

Not a lathe man myself but I have a couple of links I could share with you if you like.Let me know and I'll post them up.Will also knows some good sites for lathe work.
Lawrence

Must have been the power of positive thought today!!!

I've been trying to find a second hand 14mm x 1.25 Heli-coil kit for repairing spark plug holes in chainsaw cylinders for awhile now......A guy stops in needing some 034 Stihl parts today and actually offers this in trade.:clap:

I doubt if it has installed more than one or two coils!!:msp_w00t:

IMG_7078.jpg

IMG_7080.jpg

IMG_7081.jpg

It actually came with quite a bit of stuff, so I can build on it from there.

I'm thinking that I will want a boring bar before long.

Mark, I've got a boring bar that I saved from the scrap bin... not sure if I want to get rid of it, but I'll post a pic here for you to see. Maybe we can come up with a trade.

I've also got all kinds of tooling catalogs that I saved from the trash bin, I'll post the names of the said companies sometime tomorrow.

I know... I is a hoarder of sorts...

promac610
I was working on your compressor head tonight, I had the valve ground from a few weeks ago so I started on the valve seat. I didn't want to spend $80 for a new reamer for an almost no money job so I was able to use the tapered portion of a larger reamer to get the really short valve guide to the right size for the new valve. Of course in my vast plethora of pilots I didn't have the right size for the re-sized valve guide.

With all of these you think I would have the correct one.
IMG_1269.jpg

The Kwik-Way factory is only 30 minutes from me but I didn't want to spend any money for a new pilot so I decided to make my own.
IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Here is the finished product before I cut it off the bar. I put a standard pilot in the shot for reference. It has a 0.002" tapper on the small OD section.
IMG_1268.jpg

Here is the new valve ground down next to the old valve.
IMG_1271.jpg

The tools necessary, ended up using a 45 for the main angle and a 35 and 55 for the other two.
IMG_1270.jpg

Not the prettiest valve seat I've ever done but it will work.
IMG_1272.jpg

Next I'll cut the valve to length and get the keeper and spring situation figured out.

That is awesome!

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread...

(just remembered I need to get that pic of the boring bar up for MM, I'll go take one now.)

Here are the pics for ya Mark.

boringbar1.jpg

boringbar2.jpg

boringbar3.jpg

It looks like a well made boring bar. Not sure if it was fabbed in the shop, or bought from an industrial supply company. Guess they just don't use one enough to justify keeping it. I don't see myself needing one anytime soon, so I might be willing to let it go. It'll take your standard lathe cutters/bits like these... has two set screws to clamp down on the cutter/bit.

Tool Bit Sets | MSCDirect.com

BTW, look through this site, and get their catalog. (it's a little bigger in thickness and overall size than a phone book...)

Trust me, you'll find all kinds of stuff you'll want, for no apparent reason. :cheers:

I also have a nice ball bearing live center... problem is the bearings seem to be stuck. Probably something a little ATF/Acetone would take care of. However, I recall seeing these buggers costing well over 250 for a fairly precise one... I'll have to do some research on the one I have and figure out if I really want it or if it's even possible to get it to spin again.

Last edited:
YO! PETE!

Kleen out yer pm box... I ain't can send no privvy meesage...

No, really... your pm box is loaded like a baby's diaper.

At some point I'll want to put new jaws on it since they don't sit square, but overall it came out nice.

Looks nice!

I am not certain that the jaws need to close perfectly square for most rough work.

I don't know if you would find new jaws that would fit that particular vise. I am sure that you could pay a machinist a bunch of $$ to square them up, but from your photos, it looks like they are not fully seating on the forged vise parts.

Maybe these are not original? Maybe you can remove them and touch up the jaws or forgings with a file to make them seat a bit more square? Just a thought.

Philbert

I tried to get them off, but they will have to be drilled out. From what I can tell I'll have to make or find some odd screws to replace the old ones. Thanks for the suggestion of filing them though. I may try that if they still don't fit right with the correct screws.

I got a little project done on the lathe today, and I found out I need a few things to do a better job., I also found I need to take the apron back apart, its jumping when traveling and I think I might have a bad gear. Will tear into it at a later time.

Anyway, I didint like the Husky bar studs I put in my Jred 920 as they were a little too short, so I tried my hand a makeing some from scratch.

I think they will fuction ok and I'm good with that. :hmm3grin2orange:

barstudscustom.jpg

By modifiedmark at 2012-03-04

Anyway, I didint like the Husky bar studs I put in my Jred 920 as they were a little too short, so I tried my hand a makeing some from scratch. I think they will fuction ok and I'm good with that.

If that is a photo of the ones you made, they look very impressive! We will have to start calling you 'Modest Mark'!

Philbert

Yep, thats the ones.

Like I said, there just OK. I made the front one just a bit longer as I'm going to be putting the bigger spikes on it and the outer actually bolts onto the front bar stud.

I just KNEW that a guy called Modifiedmark could make a better product than what you could buy anyway!!!

Mike

If you happen to find some more old tools that need some loving I am ready to help;) You did a GREAT job on the paint! Will work to get to play with old saws:laugh:

Well, I think it's done for now. It's all painted and back together. At some point I'll want to put new jaws on it since they don't sit square, but overall it came out nice.

IMG_5708_800x600.jpg

IMG_5705_800x600.jpg

IMG_5706_800x600.jpg

IMG_5707_800x600.jpg

Latest posts

Back