Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was considering getting one of these just to try it out. . . . .It's actually a shame that Makita doesn't make an 18v cordless chainsaw... I know others do but it would be nice to have a chainsaw to go with my other 18v lithium Makita tools.

I really like mine (UC4000). As noted, HD rents them (newer model now) and they typically sell off their rental equipment every 3 years or so. I bought 2 of these used for under $90 each. If you are not hung up on the blue color, I just saw the Dolmar version in red (to match BluntForgedEdge's collection) on eBay, new, for a little over $200 - a 'heck-of-a-deal' (as we say in MN).

Corded electric saws and battery powered saws really fall into 2, separate, niche categories. I can run the corded saw all day, and with more power, as long as I am within 100' of an outlet. Great for near the house, cabin, garage, barn, shop, etc.

The battery powered saws offer many of the same advantages (low noise, no starting problems, etc.), but are limited by battery life and power. Great for grab-and-go convenience, or smaller, trimming jobs. If I was looking at a battery saw for 'real' cutting, I would stick with the newer, 36-40 volt saws by Oregon, Husqvarna, STIHL, Bosch, etc.

Philbert

Since getting the Milwaukee Circular Saw, I think I've got a Milwaukee Starter/Entry Level Tool Kit started:

MilwaukeeStarterSet_zpsb681e9ee.jpg

There's the "newer" M12 FUEL Brushless Power Tools debuting sometime in February. Will have to see about that.

Damn...That's a lot of RED! :msp_rolleyes:

Cordless drills? Got two... both of them are excellent. One is a Porter Cable 14.4v hammer drill, and the other is a Makita 6222D.

The PC's case had broken latches... no big deal... I found new ones at a site for about 1 buck a piece. The Makita had been dropped at one point in its life, and was missing a piece of the housing. Still worked. I use it a lot, and found I really like it, so I bought the new housing at the parts site I got the PC case latches from.

Also picked up a few parts for the old Dremel... thing died on me a while back. New switch and it seems to be good to go. Got a spare armature for it too.

Meanwhile... all of my tools are getting moved all over the place. If I ever get lucky enough to find an auto mechanic job, I'll be bringing the big box to work. Had a metric crap ton of tools in it before. Not anymore. Finding another place to put these tools was/still is an ordeal all on its own. All of the small handyman carry around size boxes are full. The other roller drawer/cabinet box is full. Workbench drawers are full. Work surfaces are covered with tools and projects.

I can't wait until I can remodel/reorganize the barn. It really needs workbenches that are connected and wrap around the corner, and it needs shelves and cabinets... lots of them.

Organized chaos is what it is. Not much I can do about it right now though...

IIRC, Milwaukee had a deal for their dealers last winter where they would get a free *heated* jacket with every order over a certain dollar amount. You just plugged in one of the rechargeable battery packs to run it.
Now, had I known about that. . .I was wondering about that comment being alluded to when I was in one of these "anger management" classes from another fellow who said, 'you must have bought a lot of Milwaukee tools to get that free jacket!' Oh well, on the next go 'round. . .

Sold my bandsaw to a buddy who Ive bought a lot of tools from and while I was there he gave me this nice set of "T" handle Elkind Allen wrenches. Its missing a couple but Ill find them. The box they sit on and the chart on it are very cool and detail like that just isnt there anymore.
DSCF0827_zps1be16163.jpg

Picked this up today. Got it from the same guy I got the allen wrenches from. i had seen a couple grinders when I was at his shop last week and I asked which ones hed sell. I saw an older smaller one and thought thats the one he was gonna selll me. I was happily surprised when he had this real nice 8" Dayton for me for $60! He even put a new line cord and switch on it. Its single phase, 115v, 5/8" arbors, 3/4 hp, 8.2 amps. It weighs at least 65 pounds, quiet and very heavy duty. Also made in USA.
download13_zps4e174ff1.jpg

Its a tool I guess

Took this Fasco Central vac from my grandmothers cellar about a year ago. My Grandfather bought it new around '74 or so. I had it sittin in my cellar until last week. I took it to a local vac shop call A to Z vac and security. Cool place and the guys there were great to deal with. Turns out they sold this one to my Grandfather! The filter was toast and a new one was $125, they wound up selling me a used filter (evidently the new one last indefinitely), custom fit it for my vac and went thru the motor just to make sure. Charged me $60. Ill be going back there. So today I had the time after I picked up the grinder and a load of steel to start this project. I first cut a frame out of 2"x4''s then ramset them to the wall. Once I bolted it up I re-wired the power line. It was originally wire to the panel. I took the old romex off and put a new line cord and cap on to plug it into an outlet. The guys at A to Z tested the suction and said it was still nice and strong (it uses a 13 amp fasco motor. I have a 30" hose for it so vacuuming my wifes car and my truck will be easy now.
download9_zps4e744c97.jpg

You're an amazing man Joe. You find the coolest dang stuff. :)

Well, the vac was easy cause it was at my grandmothers. The grinder and other stuff I been just lucky! the guy I buy most of my tools from goes to school auctions an places like that. He buys from them then I'll buy fromhim. And he only gets quality commercial grade stuff

Anyone know of a higher quality cutting wheel than DeWalt or Flexovit? I got a free stainless elevator door and made a welding table out of it and now need to cut the part with the rollers off...blew thru the Flexovit wheel in one inch and the DeWalt (said right on it that it was for cutting stainless) in about a foot. My torches are at the shop and I really just want to zip this section off and be done with it.

Anyone know of a higher quality cutting wheel than DeWalt or Flexovit? I got a free stainless elevator door and made a welding table out of it and now need to cut the part with the rollers off...blew thru the Flexovit wheel in one inch and the DeWalt (said right on it that it was for cutting stainless) in about a foot. My torches are at the shop and I really just want to zip this section off and be done with it.

I've never seen a wheel that worked well on stainless.

Sawzall with a torch blade.

The only success I ever had with stainless was a lot of small cuts over time. Patience was the key.

I saw online the other day that 3M came out with a new line of grinding wheels and cutting discs. They were giving away free samples too.

Edit: The new products are in the Cubitron line.

Last edited:
I'll order up some of those 3M discs, somehow in last weeks ordering frenzy I missed ordering any discs and only have 3 on hand and don't want to blow thru them on this thing in case I need them for paying work. I might give it a go with the saws all in the AM, think I have some new metal blades a buddy gave me to try out that he was all excited about...that is if Jr didn't get to them already, that kid could dull up a new blade cutting farts.

Time to bring something interesting into this thread... anyone happen to know what this tool is?

attachment.php

Yes, I do know what it is, but am not going to tell unless no one figures it out within a reasonable amount of time.

Time to bring something interesting into this thread... anyone happen to know what this tool is?

attachment.php

Yes, I do know what it is, but am not going to tell unless no one figures it out within a reasonable amount of time.

It's the tool you use to lap the valves in a model T Ford.

Mike

I am thinking of replacing my drill press with one of the small "mill drill" machines, probably a Grizzly G0463.

Anyone out there have any comments or suggestions? Of course I would like to go with a bigger unit but space in my shop just won't allow a larger, more substantial unit for now.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Latest posts

Back