Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the 20v lithium 1/2" drill late last year when I found out DeWalt was making them in the USA, the wife got me the matching impact for Christmas. Used it today to drive some 3" lags into a bench I built.
image.jpg

This thread's also for those who, out of occasional necessity, make their own tools from time to time. Made this spanner wrench from a surplus crescent wrench. Some lathe time to make the nibs, which are replaceable.

That is brilliant!

I assume the nibs are threaded into the wrench, and the nuts lock them in place?

Yep. Did it that way so that 1) they could be replaced if needed 2) larger/thicker ones could be put in there if needed.

I'll be giving that one a try soon.

Not sure I'm smart enough to pull it off though... I was about to ask if it is better to cut the threads before turning the end, before it occurred to me to just use some bolts as stock.

I often wonder how I manage to make it through the day...

Makes good use of those cheap chicom wrenches we all have kicking around

Joe, those 'cheap chicom wrenches' from HFT are surprisingly difficult to drill through. These old US made wrenches are (relatively) much easier.

I was about to ask if it is better to cut the threads before turning the end, before it occurred to me to just use some bolts as stock.

Exactly what we did.

Came home with this today...

image.jpg

It is a Snap-On 2501 wrench. It was in a box of tools at the local pawn shop where I have come to know the owner. I was there yesterday and his son told me he could find no info on it. Came home an Googled "Snap-On 2501 wrench" and the first hit told me it was for a 1926 Buick.

Stopped in tonight to let them know what I found. Took a free roasted chicken I had been given at Sam's Club for them to eat and got this in return.

Found these sets at the sears scratch/dent/discontinued store. The metric box end wrenches were $8.99 and the 94 piece set was $44.99. I'd have to assume they are discontinued due to the fact that the new sets are Chinese and twice the money. They had a whole bunch I'm prob gonna get a few more, fact is USA craftsman tools are history ;(image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back