Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this before but it disappeared...I take a Stihl tuning screwdriver and put a quality roll of shrink wrap over the business end and only melt a bit to the shaft and leave the blade part open, it helps hold the driver in place while tuning in the cut, nothing worse than trying to find the slot while the saw is screaming.

ATF works great for really cold temps. I have a bunch of very high-grade synthetic compressor oil that I got while I worked at the mill that I run in the compressor that's in my unheated shop. So far it's been good down to -20 and up to +30 Celsius. I don't run that one very hard though. I don't know the ISO rating of that oil; it's bright blue and I think it said AW46 on the 5 gallon pail I poured it out of. Apparently it was almost $200 for a pail; we quit using it at the mill and switched to something else, so I took the last 3/4 of a bucket that was left over. It'll last me awhile.

Bob, merry christmas! Hot as blazes where you're at, I bet eh! We had -20C overnight here and have just shy of a foot of snow on the ground. Strangely this is the coldest day we've seen so far this winter... but still not so bad. Thanks for the bandsaw mod pics, I've been collecting ideas for it; once it warms up I'll get busy tuning it up. The motor needs a bearing to begin with - it'll go if I give it a little help by hand to start it. I'll also probably add a gear reducer to slow it down some more, right now it just has a 3-step pulley setup which doesn't get it down as slow as I think it could go for bigger cuts. Eventually I'll get a DC speed controller for one of the treadmill motors I have lying around and use that... lots of ideas and options, especially with all the stuff I have lying around the shop.

Good morning, scouts!

Geez, this thread used to MOVE; what happened?

Mastermind turned me on to straight SAE 10 for my compressor and it's been fine since; no blown breakers.

Here's today's revelation: I picked up this abrasive poly wheel at Harbor Freight the other day for refinishing bars. I think it was like $4.99 and goes on my angle grinder.

GEDC1052_zps88d337ec.jpg

GEDC1053_zps46d08515.jpg

Here is the 'before' shot:

GEDC1054_zpsfb8cd98c.jpg

Here's the 'after' (2 minutes) shot:

GEDC1055_zps869b1da0.jpg

I'll still use the 2" 3M Roloc discs to remove burrs, but the 'look' that this wheel gives is what I prefer.

Happy New Year!

:cheers:

3M (and imitators) sells a whole range of those ScotchBrite type discs. They are impregnated with a variety of abrasives, usually aluminum oxide or silicon carbide, and come in a wide range of grits. Some of the finer grades will take off the paint or rust without leaving such deep scratches or swirls. Or, like sandpaper, you can progress up through a range of grits until you leave a polished, mirror surface, depending on how far you want to go.

In industry, these will be used to polish off weld lines, remove burrs, or to take a rough casting to a polished part.

There are styles to fit angle grinders, like Warped5 shows, bench grinders, die grinders, Dremel tools, drill chuck, etc. Almost any powered, rotary tool. One of the styles I like is the 'Roloc' line (also sold under different brand names by other manufacturers) that fit onto a small, pneumatic, right angle die grinder, which is easy to hold and can fit into a lot of places.

You can buy these online or anywhere that industrial or welding products are sold, but might have to order some of the sizes or specific grits.

3M Industrial Products Catalog: adhesives, tapes, abrasives and more:#Discs - Roloc

Philbert

3M (and imitators) sells a whole range of those ScotchBrite type discs. They are impregnated with a variety of abrasives, usually aluminum oxide or silicon carbide, and come in a wide range of grits. Some of the finer grades will take off the paint or rust without leaving such deep scratches or swirls. Or, like sandpaper, you can progress up through a range of grits until you leave a polished, mirror surface, depending on how far you want to go.

In industry, these will be used to polish off weld lines, remove burrs, or to take a rough casting to a polished part.

There are styles to fit angle grinders, like Warped5 shows, bench grinders, die grinders, Dremel tools, drill chuck, etc. Almost any powered, rotary tool. One of the styles I like is the 'Roloc' line (also sold under different brand names by other manufacturers) that fit onto a small, pneumatic, right angle die grinder, which is easy to hold and can fit into a lot of places.

You can buy these online or anywhere that industrial or welding products are sold, but might have to order some of the sizes or specific grits.

3M Industrial Products Catalog: adhesives, tapes, abrasives and more:#Discs - Roloc

Philbert

Yep, the Roloc branded discs and pads are what I keep an eye out for at the flea markets. The Chinese stuff has such inconsistent quality!

I'll keep looking for one of these wheels with finer grit ... but I sure like those swirls. :D

Makita

I a fan of makita and Millwaukee. Specifically the older stuff that was made in Japan and the USA, but I also have the new stuff too. I found an NOS Makita 6510 drill on ebay last year. Its new from '79! My Dad bought one new in the mid 80s and its an awesome drill. I needed a jigsaw and wasnt too happy with what Ive seen or the prices and the pawnshop had nothing. I found a real nice low hour Makita 4320 jigsaw. Variable speed with a dial on the trigger and a trigger lock. Well made unit that will last me a long time. and it only cost $21.
the drill
SummerFall2010190.jpg

jigsaw
DSCF0794_zps549fd5d7.jpg

DSCF0793_zps88dfa9b6.jpg

Last edited:
I like their chainsaws too!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Seriously. I bought this one (used) because I saw that Home Depot rented them, and figured if they could stand up to that . . . .
Plus I knew that they made good motors for contractor type tools (worm gear saws, etc.).
Wasn't until later that I found out the chainsaw part was Dolmar.

Philbert

Milwaukee Sawzall 2620-20

IMG_2584_zps206abba9.jpg

MilwaukeeLenox_zps3a4a7d53.jpg

For some people it may be sacrilegious to have a Lenox blade on a Milwaukee, but in this instance it is what it is.

I like Lennox blades. I guess that I am not a blade snob: I also like Morse, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc. for general use. I suppose that there are some applications where certain brands or models outperform the others.

I also like using a pruning blade in my reciprocating saw (brings us back to the 'arborist' thing!).

attachment.php

I have seen these labeled 'Skil', 'Bosch', 'Craftsman', . . . might all come from the same factory with different markings? They are really nice for getting into tight spaces, like when pruing out dead trunks of lilac bushes, etc. Get into places that I can't even reach with a hand pruning saw and let me 'surgically' remove stuff with a minimum of damage to surrounding limbs, bark, etc.

Probably even more versatile with your cordless recip.

Philbert

Last edited:
My wife uses my 18 volt cordless. I'll go thru a stand of saplings with the chainsaw rapidly and she'll follow with the cordless, stumping at ground level. Saves on chains and is an efficient way to clear acreage of saplings.

Picked up another red saw from Milwaukee today:

Milwaukee2630-20CircularSaw_zpsecf7f57f.jpg

IMG_2612_zpsd9a64fed.jpg

IMG_2624_zps6373b17c.jpg

IMG_2625_zpsa7916743.jpg

Don't know what I was thinking, but I had a hankering for a Milwaukee to add to my "starter" cordless power tools set. That's all for now!

Since getting the Milwaukee Circular Saw, I think I've got a Milwaukee Starter/Entry Level Tool Kit started:

MilwaukeeStarterSet_zpsb681e9ee.jpg

There's the "newer" M12 FUEL Brushless Power Tools debuting sometime in February. Will have to see about that.

IIRC, Milwaukee had a deal for their dealers last winter where they would get a free *heated* jacket with every order over a certain dollar amount. You just plugged in one of the rechargeable battery packs to run it.

I like their chainsaws too!
attachment.php

I was considering getting one of these just to try it out. Some of the guys that have bought stuff from me before have asked about their quality, speed, and abilities... I have a small hoard of makita chainsaws and other tools so figured it would be worth it to give one a shot. Not sure I'm sold on the "power-sharp" feature but I bet my older "townie" of a brother would get the best use out of one of these.

It's actually a shame that Makita doesn't make an 18v cordless chainsaw... I know others do but it would be nice to have a chainsaw to go with my other 18v lithium Makita tools. I'd assume that the 18v and sawsall based chainsaws are good for demo work and quicker than the regular reciprocating motion of a standard sawsall.

Latest posts

Back