Tool-Free Tensioning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickey

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Looking at a new saw and im seeing alot of Tool-free chain tensioning on the market. I am not a pro, but a frequent user none the less. What are your thoughts on this feature? Is it worth the extra money?

Im looking at Husqvarna, Echo, and Stihl... let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Trickey

Once it was actually one of the three reasons I ever bought my MS250 C-BE. It works, and actually really well too.

But today I wouldn't pay extra for it, even if it were just a few bucks (it was $50 for me at the time...), and I rather have been without the extra weight even if it's just a 0.1 kg. As I said, it's not bad, it's just that my priorities and taste in saws have changed since then.

My buddy has this feature on his MS180 and He loves it. It seems like something else to screw up out in the woods to me and I have decided against it.
Mike

The only saw we carry with the quick adjust are the MS 250 and MS 180, it's a good system but most people who buy it like it. But we don't ever carry any in the 270, 280, or 361's with it, since they only have one bar stud and all have 3+ hp could be dangerous. In general I only see the use for it with saws that you would climbing with and need to adjust the chain in the tree. I think it's a waste of money for 50$ on most Stihl saws. Just my two cents.

i agree. It was on a 280 I bought because it was in stock, but seems a bit flexy and concerned about durability. Don't use it that often, so a scrench is fine. No tool gas and oil caps are nice, so guess nice not to have the scrench at all. I can see in a tree would be nice.

k

Mattel, Fisher Price....

Me like the Stihl tooless. I'm pretty sure there is a limit on the torque the saw puts out that you'd be unhappy with the plastic adjusters for that size saw.

Is it me? Or is that tiny little thumb wheel you turn on the Stihls (MS210C-BE) hard to use. It don't seem like you can get much grip or pressure on it to tighten the chain. It may be designed that way to keep from over tightning it though. I recommended this saw for my lady friend and she decided she wasn't getting her chain tight enough or couldn't turn the thumb wheel and used a screwdriver on it and stripped it out. (it's only plastic). I think she forgot she had to loosen the bar clamp first. As for me, I think that little thumb wheel is too small. She does love that easy start system though.

It's fine!

Once it was actually one of the three reasons I ever bought my MS250 C-BE. It works, and actually really well too.

I've got it on my Ms361 and it works great! You adjust it and it stays put as well as bar nuts do. I've not had any problems with it. The QCA on the 361 seems to be quite stout.

Al :cheers: :cheers:

I've got it on my Ms361 and it works great! You adjust it and it stays put as well as bar nuts do. I've not had any problems with it. The QCA on the 361 seems to be quite stout.

Al :cheers: :cheers:

+1. No problems with mine so far. And it didnt cost me any extra either.:cheers:

Back