Tool-less Chain Tensioner Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Our Disaster Relief Team has been donated a used Stihl MS180C.
The little saw runs fine. But, It has a Tool-less Chain Tensioner on it....

I would like to replace this tool-less thing with a standard side adjust chain tensioner.
Provided a good parts saw can be found, It look like a simple thing to do.

Is there anything that I need to know????

Thanks
David

The tool-less tensioner works fine. What don't you like about it?

That is just it.... The Tool-less tensioner DOES NOT work well at all.
I took the saw out, for the first time, Saturday morning to look it over.
Tried cutting a 10" Wild Cherry log in half.
It would not cut. The BAR was loose. Not the Chain the Bar.

The Bar would move Left and Right.
Went throught the process of tighting the bar and chain.
Cut into the log once more. 10 seconds later it was loose agine!!!!
After 5 or 6 of these sessions it seemed to me that Tool-less system does not work.
It might just be wore out.... But it does not work.

David

Our storm clean up group had some MS021's with the STIHL tool-less tensioners on them. Thought that they might be easier for volunteers. They sort of worked, but I did not like them: harder to adjust; harder to clean; harder to flip the bar; etc.

Replacing them meant:
- removing the toothed wheel attached to the guide bar (easy);
- replacing the side/clutch cover with a conventional one ($25? new OEM);
- adding the adjusting screw assembly ($15 - 20? new OEM);
- adding a second bar mounting stud (if possible).

I decided that it was not worth the cost and effort for those saws. If yours is not functioning correctly, I would look closely at the bar mounting surfaces of the side cover, the plate next to the oiler, etc. Compare to an illustrated parts list (IPL). Something might be damaged, or missing, such as some of those plastic glides that help apply pressure to the bar? Might be why it was donated?

Philbert

Thanks Philbert:
That is the kind of info. I was hoping to get.

Got a lead on a DEAD MS180 with a normal chain tensioner. Hoping to pick it up for $15.00

Also learned that some saws with tool-less tensioners have the slot for the normal adjusting screw and some dont.
Cant say which I have... Will be looking when I get home.

You do a fair amount of Disaster Cutting.
There are a few other guys that do as well.
We need to start a Disaster Relief Thread. If there is not one.

Thanks
David

Got a lead on a DEAD MS180 with a normal chain tensioner.

A parts saw is definitely the best way to go! Save all of the left-over parts and either get your money back on CL, or keep for additional parts down the road.

You do a fair amount of Disaster Cutting. There are a few other guys that do as well. We need to start a Disaster Relief Thread. If there is not one.

Disaster Response Cutting - I don't want people to assume that my cutting is a 'disaster'!

There have been a few threads over the years - some people come and go. Some are storm-specific (e.g. 'Sandy'). Some apply differently to volunteer groups, versus for-profit tree services. Some of the stuff also applies to trail maintenance volunteers. A few examples re posted below. Feel free to bump one up, or start a new one (but let me know so I can follow it!).

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-disaster-relief-load-out.171150/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/rules-to-storm-scavenging-wood.179652/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/north-east-storm-prep-thread-lets-get-one-goin.212382/

I've got a couple of Stihl saws with the tool less tensioner. I don't like them but they do work ok. It's extra parts, makes additional things to clean and takes longer to change a chain or bar. That said, I would rather have a regular set up but wouldn't pay money to convert it.

Latest posts

Back