Toolbox

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Merry CHRISTmas! Hope all is going great for everyone on this special day! If your on here reading, I'm sure your either going to be braggin about your new toys or reading up on who got what!

Well, christmas is different for us this year. We won't be doing presents, but me and the wife have agreed to do a gift to each other. I have had to recently change my priorities for things. I think I have come to the conclusion that a toolbox in the back of the truck is a good idea.

Why, you may ask? Well, the inside of my truck has seemed to turn into a toolbox itself. I want to store them and other things in there. Gear for cutting wood and gear for my new "job".

I have recently applied to become a volunteer firefighter for the local area. If I'm going to be taking part in it, I can't be loading gear everytime I make a call. I have to be ready to go from the get go. No hestiation, life could be on the line.

So I figured that a toolbox would be the most logical thing to get to support all of my needs and would be a nice christmas present.

My question is, what is a good toolbox and how much is too much? I have been searching CL for toolboxes and there are some that are $100-200. They say fullsize boxes, but how big is it?

I would like to keep my stihl 044 with the 28" bar in the toolbox and my tow strap, first aid kit, chainsaw gear, etc.

Full length lid.

When I had a toolbox on my truck, I'd often get dressed into the turnouts in the bed. Was nicer and safer then on the side of the road. Still kept the gear in a bag, since if I made the station I'd just grab the bag and get dressed by the truck (or enroute before the great seatbelt crackdown :D )

I would just measure your truck bed and then just ask the folks on craigslist for their measurements, otherwise you'll get all sorts of different boxes that poeple think are full size. I have a better built one on both of my rigs now, they are decent boxes. Not the best and not the cheapest. You don't want to go too cheap, the latches/locks will mess up and they are a thinner aluminum (flimsy). If your carrying larger items I would go with the full length lid. I have the gull wing doors on the box on my ranger and it's easier for smaller stuff but not so great for large items. Make sure the latches/catches are adjustable, makes it easier to keep the lid latching snug. Can always go to a couple stores that sell them and check them out and get an idea of what you like, then watch craigslist/want ads etc.

How about some big plastic tubs? Get the right size for each type of gear and then strap them down. Would be more versatile to me and you can pull out the tub you need for what you are up to or dump them all at home when you need the box for other things.

Try to get a box with the full length lid,I've had a couple of the gull wing before and they both leaked water getting things wet in the box .
The one I have sits in the bed and is level with bed sides This way my camper will not hit the box.
The size depends on how much bed you are willing to sacrifice.regardless of size ,it will soon be to little..

A camper in the bed with a toolbox? Trying to picture that setup. Does the camper sit behind the box? Or are you talking about a canopy over the toolbox. I tried the plastic tote thing but there is no way to secure or lock them up if you need to stop anywhere.

I've used a Knaack tool box, 2' X 2' X 5', behind the cab. The locks are recessed and tons of room for winter work cloths, boots, tool boxes of varying sizes, or what have you, including large tools like chain saws. Bolt it down. You can still see over it as well for driving. It is even great for hiding Christmas presents now that it is in the garage. Expect to pay considerably more than a regular truck bed mounted box, but once you own one you will never give it up. There are many manufacturers and sizes available, often called 'job site boxes' or 'gang boxes'.

If you have Rural King or Tractor Supply stores near you they have tool boxes. This would give you something to put your hands on to get an idea of what will work.

+1 on the full width lid. Don't get a plastic one that sits on the rails. They sag.

They are handy but I find it seems to take up a lot of space.

i had a few different types, the full length lid is best.. dont buy plastic you will hate it. in the winter the snow gets in while driving down the road. steel will rust and aluminum corrodes.... pick your poison. i would advise going bigger then you think you need,you will wish it bigger if you dont. go to the nearest store and look at different choices then you can look for one you like used to save $$$$

My Delta does OK with rain. Blowing snow will infiltrate it. Of course the same snow blew a nice drift into my back seat through a minuscule crack in the sliding rear window weatherstrip.

The Delta is not a real high end box. It is just what they sell at the local Orchelens Store. I second a full width lid. I would look for a deep box since you are going to put your turnouts in them.

Don

I agree with forestryworks, if you can afford the weatherguard brand get it. It's well worth the money, probably around twice as much as you will find at the bigbox. They don't leak, are heavy-duty and lockable.

I have bought several across the bed boxes and have bought both. It all depends on what you are planning to store in it. As an EMT I like the wing type due to just open one wing and reach in and grab my jump kit. I did not like the deep box due to not being able to reach it from the ground. Everything you would end up jumping in the bed and digging through shovels, ect. I store my shovels, gas can under the box where it is sheltered.

A camper in the bed with a toolbox? Trying to picture that setup. Does the camper sit behind the box? Or are you talking about a canopy over the toolbox. I tried the plastic tote thing but there is no way to secure or lock them up if you need to stop anywhere.

I should of given more info,,I was refering to my fifith wheel camper.

The weathergaurds do seem to be a nice choice when it comes to those types of storage boxes. Although, a gang box is sounding quit appealing as I can hold alot of gear in there.

Now that I think of it, I do remember desiring to have one in the truck a while ago. If I can get one that sits low enough to see out the back, I would go that route. How to secure it though?

I've had traditional saddle boxes on my trucks in the past (all of which with 8' beds), full width lid, and never had an issue with them. My last one was a cheapo from Lowes that held up really well for me.

This truck's a short bed, so I'm looking at that Weatherguard gang box in the steel to be able to easily remove from the truck when I need the bed space. Trying to figure out a way to secure it to the bed when it's in there and leaning towards a locking cargo divider bar.

I can't comment on the Weatherguard, but I would stay away from the Tractor Supply Delta boxes. I had one and it worked great for about 6 months then all of a sudden you needed 2 people to close it. I could shut it from the drivers side and the passenger side would raise up.... walk over to the passengers side and push down on it and then the drivers side would fly up. The lids on those boxes are too flimsy and the struts would hold the lid up long enough for you to look in there and then slam shut on your head. I would recommend a UWS (United Welding Service) box. I have had mine for about 4 years now and the lid closes good and the struts are still strong. I think I paid about $225 for it back in 06.

Hey guys, been looking more here locally. I found one place that had some truck boxes. They were pretty spendy. UWS is what the guy carried as a matter of fact!

I wanted him to look for some gang boxes instead, but he did not have any luck. He said he would call tomorrow.

I stopped off at the local home depot and they have the husky brand boxes. It was $269 for the deep one. They also have a rigid gang box for $259.

I'm not sure what to do... The gang box is more appealing to me. Its just securing it, is the problem.

Here is the box I was looking at:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...ctDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=1

Here is the ridgid box:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here is a box on their site. I think its not too shabby:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back