Top-Line Hitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topndrop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have anythoughts as to the number of wraps to be used in a properly tied Top-Line Hitch? I personally use two top and two bottom wraps and I have never had it fail to sieze when weight was applied to it. However, one of our riggers insists that a "properly" tied hitch should have three bottom and two top wraps to provide adequate protection in event of a fall.

Cooments as always are appreciated.

The knot is actually named the TAUTLINE Hitch. Proper wrap counts depend upon the rope used and the climber's weight. :)

two down one up. always a figure 8 in the tail, I am 195lbs w/o equipment. If it really matters two up two down is the official knot, here anyways. Always a figure 8 in the tail.

IN NY its twodown,two up.OSHA rules I guess.I use the"suicide knot"as its called up here(two under,one over).I weigh 165 and I cant fuction on the two&two_One guy I know uses a 3&3 and swears nothing else is safe.But always the 8 in the tail

We are required by the company to tie taunt line hitch with 2 up and 2 down. On a side note, I highly recommend anyone still using the taunt line to at least look into and try the blakes hitch. I used taunt line to climb with for ten years or so. Then I was showed the blakes, and thats all I use now.

Do any of you guys ever <i>read</i>?&nbsp; The literature talks about a <b>tautline</b> but nothing about "tau<u>n</u>tline" or "top line" hitches.&nbsp; Not to mention that you've seen them properly addressed here...

just use a blake's hitch. it wont roll out. i fell (hard) on a blake's recently, and i feel more now than ever that it is bullet proof. it may glaze your line if you rappel extensively. but thats o.k. use a split tail-line on the same clip as your life line. i know this is a bit unorthodox compared to the systems alot of guy here use (slack tenders and whatnot)- but that's o.k. too. ive put it to extreme testing and it passes w/ flying colors. love that knot. or checkout www.mytreelessons.com :angel: great knots there.

Forget the tautline and use the blake's hitch. I fell one time on tautline and the knot just would knot catch. Fell about 30 feet before I could stop myself with my hands on the rope. Talk about a good case of rope burn! From then on out it's been the blake's and never another incident. You'll thank yourself from day one. Also, it doesn't tighten up so tight that you can't hardly move it. Can't say that for tautline.

tnttreeman said:
I fell one time on tautline and the knot just would knot catch. Fell about 30 feet before I could stop myself with my hands on the rope.

I've taken at least two spills on my TL, and she held up just fine. But a TL has to be set and dressed moreso than other hitches. When you respect that, she'll never fail ya. ;)

the only advantage i can in the blakes over the tl is that it does not require tending or adjustment. the guy who taught me to climb on a rope/opened my eyes to the real world of tree climbing, is old-school. he has like 48yrs exp or some like that. he uses the tl i suppose its all in the way you use it. personal preference i guess. in fact he only uses three wraps too. most people will talk bad about that knot though (sorry butch,nothin personal). i always used four

Forget about those archaic hitches, go with a v.t. its very adjustable works on wet, dry, new, old 7/16"-3/4" lines. you can add or subtract wraps/finger traps as conditions require. :blob2:

Think it is time for another climbing hitch poll??

I bet the old school tautline guys would have the edge this time around, over the progressive climbers who use a Distel or VT. Last time it was a dead even split, do we even have seventy climbers left here??

Larry

ok so maybe this isnt the best drawling but i tried

also note the other day i had my blakes hitch sieze so i pulled up my running end and used it

one handed

why would you need to tie it with one hand? in the tree mine is always tied on a split tail. so unless i cut my split tail im fine. i only need to be able to operate carabiners one handed. that is unless you always tie it on your tail

jamie

Back