Tophandles: Poulan XXV vs. Homelite Super 2 vs. Mini Mac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poulan S25
Homelite XL-2 or XL Super 2
McCulloch, any of them.

In that order for the top handles. I never believed a chainsaw could fly, till I saw a Super 2 go into orbit one day.

Yes, they will fly.
I damn near hit the last space shuttle in orbit with mine. LOL!!

Worst thing is, I just scratched the paint a little and ended up finding the problem, now I'm stuck with the thing, cuz it was free and darn near Dinger proof.

Stupid little thing is noisier than a Muff Modded 395XP!!!

You can't pay me enough to even think about tearing into another Mini-Mac.

I'd like to play around with a Poulan though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Poulan belongs at the top of this list.

Like it's been mentioned earlier, these little poulans are still in trees making money for guys.

Back in the 1970's my dad bought a top handle Poulan to cut out floor registers in new houses, he ran a heating and A/C business. The idea was to be able to go thru a new house quickly to get them "roughed in" without having to tote a generator on site.

Even though this was over 30 years ago, I remember the experience with that saw vividly. It was like every other Poulan I've encountered over the years, 20 to 30 pulls to get it to fire, ran like crap, oiler worked when it felt like it. I don't remember the model number, but it was identical to the green top handle reed valve models you see on Ebay these days.

Not meaning to bash Poulan's at all, I'm just destined not to ever own one, because for some reason, they HATE me! I even tried to make the brand jump a a short while back when the Poulan 330's became available at TSC. After going thru 3 of them with ZERO success, I finally accepted my destiny, and will never go down that path again.

Anyhow, we ended up with a small Stihl, maybe an 015?....and it ran FLAWLESSLY for quite a few years, starting on 1-2 pulls no matter how long it ran without being used.

I have also owned a couple of Mini-Mac's over the years, and really don't like them. They are NOT easy to work on, but a very compact design. I also have two top handle Power Mac 320's, or 330's, whatever number is the top handle model. I loaned one out and it's still going strong, the other one has a stripped out bar stud, otherwise it's fine. They didn't get mentioned in this deal, but are pretty powerful little saws, but not nearly as compact as the Mini-Mac's.......Cliff

My FIL has a little xxv thats runs and cuts good. The oiler on that saw prefers 30w over instead of your typical bar oil. He has cut a lot of fire wood with that saw. I have several of the mini macs, and have never took the time to get one running. I hate the fuel line setup on them. My wife's one and only saw is a homelite super 2 with the metal case and two triggers. I love that little saw, but I hate the fixed jet carb on it because it is overly rich. It still runs good though all I had to do to it was replace a couple duckbill valves and rebuild the carb.

Not meaning to bash Poulan's at all,

.......Cliff

That would be a novelty for you wouldn't it???

Seems like every time you post about a Poulan you bash them without really "meaning to"!

Poulan sold a million of those saws and Sears sold another million and it seems like many are still putting wood in the pile for their happy owners.................and then there's you.

Maybe it's just you.
Some people just don't seem to have any luck with a particular brand and maybe for you....that brand is Poulan.

Mike

My FIL has a little xxv thats runs and cuts good. The oiler on that saw prefers 30w over instead of your typical bar oil. He has cut a lot of fire wood with that saw. I have several of the mini macs, and have never took the time to get one running. I hate the fuel line setup on them. My wife's one and only saw is a homelite super 2 with the metal case and two triggers. I love that little saw, but I hate the fixed jet carb on it because it is overly rich. It still runs good though all I had to do to it was replace a couple duckbill valves and rebuild the carb.

Some had the H & L adjustment needles. The plastic housing XL I have has an adjustable H jet. The XL2 and the Super 2 I have only has the L jet and they are mag. housing.

"Seems like every time you post about a Poulan you bash them without really "meaning to"!

Poulan sold a million of those saws and Sears sold another million and it seems like many are still putting wood in the pile for their happy owners.................and then there's you."

Yep, then there's me, getting a rock or two throw in my direction every single time I make accurate comments from DIRECT experiences with certain equipment.

Shame on me to ever talk bad about anything on this Forum...LOL....Cliff

I have a McCulloch PM320 that my Dad bought new in 1981 or so. He never used it much. I brought it with me as a 'backup' saw when I was a teenager doing brush/orchard clearing jobs. When the 031AV got cranky, Dad's little cheap'o Mac took up the slack. Even the 'autosharp' chain worked OK. Never failed, and awlays started within a few pulls..............except when it sat for about 15 years unused in the shop and the carb diaphragms took a crap.

I'll rebuild the carb and replace the autosharp chain with a loop of 3/8" LP non-safety chain. It'll do pruning once in a while. Decent saw. Decent power. The chain brake handle is way to damn big though, and gets in the way in the brush.

I really like my little Poulan XX/Craftsman 1.9 top handle. It's extremely handy, has good power for the displacement, and is always an easy starter with the 'inboard' starter setup. It's easy to work on too. Only thing I don't at all like about it is the cheap plastic manual oiler pump body. It pops the check valve seat unless I run very thin oil.

The NOS pump body I bought through a dealer a couple of years ago does the same thing. I'll fix that sucker with an 'improved' seat that I'm making out of alluminum tubing (the original seat is made out of alluminum tubing too). Gonna swap the saw over to 3/8" LP too as I detest sharpening 1/4" chain...

I'd rather buy and run a $30 Poulan XXV saw than pay 20 times that for an MS200T. I've ran those glorified 020T's (and worked on 'em), and while they are impressive runners, I ain't paying six+ bills for a new one, and used ones are a serious headache. I'm not an arborist, and an XXV does the limited amount of top handle work I need done just fine. Cliff must have a rare genetic allergy to Poulans. I've had similar experiences with a few Stihls and Husky's over the years. Poop happens.:D

Last edited:
If you want to compare vintage top handles one to include would be the Echo. The CS-351 is a nice well built machine thats not to hard to maintian.

Performance is fine, not as good as the Poulan but still ahead of the other 2 listed. Weight is just so, so.

Cliff must have a rare genetic allergy to Poulans. I've had similar experiences with a few Stihls and Husky's over the years. Poop happens.

:agree2:

I bought a Husqvarna 141 new at a dealer and absolutely HATED that saw.

I took no less than 20 pulls to get it to fire on the average, some days it wouldn't fire at all.

It absolutely refused to re-start when hot. You had to race to refuel it and get it going quickly, or it was NOT going to start back up.

If you worked it really hard it would act "vapor locked", go lean in the cut, etc.

It had poor power for the cc's.

The oiler worked when it felt like it.

I used it for a couple of years to cut the 480CD loose if it ever got "pinched". (I was on a 1 saw plan until I got close to 50 years old when I could appreciated small fast cutting saws in lieu of doing everything with the 480CD).

It wasn't until I discovered this Forum that I found out the 141 was a "rebadged" Poulan!

What can I say, they HATE me!......Cliff

Cliff must have a rare genetic allergy to Poulans. I've had similar experiences with a few Stihls and Husky's over the years. Poop happens.

:agree2:

I bought a Husqvarna 141 new at a dealer and absolutely HATED that saw.

I took no less than 20 pulls to get it to fire on the average, some days it wouldn't fire at all.

It absolutely refused to re-start when hot. You had to race to refuel it and get it going quickly, or it was NOT going to start back up.

If you worked it really hard it would act "vapor locked", go lean in the cut, etc.

It had poor power for the cc's.

The oiler worked when it felt like it.

I used it for a couple of years to cut the 480CD loose if it ever got "pinched". (I was on a 1 saw plan until I got close to 50 years old when I could appreciated small fast cutting saws in lieu of doing everything with the 480CD).

It wasn't until I discovered this Forum that I found out the 141 was a "rebadged" Poulan!

What can I say, they HATE me!......Cliff

I generally find that if you hate a saw, it will hate you back. It's not limited to saws, by any means.

When you hate things, you generally neglect them or at least somehow find a way to expect poor performance and not do as much to rectify it. I think you just had a 141 that wasn't running properly. I LOVE the 36/41/136/141 series. Admittedly, the newer ones needed to be MM'd and retuned (like a lot of newer saws), but once you did that they were little pocket rockets. Good power for their size, not so much because they are powerful, but because they are so light.

There's no arguing though, Cliff, about that phenomenon of hating a piece of power equipment. We've all been through that with some piece of machinery. That said, don't fight it.. you're just not a Poulan guy. :cheers:

If you would send them my way, I'd be happy to help you rid yourself of them!!

Edit: Oh, hey.... this is a fun thread, thank you OP! I read through that 066BB thing last night... I was exhausted!

Last edited:
I generally find that if you hate a saw, it will hate you back. It's not limited to saws, by any means.

When you hate things, you generally neglect them or at least somehow find a way to expect poor performance and not do as much to rectify it. I think you just had a 141 that wasn't running properly. I LOVE the 36/41/136/141 series. Admittedly, the newer ones needed to be MM'd and retuned (like a lot of newer saws), but once you did that they were little pocket rockets. Good power for their size, not so much because they are powerful, but because they are so light.

There's no arguing though, Cliff, about that phenomenon of hating a piece of power equipment. We've all been through that with some piece of machinery. That said, don't fight it.. you're just not a Poulan guy. :cheers:

If you would send them my way, I'd be happy to help you rid yourself of them!!

Edit: Oh, hey.... this is a fun thread, thank you OP! I read through that 066BB thing last night... I was exhausted!

Yes I agree, the 141 isnt really a rebadged Poulan anyway. Yes its made in the Poulan factory but other then the engine, theres not much the same.

The engine appears to be the same as the 2900 saws which use a made in Sweden crank and has a good chrome plated cyl.

Disscussing anything Poulan with Cliff is like wrestling a pig in the mud. The more you wrestle the more you realize the pig enjoys it.

I never knew we were "arguing" about anything. Brand loyalty runs deep with most things.

Never said I "hated" Poulan's either. I sure they made some great saws in amongst the department store "low end" models. The restored saws Modified Mark posted about recently looked like nice units, and I'm sure they are, and serve him well.

With these sort of things, it's nearly impossible to keep the threads for heading into Ford vs Chevy deal, and I've accepted that fact being associated with this Forum now for several years.

What I try to do with all things, is just call it like it see it. You will not find a single professional logger or arborist in these parts running anything made by Poulan, not even back when they made better saws than the throw away plastic stuff that currently are sold by Walmart and Sears, etc. Even going back 30 years, you will see lots of Stihls, Husqvarna's, Jonsered's, Solo, Dolmar, and even an occassional Echo, but NEVER a Poulan in any configuration, wonder why?

When the Poulan 330's surfaced recently, I purchased 3 of them, with an open mind and really hoping that I could cross some brand loyalty issues and get a nice running Poulan into my line-up. That deal didn't work out for me either. All three saws I purchased did not run correctly, or up to my expectations.....and, in being consistant with the "trend" of this Forum, I was politely FLAMED for having problems with them and pointing this out in several threads running about them.

In any case, I accept defeat here, for whatever reason, my fault, Poulan's fault, nobodies fault, there will NOT be a saw from them in my line-up......Cliff

I don't have much brand loyalty with saws except little red Homies.

I like all Chebbys but I had one '84 1/2t 4 wd that hated me. It got into wrecks, swallowed water down the intake, hydro-locked and bent a rod, developed flats when driving thru the woods, column linkage fell apart way out in the buckerbushes and left us in ParK etc.

I tried to treat it nice, rebuilt the engine, recored the radiator, replace the throttle cable. Finally admitted defeat and sold it.

We called it the "Half Ton From Hell". It was possessed by an evil demon.

The '94 1/2t 4 wd Chebby that replaced it I wish I still had!

I'm kinda fond of the old Stihl 015. I did have one of them little Poulan top handles, they have good power.

I agree with that statement. After I got my hands on a n 015 out the door went the Super 2's. I had a mini mac for about a week before I got rid of that one.

Too bad Poulan was never big in our area. Those Super 25's get good reviews. I wished I would have had the oppertunity to try one.

The ultimate to me was the old square bodied 020 for a top handle.

To be honest, the Super25's shouldn't really even be used for a comparison here against the XL's and Mini Macs.

There so much superior in almost every catagory, were never really meant to be a entry level homeowner saw, and they were not priced like it either.

The Poulan Micro XXV is what Poulan had in there line that was a direct competitor to the others mentioned.

Now everyone knows I'm a Poulan guy, at least the older ones, but I don't really care for any of those older homeowner top handles, the Micros included.

That said I still like the construction of the Micros over the others . At least you can get to the carb on them in like a minute or less. The oilers worked well when fed only clean oil and in general there so much eaiser to maintain then the others.

The drawbacks were that they did require a few extra pulls to start when they had been setting for some time as they have a very long fuel line on them to fill up first. It is mandatory for the fuel filters and carb pump side diaphragms to be kept in good shape on them. Once started the first time, it was pretty much a non issue the rest of the day and they would start well with just a pull or two.

The other is the pressure style oiler would like to keep leaking for sometime after the saw was shut off. Cracking the oil tank cap after use to relieve the pressure after use did help.

Like the XL and the Minis there a cheap saw to begin with. Poulan must have done something right with them though as they sold millions of them.

When you get into the 2300 series of Micros, the extra power that came with them cannot be ignored when comparing to the others as well. The 2300 will pull a 16" bar with relative ease.

Last edited:
xl top handle

I was *just* going through my junk and found my old xl top handle. Put it on the bench for a looksee. It doesn't run now, but I managed to get some spark from it. I bought it well used years ago and cut all my wood with it for years, I mean a lot of wood, even big stuff, just kept gnawing away at it... One day it just never started again.....got retired, put in the heap. I just almost always went and got another running used saw all the time, but I don't throw anything away either. I took the muffler off-a hollow can with holes in it near as I can see, not much to it, and it was oily. Visual inspection of the cylinder and piston from that angle shows no scoring of note, but the ring looks a little sloppy fitting. It has an oregon bar on it I think 14 inches, not sure. I don't know if this one has points or solid state, never had the covers off of it to look. NO idea if it has any value to anyone or not, proly not, but thought I would throw this out in this thread.

xl homelite/textron "automatic oiling" UT 105074, serial 772780907.

It looks like this on that chainsaw collectors site:

Model Profile: XL

If you homelite guys think there might be interest, I'll put it in the classifieds, if not, back in the junk pile.

I also have an old green machine, I think it is a 7100, small anyway, 30 something cc most likely. Was running engine-wise just fine when parked, oil tank leaked like crazy, I used it a few days by squirting oil on the bar and chain! hahahaha. Went and got another saw then... I used to have the bar and chain and the clutch cover, dang if I can find them easy now, but I know I didn't throw them away, so I could proly find them in my junk if I looked a lot. The rubber bar mounting pieces are shot, another reason I parked it, but looks like one could cut them from an old lugged tire easy enough, just carve them out. That's what I would do anyway..cuz I am cheap! Same deal, if ya'all think there would be interest-you guys know a LOT more than me with these old saws- I'll put it on the classifieds for cheap or maybe swap or sumthin'. Rather see them go to someone who might appreciate them.

Used all three marques today on a big blowdown elm.

The E.B. 2.0" w/16" is an ergonomic disaster. Hands are too close together. Power is adequate but not spectacular by any means. He needs a 12" bar.

Homie XL w/12" is lightest of the bunch, good hand position and if you wait long enough it will cut thru anything. What do you expect for 26cc?

Poulan S25CVA w/18" (a little long you say?) is the heaviest but has good balance and power out the wah-zoo. The long bar makes it easy to reach and cut limbs overhead for a short fella like me. May not put a shorter bar on him afterall.

Latest posts

Back