Topped Cherry Tree....long horizontal branches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snipsnip

snipsnip

I just inherited this cherry tree at my new place, a topping far in its past has left some interesting branches. I am trying to figure out what is best for the tree going forward. After moving in I cut out the dead/rotting branches and pruned eveything up to about 6' 8" to allow walking under it, previously branches were touching the lawn.
overview.jpg

The tree has many thick branches growing horizontally, this is something I have not dealt with before. To me they look like they might be a hazard as some of them are quite long and resting on top of each other.

spread.jpg

Here are some pictures showing the vertical growth and branches in general.

leader.jpg
offset.jpg
pic.jpg

The tree also has a split at the base of two branches. Am I right in assuming these should be removed?

split.jpg

One last question, here is a branch that has part doubling back and forming an elbow, is there anything wrong with leaving it?

backwards.jpg

When looking at the tree from a distance I am thinking that for looks it might be helpful to remove some of the horizontal spread at the bottom and hopefully over the time the tree would take on a taller uniform appearance.

If I did nothing would that leave the tree prone to splitting, breaking and rot?

Thanks for reading my post.

TNTreeHugger
Solutions
What an interesting tree! Looks like a giant bonsai.

I'm waiting for a response to my question I posted yesterday and thought I'd browse the threads a bit... sorry I can't offer any "professional" advice.
I think any pruning would ruin the overall effect. I think it looks beautiful as-is.

Oldman47

Oldman47

ArboristSite Guru
Branches that touch when they cross need to be pruned back to a single branch and damaged branches should be removed. When that much is done what will you have left? The shape you have now is pretty in its own way but will you destroy the look by pruning properly?