Topping chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ilike the stihl 020t,a little pricey,but I've had mine 4years with almost no problems.Only run a 14 inch bar,if I need more saw I bring up a 372 husky with a 20 inch bar.It works for me.:D Dan

Since topping has not been accepted by ANY arborist association in the last THIRTY YEARS as proper tree care, I'd not recommend ANY saw for TOPPING. Except maybe Huskyman's used 009 he bought on e-bay for $60.

Many communities are being forced to write laws to protect trees from idiots who insist on BUTCHERING trees!:angry: :angry:

I wouldnt sell that saw to my worst enemy. Actually I have a buddy who wants to buy it, and he can have it. Brian I hope by "topping saw" he really means "limbing/trimming" saw. I agree no one should go out with the idea of topping. Stay away from the Stihl 009, go for the husky 136. One of the best values out there and sometimes you can find one for $149.

What if he was just clearing a lot, like they used to do back in the day, climb the tree, top it, take all of the limbs off in the air, then drop the tree. Stihl 026 with air conditioning. LOL

Neil

It's funny but we sell a lot of the Husqvarna saws with very few problems. We just sold three or four to the same outfit that has been running the 335XPT and the CS-340 Echo. Their guys like the Husqvarna better. The Echo is the best bang for the buck they just take a licking and keep on ticking. Later Butch

Good success with Red Max (Komatsu) G3100T.
A 3rd generation version model that's pretty well debugged.
Good power when compared to Echo CS300.
Good ergonomics.
Great air cleaning system. Almost 'dust free'.
Clean burn engine,...but not Strato Charged.
Reliable gear oiler.
Easy start.
1 year commercial warranty.
Dealer only line.
#1 pro line sold in Japan.
B & C swap with Echo, Husky, Poulan, etc.
USA sale $199.99 w/ 12". Add $10 for 14".

Trying to buy some market share, saving $60-70.
Dan Henry is a dealer, waiting for a Power Port version.

In my world reference to a topping saw means a removal saw, on that note a modded 346 cant be beat. Thats what I use exclusiverly now on conifer removals. Otherwise I wouldnt waste paying full price for a 200T used and in good shape maybe but new never again.

To help those still slogging through the dark ages of treespeak from getting pounced-upon:

Politically INcorrect term:
topping saw

Politically correct terms:
top handle saw
lightweight arborist saw
climbing chainsaw
trimming chainsaw
pruning chainsaw
alternative to 020T
alternative to cs-340
alternative to 335
loud, smelly alternative to Zubat

:angel: Group hug....do we feel better now?

find a 015av mine is over 10 years old and i run the crap out of for ever year i have had it....few 100 trees have been topped with it i would guess........

Back