Toro string trimmer-horrible frustration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My neighbor was tossing a Toro 28cc trimmer. It had less than 10 hours on it. She told me to take it. I put in a new plug, new fuel lines, new primer bulb, (they were all cracked ), put in a new fuel filter in the bottom of the tank. I disassembled the Walbro WT-457 carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner.; cleaned the tiny circular screen. Blew out all the orifices with compressed air. It fired right up and off I went, happy. For a while. It quit after several minutes. First it began running slow and erratically then it quit. Would not start again. I waited til the next morning. It fired right up. Then quit after 2-3 minutes. Loosened the gas cap. Still wouldn't start. Waited til the next day, started again.

I took a Dremel and ground off the limiters. Once I had it going, I tried tuning the H and L adjusting screw. It turns out the factory settings were good. L+ 1/2 turn out; H=1.5 turns out.

The plug is soaking wet when I look at it while trying to start it. Also gas is spitting out the carb throat.

So this is where I now am. It ALWAYS starts from a cold start, first thing in the morning. Then it begins running erratically, then it dies, and won't start again.

WWASD? (What would Arborist Site do? LOL)
a. Toss it ( I hate to throw it away, when it runs well, it's great.)
b. Get a carb kit online and rebuild it for $12-$15
c. Get a new WT 457 carb for $40 to avoid hassle.

Many thanks,
Tom

but really, if the plug is wet and gas pouring out then the diaphragm in the carb is leaking so a kit "should" fix it..but for $40 i spring for the new carb...

Last edited:
Coils do weird things like that, too. Always give a sniff with starting fluid to rule out a no-spark situation.

I second the coil notion i had an old homelite saw used to do exactly same thing took 3 different coils to correct the problem

Back