torque vs chainspeed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Voltage potential to ground

2. Current going through the neutral conductor itself, from the load to the neutral bus bar. A neutral technically cant "go to a load"........ it comes from a load. If it went to a load, it would be a hot lead

3. After you measure both, then you can answer that question better than anyone trying to explain it
1. The neutral is solidly connected to ground at the service panel, so there can be no voltage difference close to that location. Further out the combined load current flowing through the neutral will cause a voltage drop on the neutral conductor that does not exist on the ground. Therefore there is a differential voltage between the neutral and ground at that point. If you connect them a current will flow.

Another way to look at it is that if you provide a current path between N and Gnd far from the panel, the load current will be shared between the N and Gnd path back to the panel.

2. The load is connected from line to neutral, therefore the load current is flowing through the neutral (and technically since it's AC the direction of the current flow changes every half cycle). It is not supposed to be flowing through the ground, but some of it will if you give it a parallel path.

How does any of this imply that current flows without a voltage difference?

To the original question..

I say build em for torque.

If they want more chain speed then

A. my first choice would be using a wide nose/tip bar. I think this is a much nicer option than using...
B. going from say a 7pin to 8pin rim sprocket.

I really like how the wide nose bars cut!!! And I tried the 8pin sprocket, even with the 20" short bar it just wasn't right.

It's all about balance and porting the saw for it's intended purpose. You must have chain speed because the chain moving through the cut is what does the cutting. The more cutters you put through the log in a set time period, the faster it will generally cut, all else being the same. You must have enough torque for the chain to overcome the load of cutting the wood. If it doesn't, chain speed falls (this reduces the load) until enough torque is available to overcome the load. With a small hand held engine pulling a long bar, you sacrifice chain speed to overcome the load of the long bar in big wood because as the wood gets bigger, the ratio of available torque to load is greater. If you slowed chain speed enough through a gear drive, an MS170 could pull a 6' bar no problem.

This is the over-simplified way I see it. A stock 550xp has 3.75hp and does it's best work limbing, say 8" wood for ease of comparison. For a 3120xp to perform similarly in 48" wood, logically, since the load is 6 times what the 550 is seeing, it would need 6 times the hp of the 55oxp, or 22.5hp. It's got a by comparison a puny output of 8.4 hp, so you drop the load by reducing the speed of the cutters going through the wood. Now this is really over-simplified and easily picked apart I realize (and I've gone from torque to hp in the second paragraph for the ratio example), but power to load dictates whether you can afford more or less chain speed.

1. The neutral is solidly connected to ground at the service panel, so there can be no voltage difference close to that location. Further out the combined load current flowing through the neutral will cause a voltage drop on the neutral conductor that does not exist on the ground.

You can not have a voltage drop from zero, maybe you should research this a little more before digging this hole any deeper. Best to go and test any operating neutral like I suggested before

Lets get back to chainsaws ..............

You can not have a voltage drop from zero, maybe you should research this a little more before digging this hole any deeper. Best to go and test any operating neutral like I suggested before
It's not a voltage drop from zero. Current flows from the hot lead through the load, then from the load through the neutral and back to the service entrance where N & Gnd are tied together. Current flowing through the impedance of the Neutral conductor back to the N/GND tie point creates a positive voltage drop with respect to GND. Draw the circuit, it is simple. There is no mystery.

I'll stop now.

This is fitting for this thread.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422558491889.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422558491889.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 12
Please explain how making a saw slower than stock meets your build goals of the "optimum blend of torque and rpm."

Please explain how you are here merely on a wing and a prayer and through peer pressure but still see fit to go right for the jugular of one the most successful chainsaw builders in North America who is also one of the site's most prolific posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back