Total bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polished or not, that bar shure looks good on that dolmar! :cheers:

I wonder why they stopped using solid re-badged GB, and went to a laminated bar of unknown origin?

Hey as mentioned the Tsumuras are first class, but don't underestimate the GB Pro Tops if they are the Aussie made ones. Their finish has always been a bit rough but as far as toughness goes they are up there with the best. If your aim is to just look pretty, then go the Tsumura. If you actually USE your saw then you'll be happy with either bar...

Right, did not mean to dog the GB or anything. Just mildly charmed by that fine finish on the Total. The saw works, and I don't fret:cry:that it's 18 grams heavier with chipping enamel paint (and that's on my Windsor bar). Like the Oregon bars, the GB bars are readily available, w/ the GB being the only .325 24" sm I've found.

regards

I wonder why they stopped using solid re-badged GB, and went to a laminated bar of unknown origin?

No idea, but that GB bar looks nice! It reminds me of the Windsor versions of the Jonsered bars.

It has been mentioned already but the Total II bars sold here are laminate. I have one on my 2145, seems to be okay quality. I don't remember where they are made off the top of my head, but want to say Taiwan. That could be wrong, my memory fails me now and then.

Well it "did" look good. This is a photo of it a month ago (saw on left)...

12122009670.jpg

As far as a laminated bar of unknown origin I think you'll find they're made in Taiwan as mentioned.

Right, did not mean to dog the GB or anything.
regards

Thats OK mate, I didn't take it literally :cheers:

I'm sure you'd find that GB in Australia had contracts over the years to supply bars to nearly all major bar suppliers. I've seen GB Pro Tops and Hard Tops (hard noses) renamed as Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Homelite, Total II and I'm sure more that I've forgotten some or not aware of others. Thses were all purchased direct from GB in Melbourne, Australia as well. I'm guessing economics and supply all play a part as you would never dump Australian made GB bars for being poor quality. The up and down exchange rate has probably had something to do with it in the past but now being Chinese made I'm sure they'll have very few major companies knocking on their door for supply.

Last edited:
Well it "did" look good. This is a photo of it a month ago (saw on left)...

12122009670.jpg

As far as a laminated bar of unknown origin I think you'll find they're made in Taiwan as mentioned.

Thats OK mate, I didn't take it literally :cheers:

I'm sure you'd find that GB in Australia had contracts over the years to supply bars to nearly all major bar suppliers. I've seen GB Pro Tops and Hard Tops (hard noses) renamed as Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Homelite, Total II and I'm sure more that I've forgotten some or not aware of others. Thses were all purchased direct from GB in Melbourne, Australia as well. I'm guessing economics and supply all play a part as you would never dump Australian made GB bars for being poor quality. The up and down exchange rate has probably had something to do with it in the past but now being Chinese made I'm sure they'll have very few major companies knocking on their door for supply.

The advantage of insomnia, real-time comms. So GB is Chinese now? I'm not one to say nothing good can come out of China. Just a place that makes stuff. Too bad it is mostly crap, though I blame the motives of the companies that moved there in the first place. That said, if GB is all chinese, my hopes are dashed. Really after a pro .325 24" sm husky. My reasons are sound, found nothing though. Wondering if I can put a .325 tip on a 3/8 bar with any decent maker. Looks not for Oregon bars.

regards

The advantage of insomnia, real-time comms. So GB is Chinese now?
[snip]
regards

Still Australian owned, but has a tie in with a Chinese manufacturer so the majority of bars are going to be made there now.
GB chain is Chinese manufactured, and I'm guessing their rim sprockets, etc will be too.
We think the harvester and Ti CN-40 bars are still to be made here, but really ??

The advantage of insomnia, real-time comms. So GB is Chinese now? I'm not one to say nothing good can come out of China. Just a place that makes stuff. Too bad it is mostly crap, though I blame the motives of the companies that moved there in the first place. That said, if GB is all chinese, my hopes are dashed. Really after a pro .325 24" sm husky. My reasons are sound, found nothing though. Wondering if I can put a .325 tip on a 3/8 bar with any decent maker. Looks not for Oregon bars.

regards

Unfortunately mate I'm afraid so. Reliable industry sources told me that GB were going Chinese with bars and chains (their new "Evo" line of chains - very bad by all accounts) quite a while back. GB has had numerous press releases (kept rather silent!) also stating this. I have them and have posted them on this site previously. The owner/manager of GB has also been seen on stands in China at trade shows supporting GB's new found allegiance with Chinese manufacturers. If you want Aussie made GB get in fast. As far as I am aware Stens had or still have massive stocks of Aussie made GBs. Don't settle for just "Australia" written on the bars either - ensure they are the real deal and made in Australia.
I'm hanging onto my Aussie made bars like you wouldn't believe ;)

Unfortunately mate I'm afraid so. Reliable industry sources told me that GB were going Chinese with bars and chains (their new "Evo" line of chains - very bad by all accounts) quite a while back. GB has had numerous press releases (kept rather silent!) also stating this. I have them and have posted them on this site previously. The owner/manager of GB has also been seen on stands in China at trade shows supporting GB's new found allegiance with Chinese manufacturers. If you want Aussie made GB get in fast. As far as I am aware Stens had or still have massive stocks of Aussie made GBs. Don't settle for just "Australia" written on the bars either - ensure they are the real deal and made in Australia.
I'm hanging onto my Aussie made bars like you wouldn't believe ;)

Thanks for that. Stens $75 for 075-373. Jim's Mower (whoever that may be), $52. Price reflects orgin perhaps. I'll hold out hope for NOS, given the oddball size.

They are GREAT! We have run them on our rental saws for years with no problems. They are made by tsumura. Our 24 inchers cost around 40 dollars and our 16 inch bars are around 26 dollars.....maybe cheaper, I have to look at the invoice.

Wow,

you must get them at cost!

My 20" was a bit more than you get a 24" for.
a>

Worth the extra few bucks in my book.

I took a picture of a handful of bars that I have in the shop, but need email the picture to someone. Explorer is down for me, but Firefox is working... for some reason I cannot upload pictures to my photobucket account when I am on Firefox.
I have part numbers to follow the upload of my picture as well. Thanks guys!

I took a picture of a handful of bars that I have in the shop, but need email the picture to someone. Explorer is down for me, but Firefox is working... for some reason I cannot upload pictures to my photobucket account when I am on Firefox.
I have part numbers to follow the upload of my picture as well. Thanks guys!

You can upload the pics straight from your 'puter by clicking the 'manage attachments' button in the 'additional features' box below the 'reply to thread' box.
You may have to resize them though using something like irfanview, or I just click 'send to' 'mail recipient' and T/bird asks me do I want to resize them, so I click that and resave them then upload at a much more view friendly size.

BTW, I haven't used IE for years, I much prefer FF.

Here they are, in a low-res GIF file. Glad I could post them though, and thanks a ton Rick for the help. Will shoot you a rep in a min.

From left to right, 122ML3-2, 306ML3-2, T080SN2-2, 122ML3-2, T079SN2-2, 61614 (14" Mac, Rem.).
I have more, but this is what I could get my hands on tonight. This is just to let you guys know what I have, I will post them in the classifieds when my saws sell (so I'm not taking up so much space in the classifieds section).

I love them. I run Stihl Bars on the stihl's and Total super/Tsumara on the husky's and J reds and dolmars. I've been running them for over 5 years now. They are the best wearing bars I have found and the finish remains good too. `I bought a stockpile of 20" and 24" husky bars about 3 years ago for $22/$28

Wow,

what a deal. were those the Super Bars you got for that price?

I would stock up too at that price!:cheers:

Wow,

what a deal. were those the Super Bars you got for that price?

I would stock up too at that price!:cheers:

Yup those total super bars I got were made by Tsumara. not sure who makes them now. The regular Total bars were GB bars. check some of my old posts and you'll likely find a picture or 47 of Total super bars from 3-4 years ago

Latest posts

Back