Total Newb question about sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly haven't gotten the hand filing thing down yet but did purchase the NT chain sharpener and have done a number of the mods as described in other threads.

It does a remarkable job and I have quite a scar on my right thumb and part of the nail missing on my right middle finger to prove it.

I won't go into details since as soon as I saw the blood pouring out I realized just how stupid I was for doing what I did......but the chain was sharp as hell!

I did buy the Oregon hand sharpening kits to keep in my saw boxes so I can touch them up rather than having to take them in for a full redo. Haven't used them yet so really can't say anything other than they're in the saw boxes and I'll find out when I give them a try.

THX!

I think I did the same thing, I have a nice 'flat spot' in my left thumb nail that doesnt get mentioned too much, but hey, everybody falls down at least once...:)

The Vallorbe link, if you still need it.

Bozzchem,
If your still looking for that Vallorbe kit, (since its been a bit over a year since your original post) I found this at Amicks in NC.

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Vallorbe_5_32_Chain_Sharpening_Kit_p/vallorbe 532 sharpening kit.htm

Pretty much anybody's setup will get you there. Stihl, Oregon, Husqvarna, Carlton, (and many others) all make devices to assist in hand filing and raker cutting. Most of them will get your chains as sharp or sharper than a machine grind will.
Personally, I use Oregon's bar clamp style, cause I still can't hold the angle correctly even with a witness mark, and another mark on the file guide.......

Great thread!! I too can sharpen knives, planes, router bits...etc. I've never been shown the right way to sharpen my saw chains.
Doin' it wrong for a quarter century:confusedn:

I certainly haven't gotten the hand filing thing down yet but did purchase the NT chain sharpener and have done a number of the mods as described in other threads.

It does a remarkable job and I have quite a scar on my right thumb and part of the nail missing on my right middle finger to prove it.

I won't go into details since as soon as I saw the blood pouring out I realized just how stupid I was for doing what I did......but the chain was sharp as hell!

I did buy the Oregon hand sharpening kits to keep in my saw boxes so I can touch them up rather than having to take them in for a full redo. Haven't used them yet so really can't say anything other than they're in the saw boxes and I'll find out when I give them a try.

THX!

Rest assured I'll be wearing leather gloves from now on. I thought I was going to need stitches but the bleeding eventaully stopped so I didn't bother.

Total newb mistake.

Fooey I never wear gloves course my right index knuckle is scar tissue lol. The one thing I never see mentioned is file one direction. I see many :newbie: sea sawing a file like a rasp lol. That dulls a file quick! Note: get a new file when it gets dull, cheap insurance on right index knuckle:monkey:

Last edited:
Back