Total Noob Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozzchem

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted but I finally took the Husky 455 Rancher out to take care of two trees in need of felling.

Apparently I didn't undo the chain brake before attempting to change the blade and now the blade cover won't fit back on. The chain brake spring must be one hell of a strong spring since I can't move the damn thing back wide enough to allow the cover to fit. Hell, I couldn't see what would hold it in place once its properly positioned.

Is there an "insider" know-how about how to do this so I can get it back running? My only other option is to take the cover up and see if the hardware store can do it for me.

Don't ask me about the felling process. One went great.....the other NOT so great. I'm learning...

If you can't get it back on,I'm not sure how it came off. You could pull the clutch and then put brake cover back on and then pull the brake back to disengage. It all comes down to being able to turn the sprocket on the cover without it being mated to the brake handle sprocket. Can you angle to two together enough to mate them to disengage handle without taking the clutch off?

I pulled the clutch cover on my 272xp and then engaged the chain brake. It's hard as :censored: to disengage without putting it back on the saw. There is enough wiggle room to slide it back on the studs enough to disengage the brake though. I was just curious.

I did the same thing early on and as i recall, I loosened the chain which allowed the brake to connect back together and the cover to fit tight so I could get the brake to disengage. Good luck!

I did that once with my 261. It's very very hard to disgage it. The dealer will have a tool for it, just bring it to them.

i did the same thing on a 394......thought i had broken it.....talking about a strong spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!...asked the same question here and was told to put it in a vise...works like a charm........try it with a towel to protect the finish.

Much thanks for all of your responses. I fixed it by tightening down the cover as much as I could and then disengaging the brake. It worked!

Now the damn thing won't start. I guess I'll be doing some searches about what causes these damn things to work great one day and not start the next. I've seen other posts on other sites about issues with the Husqvarna saws. Hell, I went through this back when it was freezing cold and now I'm going through it while it's roasting hot. Maybe the Husky is a bit too #####y?

I'm starting to think I should have listened to my buddy and got a Stihl.

Thanks again to all.

Much thanks for all of your responses. I fixed it by tightening down the cover as much as I could and then disengaging the brake. It worked!

Now the damn thing won't start. I guess I'll be doing some searches about what causes these damn things to work great one day and not start the next. I've seen other posts on other sites about issues with the Husqvarna saws. Hell, I went through this back when it was freezing cold and now I'm going through it while it's roasting hot. Maybe the Husky is a bit too #####y?

I'm starting to think I should have listened to my buddy and got a Stihl.

Thanks again to all.

Flooded? All chainsaws have issues from time to time. Think of them as women and you get the idea. Today fantastic tommorow ill tempered!

:deadhorse::deadhorse:No hunny I didn't just wright that somebody must have hijacked my account!

:laugh:

Good luck!

Actually, I may have to take the blame on this one. I keep gas stored with Sta-Bil (or whatever it's called) and made a mix which left me high and dry.

I mixed up a fresh batch of gas/oil about 15 min. ago and ran it through a few paces and she roared to life. I guess the chainsaw needs gas straight from the pump rather than gas that is stored with stabilizer. Lesson learned and it won't happen again.

Of course my buddy with the Stihl tells me his will run off any gas at any time...whatever.

Actually, I may have to take the blame on this one. I keep gas stored with Sta-Bil (or whatever it's called) and made a mix which left me high and dry.

I mixed up a fresh batch of gas/oil about 15 min. ago and ran it through a few paces and she roared to life. I guess the chainsaw needs gas straight from the pump rather than gas that is stored with stabilizer. Lesson learned and it won't happen again.

Of course my buddy with the Stihl tells me his will run off any gas at any time...whatever.

No problem then with giving him then the old gas! :laugh:

Kind of reminds me of the fellow who never had to file his chain and clean the airfilter in many years!

Last edited:
Dump the old gas in your car. Only buy enough gas that your gonna use in say a month. Don't store gas for chainsaws. Very bad for the saw. Do a search on old gas or something like that. I see Wal Mart sells pints of pre-mix. Probably a good idea in your case.

You said you were gonna take it to a hardware store to get fixed. Did you buy the saw at that store and did they show you how to start the saw. Just curious.

Dump the old gas in your car. Only buy enough gas that your gonna use in say a month. Don't store gas for chainsaws. Very bad for the saw. Do a search on old gas or something like that.

I just started doing this also.

Did the same thing accidentally on my 455, I couldnt figure why the cover was kind of hard to get off, then realized what I had done, fixed it like you did. The 455 is kinda picky about gas and altitude I found out, and the limiters need to go. I brought mine to the shop and after about 10 minutes of tinkering he had it tuned. He actually removed the limiters but didn't say anything, now I can and have got it tuned right. I have it sold for $250 bucks if I want, and was thinking twice about getting rid of it, but I ran my new 357 today and that 455 cant touch that saw, what a little monster. Might keep it for the wife or daughter to learn how to use, but all it will see is back-up duty or light sawing, there is no comparison between those two saws, I will NEVER buy a homeowner saw again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back