Totaled 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad no one was hurt!

This looks like a good opportunity to ask a question that has been bugging me. I see lots of mention of minot structural repair using JB Weld-- what about Marine Tex? I have more experience with it and find it to adhere well and be damned tough stuff. My MS460 has some bad gouges on the case bottom and I want to "resurface" it to prevent more damage that could lead to leaks.

2Door

Glad no one was hurt!

This looks like a good opportunity to ask a question that has been bugging me. I see lots of mention of minot structural repair using JB Weld-- what about Marine Tex? I have more experience with it and find it to adhere well and be damned tough stuff. My MS460 has some bad gouges on the case bottom and I want to "resurface" it to prevent more damage that could lead to leaks.

2Door

Marine Tex seems to be the prefered way of bedding rifles here at the moment, It was Devcon for a while thats what i used in mine.
The thing with JB weld is its easy to get in small quantity's and fairly cheap compared to getting a TUB of Marine Tex

put it on CL for $1000. list it as "normal scratches" for this saw and say that the pictures don't do it justice. include a case, 4 stroke oil, mill-bastard filing kit, and mention you will throw in a tube of JB weld. sold!!! in 5 minutes.

Just do like everyone else and put it on Ebay.

"May need to be adjusted for your area"
"Started fine the last time I tried"
"Should be an easy project"

Did he/she have a cheap or no face in it? I mean a 10" tree? Really? Did he back it up before he faced it? Not being mean, but a 10" tree?

Looks like someone used Echo mix oil, doesn't it? At 40:1, I bet.

Good piston, bad jug - that's rare!

Aw, that saw ain't totaled. See if you can get romeo to take her in. He'll use a little bailing wire, zip tie's, and medical tape and make a 60cc gas race saw out of it.:)

Andy

Actually, the damage DOES look a bit familiar. Got any vid of your squashed bug? Its the ugliest and fastest under 60 I have ever built.

Here is a pic right after it was smashed with a trailer hauling a skidder, and right before it took first and second place in an under 60cc race in Cloudcroft.
357xpVSGooseneckTrailer001.jpg

a) Glad I'm not that employee.

b) Glad I'm not the employer.

Guy that lived a quarter mile down the road, nearest neighbor, decided to do some tree cutting a few yr. back, between jobs, make some $$ hawking firewood. Hired himself a crew of fellows who drank a bit more than the normal drinker, as in all night [and all day on days off] [hired them off the street, in other words]. Stuck with it for almost a year. I think at last count the five of them had trashed about a dozen saws, trees where they cut were averaging about 12", a few went to 20" or so. I doubt the guy made any profit at all. The woods up there are still full full of fading plastic gal. bar oil jugs, beer cans, plastic bread bags, etc. [He told me once that a half doz. or so of the trashed saws were trashed when those little trees fell on them. Others when they'd be rolling the rounds or logs down the steep hillside and onto the saws they'd dropped there, in the way. Also lost a few gallons of bar oil, several five gal. cans of gas, nice thermos, couple lunch boxes, etc. etc. due to falling trees. Duh. Only one fell across his pickup, left a big dent in the side of the bed but still driveable.]

Last edited:
The guy is a good kid (saving up money to go to law school next fall) strong as an ox and a quick learner. He had never picked up a saw until 6 weeks ago, he still has alot to learn but I would dare say he is already better than most at this stage. I still have to step in and give him advice or correct him but who doesn't need that now and then. Today he jumped back on the horse and cut about a dozen snags the largest being 21" DBH. He now has to sling my 440 with full skip now since he destroyed the other. :chainsaw:
My boss was cool about it, just glad no one got hurt. He's just glad the workman's comp doesn't go up. :clap:

This brings to mind a question i had of why dont more people bore cut. Its a LOT safer and would have saved the tree from splitting and also saved you about 600 bucks or what ever one of them little guys go for.

Back