Tote basket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A client did a test. Stacked to the top, cut 16" long took 3 tote cages. Wood that long thrown into them and it took 4 1/2 cages. He bought 2 truck loads, 60 cages.

Well after the azz whipping many members subjected me to. Calling me a every name in the book and causing the tread to be blocked,, because they think i was lying. I have blocked all the negative members from responding to my threads.
So hopefully some of that will stop.
The hatred was very uncalled for. So I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
My tots hold a 1/2 cord. I have tested mine and they do hold that much wood.
I'm not getting into an arguing session over it. There are some great people willing to help and offer solutions instead of criticism.
Good luck with your tots, and your firewood operation.
Respectable members are still welcome. I don't expect everyone to agree with my methods, everyone has there way that works for them. Instated of insults and name calling and promoting hatred and hostility among AS members, I would just prefer you keep your negative opinions to yourself. One can be helpful without making someone feel attacked.

If you just loose fill and not stack (like in your picture) a cord is anywhere from 165 to 200 cu ft all depending on how tightly the splits fall in.

It's one reason all the wood I sell by the cord is stacked.

If you just loose fill and not stack (like in your picture) a cord is anywhere from 165 to 200 cu ft all depending on how tightly the splits fall in.

It's one reason all the wood I sell by the cord is stacked.

The wood in the baskets in the pictures I posted are just chunk odd ball size pieces and sold as is.
Regular 18" split pieces stacked properly, they will hold a half cord but you have to stack it about 6" over the top rim.
If the chunk wood is carefully put in where most of the air gaps don't exist, then it's still about a half cord.
I've tested it and it's the same. Besides if most wood sellers are honest, there really selling face cords and not true 128 cubic feet of solid cord of wood.
The costumer can measure the basket and decide for themselves if its worth the price.
And I never clam its exactly a half cord. I call it a basket that holds about a half cord.

I also don't have enough baskets to put split wood in. I use the baskets for chunk wood that wont stack.

I've been looking at totes. I'd love to use them. They tend to go for 50-100$ around here. Ive seen two different sizes, 275 and 330 gallons. The dimensions are 40x48x46 for the 275s and 40x48x54 for the 330s which works out to 49 and 60 cubic feet respectively. Of course you can't stack below the bottom of the cage so you lose 3-4 cubic feet there.

Not looking to add to any kind of fight here just thought I'd point out that the 275 gal totes stacked to the top would be right around 1/3 cord and 330 gal tote stacked 6-8" above the top would be right around 1/2 cord.

I bought some used bulk bags last year for 6-7$ a piece on eBay. I'm going to experiment with a bag full of uglies to see if the wood will dry. I don't sell any wood. It's too much work for the return. I do however use as much of what I drag home for heat as possible.

Bulk bags like Super Sacks? We use them for sawdust collection (sell it) and they are pretty much waterproof. I've had wet sawdust get moldy in them, so I'm sure wood would do the same.

Bulk bags, super sacks, yeah. I found some used ones on eBay for 5-7$ a piece. I was using them last year just to bring wood in to the garage from the outside stacks. It saved quite a bit of work and mess vs bringing in hand cart loads and stacking them again. I got some that were 40x48x36. Those were a bit too small. I also got some that are 40x48x60 and those are a bit too big for my little bobcat. I have found all kinds of other uses for them.

I wonder if I cut some vent holes if it could work.

I have 120 some of them. I cut the 1 long side off of them. (a 48" side) The wood is cut and split to 18". Most of the baskets are 48" tall, some 54". (265 gal vs. 330 gal) Most are the smaller, 265 gal model. So two rows of 18" wood, 48" wide and 48" high is a "facecord" (an illegal term when selling wood) So, 1/3 of a cord. 3 baskets to a cord. The baskets can accommodate 24" wood as well which would make 1/2 cord per basket. That is stacked super tight. I'm with Valley Firewood, 200 cu.ft. to a "loose cord".

I bought the first 30 baskets from another guy who did firewood that was getting out of it. His dad made thousands of yards of mulch a year and he used the old mulch dye totes. The next 60 or so came from a chemical factory I did repair work at as part of my "real job". They dealt with complex polymers for specialty applications. I had to disassemble them on site because of the chemicals they had in them. The last 2 truck loads came from a fracking company that had them listed on CL. They needed them gone before an inspection and I ended up getting them for $5 each since I would take all (67 or 68??) with a couple free damaged ones thrown in. Gutting the top rails and plastic bladder sucks, especially when they still have liquids in them. But they are sweet when people are lined up to pick up wood after the first snow flies......

Here is the first load I got of totes from the "liquidated" firewood producer. I bought the totes for the price of they wood they were filled with. So essentially, I sold the wood for what I paid for the tote and wood together......

goose 1.jpg

Just moved about 60 totes around at the neighbor buddy of mine, made a fence to keep his sheep in. Stupid Photobucket is down. Will try to get em up tomorrow.

20160607_205235_zpsm0rjtp0h.jpg
20160607_205230_zpsdrenrjog.jpg

IMG_2282.JPG I built these out of 3x3 angle and 3/4 inch plywood. When not hauling wood they are used as carry alls - The other one has removable sides with saw holders and chain holders etc for venturing out to cut.. this one is 4x4x5 holds about a 1/2 cord of wood. I set them in the garage and then use plastic tots to carry wood into house. works good for me.

Wish I could find them that cheap around me.. They are close to $150 Cnd for them. Found these lately instead.. Not as mobile but fully enclosed from the weather IMG_20160616_061143766.jpg and hold almost a cord.

Latest posts

Back