Toughest saw ever made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is the toughest saw ever built? I'm just curious what everyone's opinions are on this.
For me I cant really say because I dont quite know.

Stihl 020 AV. Dropped one from about 25 feet, and again around 45 feet. Kept on running. Probably stihl running today.

I have to wonder if the test of time is the best measure....some of these oldie but goldies that still function have proven tough over time. How about a Homelite XL800 or XL 920 series? Maybe a Stihl of that vintage...When I look at old saws, That series Homelite still seem to be in working and sometime good condition. Notice they are getting good bucks for them on eBay as well. There has to be a reason.

XL-12. There were millions of made (don't know actual number millions might be a stretch) People swore by 'em. They took more abuse than a Timex.

I will go with Rich on this one, 066 stihl, one of the fastest stocksaws I owned and you could not kill it, it just keeps going and going

I would have to vote fo rthe Homelite XL-12 not because I am a fan of them but because they just seem to hang around. I get them in all the time and the only thing wrong usually is bad gas. Nothing is ever broke and things have got to be a minimum 30 years old. As for the old dinosaurs; I think the bigger the saw generally the fewer hours on it and thus disqualifies them. I see a lot of 075 sitting around in garages all the time in great shape but that is because the 031 is beat all to crap from doing the majority of the work. JMO

you're right about the big saws. sure is alot of them 031's that look real bad still truckin'. got one myself. thing has had a hard life. I got it from a yard sale for $5 in a bucket. pop gave me a used cyl and piston. put it all back together and she runs like a champ.

my 2 cent's but my PM 610 was a goodwill saw it was beat to a pulp when i got it on the out side a little streaking on the cylinder and some carbon build up on the exhaust port but still a strong running saw still see a few hear and there and parts can still be had but it is a newer saw in the scheme of things ( late 70's to mid 80's)
:rolleyes:

XL-12's seem to refuse to die, Frontiers where tough beyond reason(strong for their size to). I think the 041 Farmboss was tougher than the 031, just rattled you a bit more without AV, the 041's where simple to do minor repairs on everything was in sight, where the 031 was kinda miserable to work on

I have a soft spot for the Mac 33, Super 33, 35.
The Husqvarna 65 will be my choice. First saw of a era.

Back