Toughest saw ever made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for the Homelite XL - 12 series. These were tanks in my opinion, remember seeing a few with same design sold with Poulan badges so no idea how many were made. Poulan s25 pro series pretty durable also, no antivibe bushings to wear out and no plastic parts. Have throw in the Stihl 044 also as a tank saw, been around a long time and keeps on running.

not being sure of your definition of toughest, i think the saw that was able to take the most abuse and neglect was the homelite xl-12. i have seen them run with straight gas and come back. feel off trucks on the highway and survive. trees feel on them. i remember they did boil the gas in the tank at times. i still have a couple i think.......
marty

I have used only 2 saws in last 25 years.

I cut firewood for about 3 households. And clear lots for new houses, etc.
Stihl 020 AV is the one I limb the tree with.
I bought a used one probably 20 to 25 years ago It looked like it was the saw used in the commercials Stihl ran years ago dragging a saw behind a pickup. Housings are cracked in a couple of places, handle mounts have been welded.
It does need a carb, but I have learned to live with it.
Compression is unbelivable.
My dad passed away in 1980 and I use his Homelite Super XL Automatic he bought new in late to mid 70's..
I can't tell you the number of bars and chains I have burned up, (I can not sharpen a chain)
It has worked hard. A lot of people who give me trees to cut down for the firewood want the stumps of the trees cut flush or below ground .
That saw has been in so many stump holes cutting dirt and stump.

Boils the gas almost constantly.(Mild winters in foothills NC).
It has been my main saw till just a month ago.
Only parts replaced have been a fuel line.
It still runs fine, compression is very good.

What is amazing about both saws is the poor air filter systems they have that so much dirt collects on carb side and both appear to have full compression. :dizzy: ?
But recently this 47 year old decided it was time to treat himself to some new saws. :blob2:
New MS260PRO and a new MS660.
(Stihl has 12 months same as cash fianacing)
I am so happy with these new saws I am buying 2 other Stihl models , but that is for another topic.
BTW I have a vintage Stihl I just bought at a yard sell. Sthil 08 5 s/n SRA 7504-03 (or model 08SE) I don't know exactly what it is.
I wanted it for a conversastion piece.
It looks as if in very good cond,no paint wore off.
Thanks for allowing me to ramble on.
Johnny Walker

Last edited:
As I have not been around saws for a long time I cannot comment. Almost every saw I have had something wrong with it when I bought it. The darn 046 is completly blown. The top end any way. But I think that was not the saws fault just user error. I agree with Marco, 031s are a big pain to work on. 041s are literly tanks since most of the saw is a gas tank. Or a good chunk of it.

I would lean towards the 038, but I have a 056 that I got 20 or so years ago that still runs well. That saw has cut from AK to SoCal, and it still screams. Its to tired to beat a stock 066 but a few years ago no problem.

These 051-056-075-076 seem to last forever. I still get them in the shop on a regular basis and it amazes me that some of them still run.

Stihl tough

OK,I stole Ford's ad.
Looking upstairs in used parts, I lack a few models. 029 (laugh hearty folks),08, 038, 051.
I had operators run 051's for millions of board feet with only normal maintenance. I know, it needs a seat and steering wheel, but it was probably the longest lived, in constant use, saw I ever saw.

Have to put in a vote for the XL-12. My first one I bought from my foreman at Davey in 1968. He rolled it across the lawn under the crane truck outrigger while repositioning the truck. Put on a new rear handle, sold it to me and bought the area rep a new one. I used it for 12 years and sold it to my landlord.

Second would be Poulan 25 series. Saw stuck in kerf fell 30 ft. set blacktop on fire when the gas tank split, but ran fine when the tank was replaced. Also survived rollover of tandem crane truck, when it was broadsided by a semi of gravel.

I have worked on at least 2 of each for people in past year, newest about 25 years old. No parts needed, just tune up and adjust.

stihltech said:
OK,I stole Ford's ad.
Looking upstairs in used parts, I lack a few models. 029 (laugh hearty folks),08, 038, 051.
I had operators run 051's for millions of board feet with only normal maintenance. I know, it needs a seat and steering wheel, but it was probably the longest lived, in constant use, saw I ever saw.

dito, ive got 2 guys that run 051 still to this day.
Ive collected prolly 10 tradeins and set them aside for those 2.

I will also add the Poulan 25 series as well.I've had one for over 30 years,all metal ,still runs fine .Originally equipped with a 1/4" chain,I changed it to 3/8" low pro.I'm on the 4 th sprocket,forgot how many chains,the original 14" hardnose bar[ reworked several times]

395 great saw. dont own one but use one at work its a real beast. a little heavy( a ton). would like to hear what people think stihl 660 or husky 395. never used the new 660. toughest saw ever 038 it belongs in the chainsaw hall of fame

With a 3/8x8 rim the 038 just blasts through wood. I'm STILL looking for a wood that it cant take on.

Jonsered Silvertop

I have a Jonsereds Raket 621 who was subjected to tons of use, and a lot of abuse from 1970 to the mid 1990ies. It has the scars to prove it, but is still running strong. :)
No new parts, except bar, chains and sprocket.

gosh, they're all such different animals.

For the most part, all I know is Stihls
The 028/038's were a marked step up in their time and certainly built to last.

But for just tough, awesome saws in their time, I'd vote for 041/051.

any of the early (pre-Home Depot) Homelites. but I will say that of the most totally abused saws I've seen on eBay, it's seems almost hands down that the saws which have spent their lives being "rode real hard and put up drippin wet," are the Dolmar 120's.

Latest posts

Back