tourque & RPM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
tourqu & RPM

attachment.php

I wonder if this will work. This is off the chainsaw forum.

It reminds me of how so many people adjust thier saws by eard for max RPM. The dyno charts how how max torque is way down the HP curve.

Hiw many of us who arenot motor heads have our saws bench tested regularly?

As long as my saws keep spittin out lots-o-sawdust and melting through wood, I don't get them tested/adjusted. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

My local stihl dealer tweaked my 044 for free using the little digital meter, etc. Big difference afterwards.

I think it is painfully obvious I am not a small engine/saw mechanic.

Why is this here?

I think it is painfully obvious to all of us, especially those who have had posts deleted or moved, that this is painfully off topic here. There is a reason why it came from the chainsaw forum- IT BELONGS THERE!

We have a volunteer moderator. I think you would be good at it too.
:p

Because not everyone goes to the saw forum all the time.

It hink it is painfully obviouse that chainsaws are used in comercial tree care whilst climbing. Especialy when I ascend a 50ft pitch with the saw on my saddle OW! I'll never do 45 ft in 14 seconds without it on.

where to post

I wouldn't know where to post a TOURQU either or even a tork but at least RPM was spelled right but it was a nice chart ..............torque:D

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Because not everyone goes to the saw forum all the time.

Sorry, JPS. I like you, but dislike some of your actions lately.

The reason we have a chainsaw forum is to discuss things like this. If some climbers don't get to the chainsaw forum, maybe it is because they do not want to! We come to this forum to discuss CLIMBING and TREE CARE. This includes AERIAL RESCUE and CLIMBER DEATHS! When we wish to discuss chainsaws, we go to the CHAINSAW FORUM!

Hopefully, you have quit deleting posts 'just because it needs cleaning up'. Darin moderated this forum for almost a year before deleting his first post, and that was when Beeboo started cursing everyone. Just because you disagree with a post, or do not get anything out of it, is no reason to delete it! :angry:

Again, I am angry with your actions, not you personally.

JP, I'll have to say that you are right. Some of us climbers don't get to the chainsaw form to see all the information on chainsaws. Some of us are just interested in the climbing and the saws we use everyday in the trees. To post something like this is a good heads up to keep those of us informed on the latest. Thanks JP,Keep up the good work.

Also I think that these forms need to be cleaned up every once in a while. If you keep things that have nothing to do with climbing or the industry. Even us guys that are here regularly will have to skip over the junk just to get to the good stuff. Also things nobody is looking at. That have been in the form for a while with no views or responses. Just a thought. Again JP keep up the good work. Thanks,BB

lots of stuff gets deleted or edited without any big deal.

I did nothing to the areal rescue thread I can remember, unless someone objected to some language or something.

Darin asked me to help out several months ago. Yall haven't noticed till just a little while ago I was doing anything.

I already admited I made a mistake with the accident thread, I was given disression here and asked to do some things.

Darin said on 10-08-2002
To keep the site up to good standards we will start deleting these posts! And please keep on the subject matter and not go off beat too much

As far as my actions upsetting you Brian, some of your actions have disapointed me and maybe even slightly angered me. An example is the way you and others acted in the Forest debacle.

A number of people I know and respect have decided to not come back here because of things like this. That I feel is a great loss to this comunity and professional network.

If I think something is pertinant, I'll post it. If it is somewhat off topic, I'll use the discression I was given to move, alter or delete as needed. Til Darin asks me to do otherwise.

I'm no expert on saw performance but I learned long ago that richening the mixture slightly and dropping off of max RPMs doesn't slow the saw in the cut and results in a cooler running saw. That seems consistent with your chart as far as it goes. My saws never see a tach (at least I never see the tach).;)

Running the saw a little rich is safer but does not create the most power. Each saw has a setting that generates the most power, and you noticed the highest torque is at slightly lower RPM, that's because when you cut it slows the motor down to these peak levels.
If you set your saw to 13,000 rpm, that isn't where you are running while you cut. You are down around 7,000 to 10,000 rpm, in the peak range.
Running a saw rich pollutes the air more too.
I find the motor is the longest lasting part of a saw. All the other suff wears out long before it does.
My 066 has a tach built right on.

Valid points Mike. FWIW I wasn't referring to running the saw overly rich, rather to the fact that overly lean settings will give higher no-load rpms but those highers rpms won't hold up in the cut. There is a point where the saw will hold its highest possible revs in the cut-richer just blows more unburned fuel out the exhaust and leaner is a quick way to burn the saw up.

Latest posts

Back