Tracks make the Difference!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, I just flat out disagree with this statement! I have 3 skidsteers on rubber and I go everywhere in the woods with them. I have no issues whatsoever getting around in the woods on tires.

To answer another poster's question on tires vs. tracks. Tracks are not much use in snow. The weight is spread out too much to get traction. At work we have 8 skidsteers, with aftermarket track systems where the wheels come off and the tracks are put on. We remove them in winter for snow plowing.

Ted

Really ? I am surprised. I would think the rubber tires would just sink right in the mud since the tracks even out the weight.

Really ? I am surprised. I would think the rubber tires would just sink right in the mud since the tracks even out the weight.

I've used skid steers in everything from swampy off-road stuff to plowing feet of snow...in my opinion, tires suck on everything but dry hard packed dirt and pavement. After you run a tracked skid steer for any length of time, you won't want to ever run a tired-version unless you have no other choice. Places where the tired-version will ball the tires up with mud or sink past the belly plate, I've ran around with tracked-versions without issues. Tracks provide more surface area for both flotation and traction, I have never had a situation were I said "boy I wish this thing had tires".

Trust me, there is nothing more frustrating than being hundreds of yards from the nearest built road, and having a skid steer belly deep...they are nearly impossible to retrieve without major effort. I have buried three larger skid steers, they have no attachment points for pulling!

The only thing that causes a tracked unit to suck is worn out tracks that have no bite left...but that's no different than a tired-version with bald tires.

I've used skid steers in everything from swampy off-road stuff to plowing feet of snow...in my opinion, tires suck on everything but dry hard packed dirt and pavement. After you run a tracked skid steer for any length of time, you won't want to ever run a tired-version unless you have no other choice. Places where the tired-version will ball the tires up with mud or sink past the belly plate, I've ran around with tracked-versions without issues. Tracks provide more surface area for both flotation and traction, I have never had a situation were I said "boy I wish this thing had tires".

Trust me, there is nothing more frustrating than being hundreds of yards from the nearest built road, and having a skid steer belly deep...they are nearly impossible to retrieve without major effort. I have buried three larger skid steers, they have no attachment points for pulling!

The only thing that causes a tracked unit to suck is worn out tracks that have no bite left...but that's no different than a tired-version with bald tires.

Well said Sir

Like I said before, all of ours at work have tracks in the summer. However, tracks come off in the winter due to snow removal. Plowing snow just doesnt work as well with tracks on.
For my personal skidsteers, there is absolutely no reason for me to be out in the mud in the w oods. No reason at all. Even in clay ground when it is not muddy, tires are fine. Afterall, your only working wood, not digging a basement.

Ted

Like I said before, all of ours at work have tracks in the summer. However, tracks come off in the winter due to snow removal. Plowing snow just doesnt work as well with tracks on.
For my personal skidsteers, there is absolutely no reason for me to be out in the mud in the w oods. No reason at all. Even in clay ground when it is not muddy, tires are fine. Afterall, your only working wood, not digging a basement.

Ted

Keep in mind I'm talking about the difference between a true tracked skid steer and a rubber-tired one...not one with the metal tracks that go onto the tires. I could see where those would be slippery...sort of like a dozer on frozen ground...which will give you the pucker factor if there are any slopes.

And not everyone has the option to gather wood on the nicest days...we try, but nature isn't always accommodating.

Keep in mind I'm talking about the difference between a true tracked skid steer and a rubber-tired one...not one with the metal tracks that go onto the tires. I could see where those would be slippery...sort of like a dozer on frozen ground...which will give you the pucker factor if there are any slopes.

And not everyone has the option to gather wood on the nicest days...we try, but nature isn't always accommodating.

BTDT. D8 down about a 150 ft slope. Lucky for me, nothing at the bottom to hurt! :msp_ohmy:

Ted

BTDT. D8 down about a 150 ft slope. Lucky for me, nothing at the bottom to hurt! :msp_ohmy:

Ted

Watched my boss slide about 50-70' down a 3:1 slopein his D6 LGP. Funny to watch. We shut down for the year 2 days later. 8" of frost. Can't build a road with frozen dirt. Lol

Ted

Yes I agree

I've run a lot of tracks and tires. Tires are fine some of the time and with a good operator, which are few and hard to find, will get a lot done with tires in conditions that would surprise most. I'm not one of those good operators and prefer the original Cat track system they got from ASV. I won't run a machine with the Bobcat track system or any variation thereof.

Steel over the tire tracks have a place, but I feel that while they let you keep working you pay a price in the mess they make. I take them on a case by case basis since they are useful at times and work good if you have a slick surface over a solid base.

Mr. HE:cool:

I've run a lot of tracks and tires. Tires are fine some of the time and with a good operator, which are few and hard to find, will get a lot done with tires in conditions that would surprise most. I'm not one of those good operators and prefer the original Cat track system they got from ASV. I won't run a machine with the Bobcat track system or any variation thereof.

Steel over the tire tracks have a place, but I feel that while they let you keep working you pay a price in the mess they make. I take them on a case by case basis since they are useful at times and work good if you have a slick surface over a solid base.

The ASV track system is my favorite. It requires proper maintenance etc but your back will thank you for it.

And its fun in the mud too :msp_biggrin:

I have the ASV for a reason, nothing touches it.

I can have the worst plastic mud at Rancho Varano, and the next day be sloping almost 1:2 of beach sand. No over the track metal grousers could do either, and there hasn't been a rubber track machine that can do the beach sand.

As a Coastal Engineer, I made (still do) a living pushing sand around, and had opportunity to try every machine available many times. I had a time where every sales guy in the state was wanting to sell me because I was in the market for many units, and I invited them all at once. I told them all up front, you bring your machines, I'm buying breakfast, lunch, and beers for the losers, and dinner for the winner, but I was going to pit them head to head personally. I had my crew standing by to check them over, but mostly to just wash them down before they went home.

It was a short list at the time, of CTL's, but the ASV was clearly the best. I had been using a leased Positrack 4810, and it was well beat before I got it, and frankly was a bit of a high maintenance machine at the time. One brand was so lame it got about four minutes fighting to get a bucket full that it went home before the rep got a second doughnut.

The kinds of sand I have to deal with are nice uniform round grains, and they simply will not lock up. When I say plastic, I mean like thick shampoo.

I built about a gazillion landscapes too, my primary business.

When I sold my businesses and was keeping a few pieces for myself, I opted to keep my very first Bobcat, a 751 with 10,000 hours and not one motor repair. Original hydro pump. I replaced every hose on it throughout the years, but never an injector pump, or had the head off it. I kept it mostly out of loyalty, but I also knew I was buying myself a new CTL too. The 4810 was ragged, and wasn't worth much to anyone else, and the Taki mini ex, was simply not for sale.

I bought the RC-30, when I could have bought anything on the market.

I'm claiming localized conditions make the biggest difference, but caution all of you to recognize as well, if you have the finesse touch of the comic book hero the Thing? It don't matter what you got under you, you suck, it aint the machine.

View attachment 289554View attachment 289555View attachment 289556View attachment 289557View attachment 289558

any of you guys ever think of trying some ice lugs on the steel over the tire skidsteer tracks? ive always wondered if something like the dozer weld on cleats for ice would be too stressful on the drivetrain

CAT_D4_7U10798.JPG

I've run a lot of steel tracked dozers and excavators with ice cleats or ice points welded to the tracks and they are fine. Very aggressive traction that handles well.

You don't want to cross pavement with them without putting down mats.:msp_scared:

I've run a lot of steel tracked dozers and excavators with ice cleats or ice points welded to the tracks and they are fine. Very aggressive traction that handles well.

You don't want to cross pavement with them without putting down mats.:msp_scared:

Yup, it doesn't even take a slight pivot to leave a nice set of tracks!

Yup, it doesn't even take a slight pivot to leave a nice set of tracks!

I worked it out one time and the ice spike points on a D7 track would exert over a million PSI as they passed under a roller. That kind of point loading sort of makes most substances give up, including the spikes if you drive on lots of hard stuff all the time. At one time there was a rock crusher that worked on that idea, but overall cost of operation was too high compared to stationary crushers and blasting.

I spent 4-5 hours today working at my property cleaning up down trees and trying to do a little grade work with my bobcat 751. A lot of the dirt was still damp once you got down an inch or so. As i slipped and spun all day, this thread crossed my mind several times. I will be on the lookout for some used tracks.

i was told by a know it all once that in order to run the OTT like that one of the drive chains is supposed to be disconnected so only the front or rear wheels are driving. Is there any truth to this or was i being filled full of BS?

Back