Tractor SUpply Black Friday Deals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally with you on the cost. $100 is cheap for a new gas saw but it equals 28 gallons of gas or a nice WWII Mosin Nagant rifle with a box or two of ammo or it would go a long way if I gave it to some of the missionaries my church supports or things my wife and kids need or 100 cheeseburgers off the McDonald's dollar menu (before tax). I try to keep myself from spending money on stuff I don't need by relating it to gas, guns, God, family or cheeseburgers.

The Wild Thing not is really that heavy, I was being a little bit of a wise guy there. It was heavier than I expected for it's cc size though. It seemed about the same as the 455 Rancher but I expected that to be heavier at 55cc. I admit to getting caught up in some of the weight, bar length, etc issues sometimes. It's just because when I decided to treat myself on one really good saw I researched it to death and drove everyone on this site crazy with questions. I got quite an education but became more aware of things I never cared about much before either.
It's all about perspective isn't it? This one is definitely a want, not a need. I have a 16" and two 20" saws, one of which will become a 24" on Monday. I cannot spin this into something I need. At best it's backup, and for that it's maybe worthwhile but a pretty low priority.

Totally with you on the cost. $100 is cheap for a new gas saw but it equals 28 gallons of gas or a nice WWII Mosin Nagant rifle with a box or two of ammo or it would go a long way if I gave it to some of the missionaries my church supports or things my wife and kids need or 100 cheeseburgers off the McDonald's dollar menu (before tax). I try to keep myself from spending money on stuff I don't need by relating it to gas, guns, God, family or cheeseburgers.

The Wild Thing not is really that heavy, I was being a little bit of a wise guy there. It was heavier than I expected for it's cc size though. It seemed about the same as the 455 Rancher but I expected that to be heavier at 55cc. I admit to getting caught up in some of the weight, bar length, etc issues sometimes. It's just because when I decided to treat myself on one really good saw I researched it to death and drove everyone on this site crazy with questions. I got quite an education but became more aware of things I never cared about much before either.

You could probably find a good cross cut saw on craigslist cheaper than a chainsaw also ;)

Mn

Those mosins, if you pick and choose carefully, are *the* best deal you can find day in and day out all over on a decent functional heavy duty centerfire rifle. IMO of course. Now it used to be way back in the day that war surplus everything was real cheap, I mean ridiculous cheap (10 to 50 bucks for any number of good shape models, including US mil surplus), but times change. The mosins are about the last common model good deal out there for cheap bucks.

Yup, my buddy and I bought Nagants online (he has his C&R FFL) for under $90 each, including shipping. They are arsenally refurbished and in great shape. They shoot fantastic, lots of life left in them, good bores, etc. We then each got 500 rounds of surplus ammo for $80 shipped. I can't get to deer hunting this year but he already got two deer this year with his. He has probably paid for the Nagant with the meat he has in his freezer now. Best deal going, too bad TSC doesn't have those for Black Friday! I wanted a M1 carbine for my wife but waaaaaay too expensive, got her Hi Point .45 carbine with red dot scope instead. Neat little rifle, tons of fun. OK, I've hijacked this thread long enough.

Looks like I won't be getting the Shelter Logic garage thing at TSC on black Friday. The closest store that has one is a couple hundred miles away in Maine. Oh well, might be for the best, I'm not convinced it will hold up to the snow and wind I get here.

LOL!! Thanks!!

The price on those Ratchett straps looks good, untill ya buy 'em and use them. Bought a half dozen last year, and they are the lower rated cheapies. Handy for small stuff and in the woods though. I spray painted the ratchetts and hooks, to make sure I didn't screw up and use them for hauling anything real heavy, and have found a bunch of uses for them. Might get a couple more.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It says that they are rated at 10,000 lb. capacity with a 3,300 lb. safe load capacity. Are your other straps rated for a lot more than that? Just asking because I was thinking about buying some and wanted to be able to hook four of them to a car or a 5,000 lb tractor and feel safe.

Well, made it to TSC last night and here's the scoop on the Wild Thang. The clutch cover says 40cc but the epa sticker says 42cc. So I guess that means it's a 41cc right? :msp_confused: I'm guessing the epa sticker is more accurate, the clutch cover stickers are probably old ones laying around the Poulan plant they had to use up so they threw them on these. As long as they are not overstating the displacement I guess they are allowed to do that.

Still, I don't know where else you are gonna find a brand new gas chainsaw for $100 so if you can use it for parts to repair another saw or if you just want something cheap for whatever reason probably worth getting up early for. Heck, the freakin case is probably worth $30 if it will fit other saws which it probably will since that Wild Thing is huge for a 40-42cc saw and you have a crappy bar and chain for cutting stumps with. Oh no, I've almost talked myself into going for it myself. Good thing I'm broke - thank you Mr. President you saved me from spending my money on a cheap saw I don't need. Instead you took it and spent it on nothing. Ok, that's for another forum, I'll stop it.

Just think what it will save alltogether having your Dolmar/Husqvarna/Stihl tucked inside and some thief sees it lying in the back of your car and thinks "man not again! I have to pay those duds nowadays to take them mean green machines off my hands! let's see what's in the next car."

Thanks for the heads up on this. Finally got an auto darkening welding helmet. Can't believe I waited so long! What a difference, was a little worried about using a cheapo for something like this but it works great....for now...
and I picked up almost 100 lbs of Purina dogfood for cheap, were in bonus bags on top of being on sale.

I'm hoping to get the portable garage/shelter thing on black Friday for $279 usd. It's 12' by 20' and 8' tall I think. We live on a windy hill so I have been afraid to try them, especially this one that's not the heavy duty version but for that price I might risk it and tuck it in on the downhill side up under some white pines and stake it down really well.

Be glad you didn't waste the money, they do not hold up to snow/ice at all!

Poulan WT

It's all about perspective isn't it? This one is definitely a want, not a need. I have a 16" and two 20" saws, one of which will become a 24" on Monday. I cannot spin this into something I need. At best it's backup, and for that it's maybe worthwhile but a pretty low priority.

$100 is $100, so God bless you guys for being the good stewards that you are! Are you in recovery or something???

He got me one, though! Couldn't pass up a solid little saw like that for $100. We were lucky to get it. This was the floor model in one of our stores. Bobby insisted they let us buy it. Same full replacement and service warranties etc. That's the only Black Friday shopping we did.

Solid plastic, but I'm with you on the color scheme, WHW. I was surprised it really compared to the Husqvarna, though. Bobby says the casting on the cylinder looks to be as good quality as his 262. We both thought it would be a lot more cheaply made than this. Nicely balanced. Cut a little with it, so it's been INTO a tree before it ever made it UNDER the tree. He'll have to clean it up a little before he puts the ribbon on it for me!!
smiley-present.gif
Says it's a green and purple Husqvarna. Heck, it lasted you 12 years, W. He couldn't get it to idle right, but he's going to get on it tomorrow.

Good investment, no doubt about that! I definitely go to WHW for my WildThing information, so MANY THANX!!!

It says that they are rated at 10,000 lb. capacity with a 3,300 lb. safe load capacity. Are your other straps rated for a lot more than that? Just asking because I was thinking about buying some and wanted to be able to hook four of them to a car or a 5,000 lb tractor and feel safe.

Sorry I'm so dadgum late..didn't see your post.

We run 3" straps mostly, which are rated at 20K. Not so much that 4 straps on a tractor wont exceed the load potential, but the wear and tear, dirt, grease, oil, Blueberry gorp, and sunlight degredation on straps lowers the real capcity of the things. Like you, I shudder at the thought of something coming off the trailer.

The 2" 10,000lb jobbies ain't bad for GP and should do fine for occaisional use. If you plan on using them often, and with mud and crud as a constant, it dosn't hurt to add a little overkill. The failures I have seen other guys have, seem to always be worn 2" straps and Ratchetts that have busted pawls. If you have 4, I reckon you would have to be going pretty fast and come to a instant complete halt in order to bust all of 'em at once, I just like having the extra insurance.

Hope this helps!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sorry I'm so dadgum late..didn't see your post.

We run 3" straps mostly, which are rated at 20K. Not so much that 4 straps on a tractor wont exceed the load potential, but the wear and tear, dirt, grease, oil, Blueberry gorp, and sunlight degredation on straps lowers the real capcity of the things. Like you, I shudder at the thought of something coming off the trailer.

The 2" 10,000lb jobbies ain't bad for GP and should do fine for occaisional use. If you plan on using them often, and with mud and crud as a constant, it dosn't hurt to add a little overkill. The failures I have seen other guys have, seem to always be worn 2" straps and Ratchetts that have busted pawls. If you have 4, I reckon you would have to be going pretty fast and come to a instant complete halt in order to bust all of 'em at once, I just like having the extra insurance.

Hope this helps!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I figured that you didn't see my post but no problem. :msp_wink:

I went ahead and bought 4 of them this morning and they probably won't get used very much. I'm still going to be on the lookout for some heavier straps like the 3" if I can get them at a decent price. I'm an overkill kinda guy and I like to feel safe.

Thanks,
Danny

I figured that you didn't see my post but no problem. :msp_wink:

I went ahead and bought 4 of them this morning and they probably won't get used very much. I'm still going to be on the lookout for some heavier straps like the 3" if I can get them at a decent price. I'm an overkill kinda guy and I like to feel safe.

Thanks,
Danny

Yeah, if a 1/2" bolt will work, I reach for a 9/16". I hear ya on overkill. In some situations, it is absolutely logical to use a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

Best deal I have seen on the 3" was on line, and IIRC we paid 50 bucks each a couple years ago.
They ain't cheap. A load of fruit on the road, and somebody possibly getting hurt or dead makes 'em very affordable though.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back