Tree Id. Saplings growing out of dead log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblnut

Overweight and underpaid.
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it’ll be a good way to speed up drying if the shoots suck out all the moisture !!

Any idea what this is ? Some sort of willow maybe ? It cuts like butter and is super soft and stinks a bit.
IMG_1257.jpeg

Trees are so cool. How the heck does it decide to do this ? “Hey we’re cut off and dead, let’s not just die off like all other the other trees and put out some branches !”
IMG_1258.jpeg

I guess it’ll be a good way to speed up drying if the shoots suck out all the moisture !!

Any idea what this is ? Some sort of willow maybe ? It cuts like butter and is super soft and stinks a bit.
View attachment 1177217

Trees are so cool. How the heck does it decide to do this ? “Hey we’re cut off and dead, let’s not just die off like all other the other trees and put out some branches !”
View attachment 1177218
I remember taking a tour of a clear cut site on the Daniel Boone National Forrest years ago. All the oaks were sprouting from the stumps. The Forrest Service monitored the stumps and removed all but the strongest sprouts. They called it natural regeneration. They said it only takes about 4 years for them to become established regrowth and about 20 years to become harvest size again.
I don't recognize the bark on that log however. Any idea what it is? Might check the stump to see if any chutes are coming up there as well. jmho :cool: OT

Sounds like willow from your description.
It was cut out of a ditch/fence line that was cleared out 20yrs ago so it is a fast growing one as well. I’d agree on willow but figured I’d ask the collective mind of AS 😁

I remember taking a tour of a clear cut site on the Daniel Boone National Forrest years ago. All the oaks were sprouting from the stumps. The Forrest Service monitored the stumps and removed all but the strongest sprouts. They called it natural regeneration. They said it only takes about 4 years for them to become established regrowth and about 20 years to become harvest size again.
I don't recognize the bark on that log however. Any idea what it is? Might check the stump to see if any chutes are coming up there as well. jmho :cool: OT
Stumps are all buried and gone lol. I think I’m going to leave this log to see how big the shoots get. Dang thing might put roots down though lol.

It was cut out of a ditch/fence line that was cleared out 20yrs ago so it is a fast growing one as well. I’d agree on willow but figured I’d ask the collective mind of AS 😁

Stumps are all buried and gone lol. I think I’m going to leave this log to see how big the shoots get. Dang thing might put roots down though lol.
I think you have to plant them.

Latest posts

Back