Trade Husky 262xp for Stihl 361 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that my 361 was just "OK" without the muffler mod. In fact, my 359 would cut with it. I have to say that the muffler mod on both the 359 and the 361 made a difference, but I think that the difference was more pronounced on the 361. It is really a pretty impressive saw with the mod. I think I'll keep it!:clap:

lost my 262xp and now have ms361 stihl

thanks guys for the info on muffler mod. I just purchased 262xp on ebay can not wait to see it.

Don't do it!!!
It's a trick!

They are both great saws, no doubt about it.
But if you have listened to the "361 Hype" and bought into it, you WILL be disappointed!
It is just not "enough better" in my eyes to trade a good running 262 (that you know what it is) off for.
JMHO

Mike

262xp = Man's saw.

MS361 = Girl's saw.

Aww that was just mean...:dizzy:

I have a 361 and use it for all sorts of things from cutting brush to rotten logs and making trails and cutting wood. It's a decent little saw for the plethora of medium sized jobs that I do and it gets the job done. Is it a miracle worker? No. But it's a decent performer and reliable and that's what counts.

The 262xp is and awesome saw. I can't wait to get another one. I've pasted up a few 361's, just rather have the real deal.

No saw is perfect, not even the 262xp.

Two features that I don't like on the one is the "flag" type brake handle, and that the brake is located in a plastic clutch cover. At least it is plastic on most of them, but I have heard that some were mag (but haven't seen one of those).

I would'nt trade a ported 262 for a stock 361. Thats just crazy.

But stock to stock, I would take the 361 any day. I just like the balance better. It has been awhile since I ran a 262 but I know that stock to stock, they're no faster than a 361. No slower either.

The 361 will respond to a muff mod better from what I hear. Never modded mine yet nor have I ran a modded 262. But the talk about the 262 being so much meaner than the 361 is rubbish! Run a broken in 361 stock, next to a 262 stock and see.

The 361 "hype"? Where is it? All I see mostly here is hating on it. I bought one anyways and love it. Never paid much attention to hype, but if you want real world advice I can tell you they both run about the same and the 361 feels better in the hands IMO.

Mag Cover

Two features that I don't like on the one is the "flag" type brake handle, and that the brake is located in a plastic clutch cover. At least it is plastic on most of them, but I have heard that some were mag (but haven't seen one of those).

My 262 has a mag cover.

The only thing I find mildly annoying is that it's got short bar mounts and uses a small ID rim sprocket. Otherwise it's a great saw. Runs strong, always reliable and is easy to service.

My 262 has a mag cover.

The only thing I find mildly annoying is that it's got short bar mounts and uses a small ID rim sprocket. Otherwise it's a great saw. Runs strong, always reliable and is easy to service.

Yes, I forgot to mention the small spline clutch drum - but I believe AS sponsor Baileys can sell you a medium spline drum.

It would be interesting to know when your 262 was made! :)

Last edited:

I maybe see a problem with durability on the plastic Chain brake cover, but i have never heard of any problems with such, however.

As for the flag type handle, what do you mean when you say that`s a problem?

Wasn`t that type of brake cover/handle common on all husky saws from that era?

Yes, I forgot to mention the small spline clutch drum - but I believe AS sponsor Baileys can sell you a medium spline drum.

It would be interesting to know when your 262 was made! :)

Serial no. is 6470267 on black plate. I think that makes it '96?

I got it second hand, so no saying the clutch cover is original but it looks ok - colour matches the rest of the body. It's got 503 70 42 (part no?) and 96 (date?) on the inside too if that helps.

Serial no. is 6470267 on black plate. I think that makes it '96?

I got it second hand, so no saying the clutch cover is original but it looks ok - colour matches the rest of the body. It's got 503 70 42 (part no?) and 96 (date?) on the inside too if that helps.

Thanks, I made a note about that! :cheers:

You are right about '96, it is a 1996 week 47 one.

Back