Trading in saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trek5900

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Stopped by my local Stihl dealer on the way home tonight and bought a pair of chaps.

Of course while I was there I looked at chain saws. He had a 361. I swear it said buy me.

Any way I ask if he would take a trade. I had purchased a MS 270 from him about a year ago and he said sure for about $250 difference. The MS 270 is lightly used.

My question is is that a fair, reasonable deal?

I have a MS 460 Magnum and a MS 170. I am your average homeowner who in the fall and winter likes to cut firewood. It is a hobby for me.

No, I don't need it but it sure would be nice.

Things to think about when trading to a dealer.

If you've dealt with them before, and they know you, they will try to be fair, unless you're one of those customers they would like their competition to have the pleasure of dealing with.

Remember he has to resell the saw and make a profit. Business is business.

Even if they know you, he or one of the techs must check over the saw. Time is money. Unless there's a new chain on it, they'll have to add one.

No matter how loud you scream about being ripped off it won't help. If you don't like the deal just say I need to think about it and walk away.

In this case it certainly sounds like he's being fair, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck and Take Care

A 361 MSRP after tax would be about $650, so he's giving you around $400 trade value. You'd be hard-pressed to get that much selling outright. Do it!

That's way more of a trade-in than most dealers would give you. In our small-town shop, we'd only be able to offer you about $225 for your 270 towards a new 361. We just don't very many units.

usually only offers 50 dollars for trade ins..No matter what it is..

The biggest Stihl/Husky dealership not far from me is the same way, and they sold over 3,000 units last year, just on the Stihl side. They probably sold half again that many on the Husky side. They have four full-time employees that do nothing but unpack and put together units.

He's basically giving you full retail new for that 270. Right now on the shelf a 270 is 399$ with a 16" bar. For most saws we do 20-50$ trade in on a saw I can parts them out and get my money back even on Poulans and other junk.

Damn 4,500 pieces of Stihl and Husky. No one in our area does more than a couple hundred pieces of handheld a year, high end for most dealers is about 200,000$ in handheld equipment, parts and accessories. .

Last edited:
When I read this, I was thinking used MS270 + $250 = MS361, but that's just crazy talk.
The only way the math makes sense is $250 trade in credit for the MS270, which I think is more than fair, unless you could have talked the price down on the MS361 if there weren't a trade involved.

Stopped by my local Stihl dealer on the way home tonight and bought a pair of chaps.

Of course while I was there I looked at chain saws. He had a 361. I swear it said buy me.

Any way I ask if he would take a trade. I had purchased a MS 270 from him about a year ago and he said sure for about $250 difference. The MS 270 is lightly used.

My question is is that a fair, reasonable deal?

I have a MS 460 Magnum and a MS 170. I am your average homeowner who in the fall and winter likes to cut firewood. It is a hobby for me.

No, I don't need it but it sure would be nice.

Is the 361 new or used??
If it is new you better be all over that deal like ugly on an ape.
Still wouldn't be a bad deal on a really nice used 361.
If the 361 is used, find out if he will give any warranty.
JMHO

Mike

Very Fair !

trek5900 --

From what I've read this is a very FAIR dealer and smart !!
You just spent $XX. on a pair of chap's, right??
He is wise to keep trek as a REGULAR customer.

Fair is fair for both parties. This deal is!
The dealer will come out fine and you got a very good allowance.

If you took $250. cash there might not be any tax involved.....
Further savings!

Clean your MS270 up a bit, make sure it's performing correctly and get the 361 if you want it. [remember, they cure cancer. lol.]

This is about as good as it gets.
Best of luck.

Once upon a time a man had just one saw .And one grand day looking for
a good deal on something on the net he found Arboistsite and found people
like him who just wanted 1 more saw .But 1 is never enough and everyone
was feeding him info like free crack to a rock head and BAM before he
saw what hit him it was worse than a Mack truck loaded with oak it was

CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD CAD

And they have no cure BTW start a oil thread when you get it

:greenchainsaw: :givebeer: Oh wait i have one

When I read this, I was thinking used MS270 + $250 = MS361, but that's just crazy talk.
The only way the math makes sense is $250 trade in credit for the MS270, which I think is more than fair, unless you could have talked the price down on the MS361 if there weren't a trade involved.

i read it to mean as long as there was more than a $250 difference in the trade-in saw and the 361 that he would do the trade. i didnt think there was any mention of value attached to either saw. certainly not $250 and the 270 for the 361...

Back