Trailer question - axles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are wanting a custom trailer you are still far better off picking up a used one that is close enough to what you want. Look for trailers with crappy axle/wheel/tire condition and bargain them into a good deal. Replace the axles with new good condition ones and build the thing out.

I bought a 1996 16' hudson 10K tandem for $1000 and replaced the MH axles when one of the tires blew (the rest were not far behind). Over the past year I have been slowly modifying, upgrading and customizing as I get time and it has finally reached the point where I really like it. If I had built one from the ground up I am sure that I would still have a half finished trailer sitting in the yard - but with this approach I have had the use of the trailer as I have been making mods.

Look for one built with 6" channel frame, not the silly angle iron or 3" channel crap that is more common. You will overload the thing or have a friend overload it for you - for wood hauling I prefer to have a lot of safety margin. Wood weighs so much more than we realize - especially sitting on a 16' long trailer (gee I can still fit more on the deck).

alloy 16.5 8 lug rims are worth more than you think.... 4x4 folks are looking for aluminum 16.5 rims to run surplus H-1 tires that's available for dirt cheap ($350 for set of almost new 35in mud tires) post em on craigsllist for $200 ... someone will jump on em

after MUCH looking, found my 20ft (18ft + dove) heavy duty trailer with tandem 7k axles, brakes on both axles, excellent tires, good floor, 20k front jack, etc on Craigslist for $1,650.

deals like above doesn't happen very often, but it does. they are gone within minutes.
found mine while looking at another trailer on CL. it pays to ask folks what else they got for sale.

Well, this all sums up what I've been thinking all along. I'm just too slow to get rid of what I don't need any more. Ask my wife. She'll tell you I'm a pack rat. That, and I hate the hassle of trying to sell stuff. Maybe I can check into what they would be worth in scrap :) If I can get $100 out of the set, I'd be happy.

Last edited:
If you are wanting a custom trailer you are still far better off picking up a used one that is close enough to what you want. Look for trailers with crappy axle/wheel/tire condition and bargain them into a good deal. Replace the axles with new good condition ones and build the thing out.

That's about what I figure will actually happen. I'll find one that I can use, and then get a new set of axles for it, and add some I beams or C Channel to it to beef it up, then replace the entire tongue and put a Pintle hitch on it. In all reality, I'm thinking that I'll end up with something that's in the 7x12 or 6x14 range. Like I said though, it will be at least 2 more years before I'm in a position to buy one. Who knows what other priorities will come up between now and then.

Where are you located in indiana?

I have built several trailers in the past. I can tell you unless you have everything sitting around for free or almost free you are gonna be better off buying one.

If you are close to cincinnati I see craigslist adds for 16-20 foot trailers for around 1000.00 and they are factory built with a title already ready to go.

Building one isint hard but gas and wire gets expensive. I have the angle laying out in the lot and a axle to make a little leep trailer and I am still concidering a used one.

Check into registration of your trailer.

Here in Wisconsin a trailer up to 12k gvw is half the registration of a vehicle. 12k and up is the same yearly reg as a vehicle.

So my 16k gvw trailer has a 10k plate on it.

Anyway, I really like 16 gvw for the capacity, but it rides bad empty or lightly loaded. I put my fathers 2N on it is on the edge of tolerable.

Goosenecks ROCK! Go gooseneck if you can. Easy to manuever and load the truck properly.

M

There is a business near me which sells new axles and everything associated with that. They sell Dexter Axles and that company has all sorts of different axles, trailer brakes, and the whole works including installation instructions. Here is that web site. Maybe there is a dealer near you?

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Home

Anyway I tried getting trailer brakes for an old axle I already had, but they told me those could not be added on. So I bought a new 6K axle with trailer brakes and I think exerything was around $600. Probably much more now as is everything!

There is a business near me which sells new axles and everything associated with that. They sell Dexter Axles and that company has all sorts of different axles, trailer brakes, and the whole works including installation instructions. Here is that web site. Maybe there is a dealer near you?

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Home

Anyway I tried getting trailer brakes for an old axle I already had, but they told me those could not be added on. So I bought a new 6K axle with trailer brakes and I think exerything was around $600. Probably much more now as is everything!

Dexter makes some very good trailer parts, and I use them almost exclusively. On a side note, if you ever need trailer brakes, it is actually cheaper to buy a loaded backing plate rather than buy shoes, springs, magnets, etc. and it comes alrady assembled. Four bolts and two crimps, you're done.

Back