Trailer question - axles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of building a heavy duty trailer for a while now. I'd like something that can haul around 10K. I have a 12K hitch on my diesel. Anyway, this is just a pipe dream at this point, and will be for at least 2 more years. However, as I was trying to clean some junk out of the shop/shed I came across the 4 rims that I took off the truck. They are aluminum rims, 11.75x16.5 off of my F250 (8 bolts). I had thought about selling them when I took them off the truck, but I haven't got around to it. Now they are starting to get in the way. Then I started wondering if they would be any good for use on a trailer. I paid enough attention to know if any trailer wheels have an 8 bolt rim on them or not, but if so, these thing should make for some decent high floatation rims. I'm thinking that would help keep the trailer from sinking into the ground as bad when loaded down. Should I be ale to use these rims for a trailer or should I just throw an add on craigslist and try to get them out of here?

Just don't try to build your trailer around some crapper rims you have around, they'll be the least of your expenses. Personally, if they were in my way I'd sell em. I can't really picture that wide of rim on a wood hauler.

Steer way clear of any trailer home axle, wheel, tire, etc. They are design for limited use at best. How often do you think they move one...? Sell you rims, and invest in a good Dexter or similar brand 7k axle, and some 285/75R16 tires. That combo will max out your private license in most states, and give you just about as good as you can get without running a dually type setup.

I agree w/ what the others have said (at least the part about putting the cart in front of the horse)...

Hudson bros, Appalachian, & (maybe others?) use 16" wheels on their 12K GVW trailers, but they are all 235/85/16s. I'm guessing the width is going to be the killer--- not going to clear the springs.

One more thing: if you're building (or buying) something to haul 10K, then obviously the GVW is going to be 12K or so. Here in MD, you need an A license to pull any trailer over 10K. You may want to check the law where you are. The fine here is $500, a friend of mine found out about that law the hard way!

I agree w/ what the others have said (at least the part about putting the cart in front of the horse)...

Hudson bros, Appalachian, & (maybe others?) use 16" wheels on their 12K GVW trailers, but they are all 235/85/16s. I'm guessing the width is going to be the killer--- not going to clear the springs.

One more thing: if you're building (or buying) something to haul 10K, then obviously the GVW is going to be 12K or so. Here in MD, you need an A license to pull any trailer over 10K. You may want to check the law where you are. The fine here is $500, a friend of mine found out about that law the hard way!

Not sure why width is an issue as you can get or set your spring perches where you want on an axle.

In these parts, you can run up to 26k combine GVW (total truck and trailer capability) under a non DOT license. You can also use a pair of 7k axles, and stamp the trailer as being only rated for 10 or 12k. License it accordingly and you are get to go. If you get pulled and scaled and you are over weight it is time to pay the man. The bigger the axle, the better the bearing. I'd much rather run a 7k axle at 60% capacity than a 5k axle at 99% capacity.

I looked into building my own trailer a year or so ago, even with my own welding and other free labor I couldn't do it for the price of a good used trailer. I'm talking the 'Big-tex' or equivelant build.

ford rims will bolt right on a 8 lug, 7k dexter axle, but off-set will be wrong.

instead building a trailer, best way to keep an eye on craigslist. what you want is a heavy duty tandem axle trailer with 2 5/16 hitch with brakes on both axles.

highly doublt you can build one cheaper than a trailer mfg can sell you .. they buy steel in bulk
unless you've already got a LOT of the materials on hand, better off buying one .

don't use trailer house axles!!!

Not sure why width is an issue as you can get or set your spring perches where you want on an axle.

In these parts, you can run up to 26k combine GVW (total truck and trailer capability) under a non DOT license. You can also use a pair of 7k axles, and stamp the trailer as being only rated for 10 or 12k. License it accordingly and you are get to go. If you get pulled and scaled and you are over weight it is time to pay the man. The bigger the axle, the better the bearing. I'd much rather run a 7k axle at 60% capacity than a 5k axle at 99% capacity.

I stand corrected... I was thinking of spring clearance of manufactured trailers. Certainly, if you're building your own, you can put the spring perches wherever you want. The 26K CGVW deal is the same here, but the trailer has to be under 10K. You can't even register a homemade trailer here any more--- used to be, you went to the MVA w/ 3 pics & a check.... also, the days when you could register a Chevy C-60 @ 10K are gone too. GVW is what's on the VIN tag--- truck or trailer.

I looked into building my own trailer a year or so ago, even with my own welding and other free labor I couldn't do it for the price of a good used trailer. I'm talking the 'Big-tex' or equivelant build.

It is hard to compete with a company that builds off a jig and has bulk buying power. :cheers:

My only experience w/ a Big Tex was that it was a total POS. Maybe I'm not being fair to that trailer, it was probably a 7K trailer & I run 10K Hudsons, but it was very light-duty construction.

I stand corrected... I was thinking of spring clearance of manufactured trailers. Certainly, if you're building your own, you can put the spring perches wherever you want. The 26K CGVW deal is the same here, but the trailer has to be under 10K. You can't even register a homemade trailer here any more--- used to be, you went to the MVA w/ 3 pics & a check.... also, the days when you could register a Chevy C-60 @ 10K are gone too. GVW is what's on the VIN tag--- truck or trailer.

I have in the past, with a very well known trailer company, had tehm print me a vin tag for what ever weight I wanted it to be. So long as you are not over the weight of the tag, you are good to go.

On another note, I think it is darn funny that the DOT can hammer a man for a pickup and 10K trailer, but Old Grampa can run a big old diesel pusher on a private license.

Just watch craigslist or the local for sale ads, usually some decent deals. Way cheaper than building one.

My only experience w/ a Big Tex was that it was a total POS. Maybe I'm not being fair to that trailer, it was probably a 7K trailer & I run 10K Hudsons, but it was very light-duty construction.

well, I would say you weren't being fair then.

we have a HD big tex on the farm and we haul a JD 650 dozer with it. Never an issue.

I'm not saying they're great shakes. I'd expect more too. I just wanted to make the point that the standard was higher than all the POS travel trailer conversion trailers you see on CL and elsewhere. Big-tex is a bit light, and easy to rack the frame. Those stubby sidewalls you see on them are neccessary for frame rigidity.

Speakin for the lighter weight ones, they do make some heavy trailers

I'd much rather run a 7k axle at 60% capacity than a 5k axle at 99% capacity.
Same with tires. Standard 16" trailer tire is 10 ply rating, going up to 14 ply made a big diffence in capacity and reliability for me. The extra margin can make the difference between stuck on the side of the road changing one and home having dinner with family.

Get rid of the 16.5's. Most 16.5's are D rated tires and most 16's are E rated. The 16.5's were discontinued over 25 years ago. Finding 16.5 tires is diffucult and they usually have been on the shelf for way to long. 16.5's have a taper on the rim that makes them a pain to inflate.

Well, this all sums up what I've been thinking all along. I'm just too slow to get rid of what I don't need any more. Ask my wife. She'll tell you I'm a pack rat. That, and I hate the hassle of trying to sell stuff. Maybe I can check into what they would be worth in scrap :) If I can get $100 out of the set, I'd be happy.

As far as building my own trailer, I'm still on the fence only because if I build it, I can have what I want instead of a cookie cutter that someone else wants to sell. I don't need a 24' trailer, but I would like to have a heavy duty trailer that is capable of hauling 2 cord of firewood. On one hand, I'd like it to be just big enough to haul my truck so that I could haul it to a shop if I had a major break down. On the other hand my truck is a 93 F250 extended cab, and I don't really want a trailer that long or that wide sitting in the drive all the time. In the end, I'll probably take what I can find on CL because I'm too cheap to do it any other way.

Latest posts

Back