Transplanted 14 ft. White Pine - Not doing so Hot...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munshaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, been lurking for a few weeks now (and picked my self up a new MS261 because of it!!). Thought I might be able to get some advice about a white pine that I had transplanted last spring.

I was able to carefully remove a white pine from an island out at camp, and long story short, get it home and transplanted onto my acreage at the top of a hill. Area is sandy/good drainage. I used a root growth supplement (Myke), some topsoil, and bone meal in the fall. Its also well protected from deer with a wire fence. The tree did well for the rest of the summer last year, but this summer, its starting to turn red on some of the lower needle bunches. It was a lot of work transplanting it, and I've been watering it religiously.

Anyone have any tips on what (if anything) can be done to try to help this tree thrive? It's probably 14 feet high with a 5 inch trunk at the base. Its a beautiful tree and I was hoping to get it started on the lot infront of where I will eventually be building. I've also planted 600 various mixed spruce and pines from seedling as well which seem to be doing okay (as long as they're not browsed by the deer).

Thanks for any advice! I was told by someone else who tried the same thing (albeit a little smaller tree) that it would die after two years... Sure enough!

As requested:

Overall the tree looks salvageable (to me). There is new growth on it this year, with new buds opening up. I had trimmed a few of the lower branches that were touching the ground to keep the trees limbs dry. The majority of the needle bunches look healthy.

So basically my questions are:

Trim off of the red needle bunches - yes/no?
Stabilize the tree with stakes/burlap straps?
Covering the root area with straw a bad idea (my thoughts were to help slow evaporation from the sandy soil)
Should I be giving it any type of fertilizer other than the bone meal in the fall?

Thanks for the advice - I know I probably bit off a little more than I should have, and I learned my lesson - but if this thing is salvageable I'm going to do my damnedest! I've put too much into it to quit now! :laugh:
And no - that's not my house in the background. I wish...

2013-07-09%252014.21.59.jpg

2013-07-09%252014.34.42.jpg

2013-07-09%252014.22.09.jpg

2013-07-09%252014.34.27.jpg

Typical transplant stress. This can go on for several seasons. What is the exposure like during the winter? The reason I ask is the winter winds can can be just as damaging as the summer heat.

Typical transplant stress. This can go on for several seasons. What is the exposure like during the winter? The reason I ask is the winter winds can can be just as damaging as the summer heat.

I would say it has moderate exposure in the winter. We are kind of on the NW limit of the range of the Eastern white pine (though they grow abundantly around here). Being close to Lake Superior (Thunder Bay) we experience some moderating weather, but typically during the winter. I was not aware that winter exposure could be an issue beyond being physically crushed by the snow.

View attachment 313123
Update: Okay so I've continued with light watering, and the tree appears like its going to make it. I'm going to try and erect some form of wind shelter to protect it from the North winds in the field. However, today when I went to go check on it, I noticed a LOT of red ants crawling up and down the branches and trunk. Also there appears to be these smaller black bugs, highly clustered in certain areas. They almost look like black flies, but they're not black flies? It appears as though something is damaging the bark, as there is sap running down the trunk in a few places, and on some of the branches. Both white pines I planted are experiencing the same infestation, unseen on any of the other trees. I tried taking a picture of them with my phone, but was having trouble getting it to focus/macro. Is there something I can do to get rid of these pests, and are they doing serious damage to the tree???

To protect from the wind, Put three stakes in on the upwind side to form a triangle then fasten burlap.
The point of the triangle will face into the prevailing wind.

Now there's a good idea! I will do that. I'm going to head out to the property today with my camera to try and get a better shot of those insects. Is there harm in spraying a tree with insecticide?

It can be if it's the wrong insecticide and/or applied incorrectly. Any strong application of anything could do damage considering the tree is still acclimating.

More pics - I have no idea if these bugs are capable of damaging the tree or not, but there seems to be a lot of sap dripping down the main trunk that wasn't present before. I don't know what the ants are doing exactly. They seem to only be around where those smaller bugs are. I don't believe ants eat trees??? Should I physically remove the bugs? (seems like they'd come right back) Or what do you guys recommend? Both white pines have these on them, no other trees...

Also, thanks for everybody's help with these trees!

View attachment 313593
View attachment 313596
View attachment 313597

I still have not been able to identify these insects. Are they aphids of some kind? Anyone have an educated guess? Even identifying them could help me determine if they are a destructive pest or not. I want to get rid of them, can anyone recommend a pesticide that won't harm the tree?

Not familiar with eastern pines or their pests.It appears to be some species of aphid which secretes honey dew,and is collected by the ants.The ants act as a protector against other predators.A strong water spray might work to remove some of the pests. Aphids are soft bodied,and any mild insectide would work.Neem oil,safers soap are a few.Once the pests are in control,A few wraps of masking tape around the trunk base slathered with tanglefoot will keep the ants at bay.
Perhaps another member from that area can add a bit more info.

Bingo! White pine aphid. Your neighbors with similar trees are going to thank you for bringing the bugs with your new tree. :msp_tongue: I would try a mild soap solution - 2 tblsp liquid soap / 1 qt. water. Don't use a detergent soap but soak those suckers real good.

Back