transporting a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to transport a saw in the back of a truck so it doesn't get beat up while driving on rough roads? I usually just tie it up with rope or bungee cords but wondered if anyone had a better or easier way?

if its a concern u mite check lowes . i think they still sell black plastic cases for saws. tip ,,if u do that glue some nonskid on the bottum of the case ,,or itll slide around like a sled. good luck..
ps also u mite consider how much space this case is going to take up. its why i quit using mine.now its my spare chain and bar holder,,but stays at home.

An old carpet scrap to set the saw on works pretty well. If you are going to tie or bungee so that it doesn't slide you can just grab a cardboard box big enough for the powerhead aand cut a slot in the side for the bar to stick out, Voila', security without scratches and dings.:)

I keep everything in my truckbox which includes 2 saws,spare bars,toolbox,2 2gallon gas cans,2 gallons of bar oil,chaps,helmet,gloves,axe,dozen wedges..I find this works best for me one because it's lockable and two becasue it's waterproof..Everything seems to stay put where I leave it no need for anything else..Well I hope this helps you a little

Rob.

extendable load bar on the way out, wedged between the logs on the way back

I built a rack in the back of my truck, Holds the saws by the bar and keeps the powerheads from getting mashed. Racks are commonplace here it seems.

Russ

next truck

Get a quad cab so all your saws can ride inside and have the extra advantage of air bags and seat belts. I can't believe you let those guys ride in the back with the rest of the tools. Sure they leak a little oil but would you want them to pick up bad habits from the rest of the tools? Where do you put your rifles? In the easy rider rifle rack inside the truck, why should your saws get anything less? If you are going to force them to ride in the back get a good tool box for them to ride in, one of those shiney aluminium ones with the locking lids and your saw maintainance tools can ride in the toolbox with them.

Saw Box

We have a saw box built out of plywood to keep our saws from getting covered in dirt. 27 miles down a dirt road to get to the logging site, everything gets covered. We have one that will hold 4 saws with wrap handles and 28" bars. Inside there are 4x4s with a slot cut into them to set the bar into and 2x4s to set the rear handles in. They don't move at all and everything stays clean and dry. You can also throw in the chaps, helmets, and whatever else you like and lock it up. A small box for one saw would be easy to build and with a couple of handles on it, easy to transport from the garage to the pickup.

Happy planning!!

Matt:)

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I might try the building a plywood box idea. I like the toolbox idea but with a short bed truck a tool box takes up room that can be used for wood. also thought about a headache rack with a shelf on it to mount the saws to but it seems like a lot of work for the amount of time I will be using it for. I've been tying it up on a rubber mat and sticking it in the load on the way back but I want something a little more secure for the new husky 385 Dennis should br sending me. Thanks again.

Being the anal person I am, I have indvidual boxes for my larger saws, but talk about heavy. Anyway, keeps them from getting banged up.

Keep my 020avp in the cab between the bucket seats, a 066 sitting amongst the trash on the floorboard, those two ride fine and dont get used much. the empty beer cans,cope cans, pop cans keep them from moving much.

038mag and another 066 sit in the truckbox, the baroil, spare parts, axes wedges chains bars tools chaps helmets ect hold them all still they ride good.

thos 4 saws are always in the truck,

the other 2 066 get put in the truck every morning and come out every night, the one sits between my handmade 10 gal tank for my saw gas and my diesel fuel tank, the bar slides between the 2 and keeps from moving pretty good. the other sits tween diesel tank and the wheelwell of my truck, rides good, theres enough woodchips and pieces of bark in the back to "pad" the saws agains the bed.

all this in a little toyota 4wd truck.

dont ask why i got 4 saws in my truck at all times...

Jim, I understand!! A saw is a very personal thing... you don't just pick up someone else's saw and use it, that would be like messing with someone's woman!!!

Sawbox

Here is a pic of a box I built for hauling the saw in the pickup bed and storing it in the garage. The open top or crate style allows easy access.

It's 26" x 12 3/4" x 13" hgt & sized for my MS440. I plan on building a 20" long version for smaller saws.

Mike

Thanks for the picture Mike, I like the box. It's a shame that the molded plastic cases are not made for the larger saws. At least I've never found one very big. You would think that the people making the saws would realize that people with larger saws use them in places other than their own back yard and need to transport the saw. Instead they make boxes for saws that usually get used 1 or 2 times a year in the yard and spend the rest of the time sitting on a shelf in the garage. Probably not in the case either.

Yes indeed. Nice work. We seem to be moving up from the "throw it in the back and lets go" stage. My trucks have tool boxes with carpet linings. I use a bar guard on the bar and chain so that the saws aren't chewing on one another. Once upon a time I had a short bed pickup which I was using to transport equipment that precluded using a standard crossbed box. My current shortbed has wide side boxes that will take a big saw with a half wrap handlebar but I had't located any then so I decided to build a box. I made it the full width of the bed and about 15"wide, about 27"tall (I don't remember exact dimensions). The top was hinged and had a hasp and padlock for security. Inside I secured some 1"x2" strips along the sides the length of the box. I used some light plywood pieces (3/8th I think) to make a drop in shelf. By using 2 pieces that met in the middle and drilling a big hole at each end I could reach in after taking out the top level of saws/tools out and slide the shelf out of the way and grab the bottom level of saws and tools from either side. It really worked well without taking up much bed space.

Latest posts

Back