Advice on adding a longer bar to a Husq. 445. Is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeereg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 445 that I bought new about 9 or 10 years ago. It still runs great with the 18" bar it came with. The bar is pretty worn out though. I was thinking of going to a 20". I would like to upgrade to a bigger saw in the future and it looks like a lot of the bigger saws have different pitch. I was hoping I could keep the bar and use it on whatever new saw I get down the road. I dont have much extra money right now or I would just upgrade.

Anyone else have a 445 over 10 years old? Wondering how long they last. I have cut roughly 50-70 cords of wood with it.

Any reviews on your use with this combination? Thanks

I agree with the other fellas. That`s only a 50cc saw (if i`m not mistaken), so stay with the 18 inch bar.

Depends on how you're using your saw. As @Jonny Quest alluded, there are (a few) times you want a longer bar and (many) times you want a shorter bar.

It still runs great with the 18" bar it came with. The bar is pretty worn out though. I was thinking of going to a 20".

I have cut roughly 50-70 cords of wood

I don't know when the 445 went from 45 cc to 50.

As you now know, many people will say the 445 is best run with the 16" and that the 18" is OK. I have an 45cc 445 with the 18", and it, too, has been solid.

I do think, however, that 2" from 18 to 20 will neither (1) make you a lot happier, nor (2) be a massive mistake. Probably, a "No Big Deal" choice.

70 cords! Of falling and bucking into firewood? If so...good job...you must know how to take care of a saw. How much more life in it??? Who knows. I would be watchful for early signs of an air leak. Someday, you will need a new piston ring.

Yes...when you get a bigger saw, it will probably want 3/8" chain and you won't want to use the 445 bar...assuming you are running .325.

Roy

I don't know when the 445 went from 45 cc to 50.

As you now know, many people will say the 445 is best run with the 16" and that the 18" is OK. I have an 45cc 445 with the 18", and it, too, has been solid.

I do think, however, that 2" from 18 to 20 will neither (1) make you a lot happier, nor (2) be a massive mistake. Probably, a "No Big Deal" choice.

70 cords! Of falling and bucking into firewood? If so...good job...you must know how to take care of a saw. How much more life in it??? Who knows. I would be watchful for early signs of an air leak. Someday, you will need a new piston ring.

Yes...when you get a bigger saw, it will probably want 3/8" chain and you won't want to use the 445 bar...assuming you are running .325.

Roy
Everything i`m finding says the 445 are 50cc. I even did the math conversion.

1687489900050.png

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/chainsaws/445/

There is no magic in bigger bars on smaller saws. I typically run the SMALLEST bar that is reasonable for the work I'm doing. Long bars are for BIG trees and limbing without having to bend over too much...

JQ
Same issue. I am an old guy (80) with a history of lower back injuries, and bone loss because of prednisone, so I run a 24 inch bar with a skiptooth chain. I keep the chain sticky sharp, and the saw tells me how much to lean into the cut.
Yesterday, I did some long rip cuts on a 30 inch x 8ft Douglas Fir, using a Stihl 041AV, a 28 inch bar, full house chain, and 100:1 mix.
It worked like a champ.

Everything i`m finding says the 445 are 50cc. I even did the math conversion.

View attachment 1092279

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/chainsaws/445/

My mistake. The early 445 was 46cc not 45.

At some point, Husky started making them 50 cc.

I am not saying the change in displacement makes any noticeable difference. I have never run the 50cc version. While I have not run a 46cc 445 right next to a Husky 350...it seems to me, that they run pretty much the same.

Roy

Thanks for all the replies folks! I should have mentioned that I had a huge oak taken down in our yard. I ended up going out and buying the 20" bar since I otherwise wouldn't have been able to connect in the middle when cutting on both sides of the log.

It runs pretty good with that combo although I have nothing to compare it to. The tree guy had a massive Stihl to take the main trunk down and cut up where it was even too big for my saw cutting from both sides. Obviously that is the right tool for the job but kind of over my head. The thing sounded more like a Yamaha banshee idling haha.

All in all I've been just trying to get it done as much myself as possible to save some money. The 20" bar does chatter quite a bit more than the 18". Not sure why that is.

Roy
Yep, probably 70 cords maybe more. Mostly all trees that were already on the ground. I've lived in a house that we heat almost exclusively with wood for 10 years now. I also cut some for my Dad for his workshop. We have 3 teenage boys and 1 who is 10 so that helps with the labor haha!

Thanks for the report on the 20" 445.

Chatter? I have had chains which chattered out of the box, but settled down after I sharpened them.

Did you change chain brand/style? Have you sharpened it?

Roy

It was a new Husq. bar and chain. Mostly when I am burying the bar to cut a log thicker than the saw blade. It did settle down a little after being run a bit. Maybe it's just so sharp out of the box?

I don't think it is too sharp. But, I also, really, have no idea what causes it.

It has only happened 2-3 times to me...and, the chains always settled down after the first or second sharpening. Never when running a Husky chain, however.

Thanks for the report on the 20" 445.

Chatter? I have had chains which chattered out of the box, but settled down after I sharpened them.

Did you change chain brand/style? Have you sharpened it?

Roy
The 445 is only a 2.8hp 50 cc saw running at 9000rpm The chatter is probably do to the lack of sufficient chain speed to clear the chips in the cut. Upgrading from a 18” 72dl to a 20” 80dl is pushing the limits and potential of the saw. Sharpening the chain a few times without filing the rakers will actually throw smaller chips and maintains sufficient chain speed to clear the chips. A full chisel chain is also more aggressive than a semi chisel chain so chain style matters especially on a low hp saw.

I run 15 inch bars on 50cc saws but have a 20 hanging the garage wall for the odd large tree I have to cut up.
I was taught how to run a saw with a short bar on the saw, putting a 20 inch bar on a 50cc saw just seams wrong to me lol.
With proper sharpening they will run 20's but I find I have lack of bar oil issues with a 20 inch bar, with the 15 inch bar oil is slinging off the end of the bar and the oil hole stays clean.

Back