Tree Care class in Landscape Tech Program

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
This fall, I am enrolling again for a repeat of the
Fall / 2003 tree care class at Portland Community College in Oregon.

Other adventures were the ordering of the book from ISA's bookstore on arboriculture and law.

This fall is tree review season.

For locals, PCC has an easy to access shedule and descriptive course content outlines via the website.

In case anyone is curious about what kind of fall tree program is included in a landscape program in Oregon, here's part of what's taught:

Course Content and Outcome Guide

DATE: 1/3/00 PREPARED BY: LOREN RADFORD
COURSE TITLE: TREE CARE FALL
COURSE NUMBER: LAT 235
CREDIT HOURS: 3
LECTURE HOURS PER WEEK:2
LAB HOURS PER WEEK:3
NUMBER OF WEEKS:11
SPECIAL FEE:$8

COURSE DESCRIPTION:Students are introduced to the principles and practices of modern arboriculture. Topics covered will include tree biology, planting, diagnosing tree problems, basic rope work and tree climbing with rope and saddle. ADDENDUM TO DESCRIPTION:This course is designed to give the student a practical, but partial background in modern arboriculture. Emphasis is given to understanding trees and tree biology and how modern arboriculture practices relate to tree physiology. Hands-on activities will include planting B & B and container trees, diagnostic procedures, and an introduction to rope and saddle tree climbing. INTENDED OUTCOMES FOR COURSE: Understand basic tree biology and how it affects arboricultural techniques. Develop basic skills in tree climbing. Understand how diseases and pests affect trees. Understand the role urban forests play in law and politics. Properly plant a tree. OUTCOME ASSESSMENT STRATEGIES: Written mid-term and final exams End of term written project or oral presentation Performance competencies INSTRUCTIONAL GOALS AND OBJECTIVESUpon successful completion of this course, the student will have satisfactorily accomplished the goals and objectives listed in this Course Content Outcome Guide. The Course Content Outcome Guides are developed by college-wide subject area faculty and approved by management.

1.0 TREE BIOLOGY

INSTRUCTIONAL GOAL:
The goal is to acquire the knowledge and skills involving:
A. The value of trees in the landscape
B. Compartmentalization in trees
C. The morphology, anatomy, and physiology of trees.

OBJECTIVES:
1.1 Value of trees in landscape
1.1.1 Discuss the physical, visual, psychological, and economic
benefits of trees in the landscape.

1.2 Compartmentalization
1.2.1 Explain how a tree compartmentalizes wounds.
1.2.2 Explain how compartmentalization has affected tree maintenance
practices.

1.3 Tree Biology
1.3.1 Identify the external and internal parts of a bud and explain
how they grow.
1.3.2 Identify the external parts of a twig.
1.3.3 Identify the external parts of a leaf and explain how a leaf
functions.
1.3.4 Explain the process of transpiration and what importance it
has to the tree.
1.3.5 Identify the internal parts of a woody tree trunk and explain the
function of these parts.
1.3.6 Identify the external parts of root and explain the function of
those parts.
1.3.7 Discuss how apical dominance influences tree form.

2.0 PLANTING

INSTRUCTIONAL GOAL
The goal is to acquire knowledge and skills involved in the planting of trees.

OBJECTIVES
2.1 Selection Factors
2.1.1 Explain what factors affect selection of tree species for planting.
2.1.2 Evaluate a given tree as planting stock for vigor and quality.

2.2 Planting
2.2.1 Demonstrate the proper planting of a container or B & B tree.
2.2.2 Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of staking and
guying trees.
2.2.3 Demonstrate proper staking of a tree.
2.2.4 Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of soil amendments.
2.2.5 Discuss what methods can be used to improve planting site drainage.
2.2.6 Explain what special provisions must be made when planting
trees in special situations (i.e. paved areas, xeric sites, landfills)

3.0 Tree Diagnosis

INSTRUCTIONAL GOAL:
The goal is to acquire the knowledge and skills involving:
A. Environmental disorders of trees.
B. Infectious diseases of trees.
C. Insect pests of trees
D. Diagnostic approach and procedures

OBJECTIVES
3.1 Diagnostic approach and procedures
3.1.1 Explain the importance of logical and methodical methods to diagnosis.
3.1.2 Identify the function of diagnostic tools used by the arborist.
3.1.3 Use a diagnostic check list to evaluate a tree.
3.1.4 Properly collect leaf, twig and bark samples.

3.2 Environmental Disorders
3.2.1 Identify the symptoms of the following non-infectious disorders and
a treatment recommendation for each.
a) Grade change and soil compaction
b) Drought
c) Excavation damage
d) Chlorosis
e) Herbicide injury
f) Air pollution
g) Salt
h) Mechanical damage

3.3 Infectious Diseases

3.3.1 Identify the general groups of disease causing pathogens.
3.3.2 Identify the symptoms and a treatment recommendation from a list
of specific diseases given by the instructor.

3.4 Insect Pests
3.4.1 Identify specimens and their damage from a list of specific
arboreal insect pests given by the instructor.
3.4.2 Explain what IPM is and some central options encompassed by it.

4.0 Tree Climbing

INSTRUCTIONAL GOAL:
The goal is to acquire knowledge and skills involving:
A. Rope work and handling.
B. Rope and saddle techniques for tree climbing.

OBJECTIVES:
4.1 Rope work
4.1.1 Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different rope
materials.
4.1.2 Given a tree work situation, determine the proper ropes and
equipment to use.

4.2 Tree Climbing
4.2.1 Demonstrate the ability to plan a climbing strategy before
climbing.
4.2.2 Properly ascend a tree to a height of 16 feet or more and descend
using a rope and saddle.

The class material is about twice as developed as it was in the 80s.

I took the Pesticides class 3 times there. One reason on that one was it qualified for CEUs for renewal of Pesticide Applicators Licences. Its also why I was one of the few in the college that passed the Oregon State Pesticide Applicators license exam.

( EDIT - State Pesticide Consultants licence exam, rather)

Pesticide info changes periodically.

For the tree class, I also want to hear the instructor, Scott Plamondon, who was the Urban Forester for the City of Beaverton. I think he has a State of Oregon position now.

(adding an edit after a google search - he's the Urban Forestry Coordinator for the State of Oregon, and also was Eugene, Oregon's Urban Forester)

PCCs great strength is the experience of the instructors. I used to sit for a drink and pizza after every night class with instructors in the 80s, which provided an education on top of the education. Because after class, they can share what they would like to add in class, but are not allowed to.

One other thing that's handy - personal head-hunting. I'm planning on adding an employee next season. And while I'm around the college, I'll get a chance to meet and observe some of the students first hand.

The student age runs on the high side average in landscape tech. The students are not around 20 or 25. They are around 30 to 50. (that's averages, so maybe 20 to 60 might phrase it better)

Last edited:
Curriculum looks really good--wonder how it compares w CC's in MN and VA that teach it.
I'd rather see PHC taught than IPM; time to switch acronyms and approaches.;)
Why take it twice? Sometimes input from a veteran can add content and ed. value for the younger students, plus hearing fresh discussion of the material can open new angles even for the vets.

I wish our land-grant university, NCSU, taught it but they're too busy chasing research dollars elsewhere. Any other 4-yr schools teach something like this?

That's another reason why I really don't want to go into the private sector. Working here at Purdue certainly has the advantage of being able to keep on top of new info maybe even get in on helping with some of the research. If I had the time there are many classes that I would take again every 3-4 years because the technology is changing so quickly. For instance I really think that most grafting techniques will become past history because of all the advancements in tissue culture.

Guy Meilleur brough up a point I had totally forgot about - fresh discussion and ideas.

I recall now, that in previous classes, the questions and discussion generated by students had a positive effect on a class, and repeats proved that the discussion caused each class to be an occassion in itself.

I think that Clackamas Commnunity College on the east side of Portland has a 2 year program in forestry. I'm not sure how parallel it is to horticulture or arboriculture programs.

Next year I may take a course there if something is offered that's not available at this west side college.

One class that was a kick in the ass, previously, was the Bonsai / Saikae class taught by a Bonsai Master. I had never heard of saikae before - basically miniturized landscapes, like groupings of bonsai trees and micro-pruned azalea bushes in large trays.

Personally, I think Jap pruning is too high maintenance for most anybone's pocket book. But there are excellent principles regarding balance and geometry that work for big trees and landscaping.

Having gone through the Landscape Horticulture and Design program at Purdue, I can say that AFAIK Purdue does NOT have just a single class that specifically covers the posted class objectives of the class in Oregon.

However, there are several classes that teach much of what was listed. Much of what I saw listed would fall under FNR 444 (Forestry and Natural Resources Department) and HORT 317 (Horticulture Department). The FNR class was my "tree climbing class", as I affectionately called it, and was probably the class that I enjoyed the most. The Hort class was probably second most enjoyable for me.

Other objectives fall into Botany and Plant Pathology, and more basic Horticulture classes. Which I guess gives a more rounded education, while paying more $$$, right?:D

Dan

Anyone know how colleges in their area cover plant identification.

Our area breaks it into:

Winter term
- Evergreen Plant Materials
- Turfgrass Identification

Spring
- Flowering Trees and Shrubs
- Annuals and Perennials
- Weeds, in Plant Diseases, Insects and Weed ID

Summer
- Native Plants

Fall
- Deciduous Plant Materials

They hustle buns for the flowering and deciduous classes to keep pace with blooming and leaves falling - especially since each year is a bit different.

I've been curious about whether states like Arizona include Cactus and Succulent ID.

Originally posted by M.D. Vaden
Anyone know how colleges in their area cover plant identification.
NCSU has dendrology for foresters and tazxonomy for hort. like purdue, they have a smattering of skills between forestry and hort that an arborist can use. hort course has climbing for a week or so. pathology course had 20% useful for arb stuck in foresters info, same w entomology, etc.

You gotta dig to find arb info, and waste time and $ doing it.:mad:

Not here- The Dendrology class(Forestry class) is taught in the fall and by the end of the semester you will know your trees by leaves, buds and bark(smell and taste come in handy sometimes too:p ). If I remember correctly there over 100 trees that you are introduced to and have to know the complete scientific name for-genus, family and species. The Hort 317(mostly a woody perennials) class that Danf was talking about is done the same way-as a fall class and your knowledge base is for quite a few more plants since it covers most of the landscape plants used in the surrounding zones. There is also Hort 318 that covers all of the rest of the landscape plants-perennials and annuals. If you can get through those three classes here then you have managed to cover about every type of plant that is usually used on the green industry around. In both of the Hort classes just the species and family is required for memorization(but they also throw in a lot of the varieties too).
Any other ???

In both of the Hort classes just the species and family is required for memorization(but they also throw in a lot of the varieties too)

Since when???? Maybe when you took them, but things changed in between you and I.:D:D

I was quizzed and tested at random on characteristics, habits, bloom color/time, water requirements, etc, etc, for both classes. Of course, you had to know genus, species, and common name too...

Both the HORT 217 (woody plants) and 218 (herbacious plants) required 20 plants per week. 217 got fun during the viburnum and juniper weeks.:mad:

Dan

OK I'm getting old and gray and didn't get into every class detail but yes you're right on the rest of the "stuff", BUT you didn't have Harrison Flint.:angel:

Dan F -

I remember our juniper weeks too - the infantry of junipers.

Smell did come up for a few plants, I recall Pondersosa Pine and Japanese White Pine having a citrus aroma.

Turfgrass ID can be a blast - advancing past the more visible folded or rolled leaf, the little parts are like looking for sexual parts on mosquitos.

When I took the entry level forest products class at OSU we had to ID American tree species from small blocks of lumber. Had to use a magnafier to look at rings, rays, pores. The dendro class focussed on native west coast trees.

The community college scene has a different feel from the university deal. The Portland Community college instructors I had were either past or present business owners offering a real world view. The information given was meant to be put to work. Most of the students I had classes with worked in the landscape industry during the day and went to school at night. Great for networking, and getting a feel for what the competition is up to.

The second time we went to Philmont with Scouts, the guys who hadn't been there before thought we were nuts the first time we went up to a Ponderosa Pine and started sniffing the bark!:D

IIRC, most of them smelled like vanilla, and occasionally you would find one that smelled like caramel. Or was it the other way around.....?

Latest posts

Back