Tree Climber Killed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A fellow tree climber, former coworker and my friend, was killed today when he was struck by a tree. I do not have all the details but will post them as they become available.

Brian is survived by his wife and three children. I ask that every one pray for them. Without a father and his income, times will be hard.

Two climbers in two months. Too much lost.

Tim, I'm sorry for your loss. What was Brian's last name?

Oakwilt

This is the second climber killed here where I live in less than a year. Many others have had injuries. :(

I though I would hold off on Brian's last name for a day or so.......

Last edited:
They way I understand it, the tree was too dead to climb. They used a Bobcat to push while Brian cut. The tree caught up in a pine and rolled. Hit him right behind the neck and crushed him.

I found out that I will be one of the guys finishing the job tomorrow. Not something I am looking forward to. I was in the top of a tree doing a removal this morning and Brian came by on the way to that job. He yelled out something funny and I just laughed. If I would have known he would be dead in a few hours I would have came down and climbed that d@mn tree.

I don't know what to say, Tim. Just that it hurts to hear about things like this. Wish I had words to say what I want to. :(

Hang in there man. All persons who work this industry are in my prayers daily. Each day I grow a deeper respect for this professsion. Its just crazy how these freak accidents happen and how they could happen to any one on any given day.

respectfully,

NIK1978

The Climber's name is Brian Kitchen. He was 43 years old.

If anyone would like to make donations, send cards or letters, send them to:

Cindy Kitchen
C/O John McCarthy
Acadia Tree & Stump
710 Pepperhill Circle
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579

Cindy was involved in an automobile accident about a year ago and due to injuries she received is not able to make up for the loss of Brian's income. Cindy has three children to provide for.

Thanks for all the replies. This loss has affected many people in my community.

Tim,
I'm sorry for your loss. Me and my family will pray for you and Brian's family. Hang in there buddy.

Always tough to lose a friend , especially a tree friend! Take care everybody.:(

Sad news for sure.... I hope we all can take a lesson to make every cut like our life depends on it...
That pic has my mind doing summersaults..
Seems like a fairly straightfoward job...
What made them think tree was too dead to climb?? Any test drilling done?
Why not use a rope instead of machine? Although machine is easier.. rope gives more control
What kind of notch and felling cut did they use? Pehaps an open face with a back release would have turned out diffferently
It's unlikely but perhaps using a power pruner to remove the lower branches would have helped.
Looks like they were trying to push the tree to the left (in the pic)
judging from the stump and tire tracks.. and from Tim's info.. sounds like the tree got hung up and then hinge failed due to weak wood and or over cutting... then tree fell approx. 90* to facing direction... right back on Brian..
It might have been safer for him to cut from the oppposite side, though more akward saw handling.. And it's all speculation anyhow... I Am trying to learn something here... anything
Breaks my heart looking at that picture and thinking of those kids growing up without a Dad and him never getting a chance to see them grow up..
Please be careful
God Bless All,
Daniel

It was a simple job. Any of us here would have walked right thru it with no problem. I still don't know why this happened. We are still in shock here. I was expecting a much larger tree when I pulled up to the site.

I found out yesterday that Brian was not the one felling the tree. Makes me wonder how close we come every day to getting hurt on the job.

Why not use a rope instead of machine?

first thing that came to my mind.

Thanks for keeping us posted Tim.

If you could get pictures of the stump/but for us to look at so we cazn understand this better.

Was the hinge cut out? Made improperly?.....

I would like to learn from this terrible mistake. Hope our boss will let us.

Tim, really sorry to hear about this horrible tragedy. It is weird that I see this post just now. I was at lunch today with a bunch of other arb / parks kids and we all got to talking about different accidents that we had heard about in the business. Scary ???? when you think about it.

In a related, yet unrelated side note, I called up an elderly customer the other night in order to say thank you for a referral which I got. The guy is 70 now and just had quadrouple bypass surgery this spring. Well apparently his wife just had a major stroke the other day and is not in very good condition at all.

I have no Idea why a rope was not used and no idea why Brian was in the way. I personally feel that a rope gives more control. I don't know for sure if the hinge was cut out but it looks like it was......

Tim,
In no way do I want to belittle this accident. It is a tragedy whenever we lose a fellow climber on the job. But from what little we've heard and from seeing the pictures, it seems like it might have been preventable.
It goes back to something I heard a long time ago and it applies in almost every case. It takes two people not paying attention for an accident to happen. Except for the guy with the saw, there should not have been anyone in close proximity to the tree. If I am flopping a 50' tree, I won't cut unless there isn't anyone within 60' of the tree. And it is the responsibility of every crew member to make sure they are far enough away to not get hit. It is easy to get careless with 'silly safety rules' when we have done this daily for years. But a situation like this reminds all of us just how easy it is to die when we think we are too good to follow basic safety rules.

My heart aches for you, your crew, and Brian's family. :(

Back