Tree Climber Killed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian,

Now you know why I changed tree services. I worked with Brian at that company for a year. I am not into that rush thing. I will walk off a job before I will let the boss or forman try to rush me or take short cuts Just because he had to bid the job low just to get it. My father was considered the most expensive tree service around here but we won the bids and were able to take the time to do the job the right way and safely. We never had a death on our crews.

The top of that tree should have been thrown out and the stub dropped. The more the shock of Brian's death wears off the more angry I become at him and his boss. If the hinge was not cut through, that tree would have never rolled. If Brian was not in the way he would be alive today.

There were at least three mistakes, best I can tell. First the bobcat was used to push. If you guys recall my sentiments about this from the thread, "Truck Pull", you know I think this type of use of a machine is wrong.
Next the hinge was cut through. Even the best will do this on occasion. Cutting at the same height as the notch helps you to spot this. Cutting above the notch you won't see the saw cutting past the hinge until it's too late. It looks like that's what happened here. Having a bobcat racing away adds another elemnt to worry about as you cut, and it could have added to the difficulty of making a good hinge.
The third element is the proximity to the street. Was Brian watching the sidewalk or street, just in case it fell the wrong way? Could he be safely situated to watch for pedestrians, traffic, and a falling log?
It was already mentioned, but should be again, complacency is not ever a good thing in high risk work.
My heart aches for the family of this man. He sounds like the kind of guy I would have liked, screaming out the truck window. It makes me want to do my job safer so I don't leave my family this way. We all should.
I had a rain day today and included checking my life insurance, with the other errands.

You are right on the money Mike. I am sure we could find other mistakes too.

I think the street was blocked off by Santee Cooper, the power company. Brian was talking with them while the tree was being cut. I first thought Brian was felling the tree but his boss was. He said he did not know why Brian walked over at the time. Maybe he thought the tree was "hung" and would not come down. I don't know. Maybe we never will.

mishaps

not to tray off the topic here , just one I heard of a man took the cage off his bobcat to clean out his chicken houses better as in lean out to see the sides of the bucket........ he hit the down pedal with his head out .... it hit the back of his neck...... they found him in the chicken house on the bobcat going round an round in a circle:( lets all look after ourselves and the other man too

COMMUNITY NEWS

Public can aid tree trimmer’s family

B KENNETH A GAILLIARD

The Sun News

The employer of a Surfside Beach man who died trimming trees last week is raising money for his family, which found itself with no insurance coverage after his death.

Brian D. Kitchen Jr. had been part of the three-man crew of Meadows Tree Removal and Lot Clearing of Myrtle Beach for more than three years. He died Oct. 16 after a cut tree struck him while he was working in the 500 block of First Avenue North in Surfside Beach.

Kitchen’s wife, Cindy Kitchen, said the family had no life insurance, and her husband’s employer, Michael Meadows Jr., didn’t have workers’ compensation insurance. Meadows, along with John McCarthy, owner of Acadia Tree and Stump, are raising money to help the family.

Cindy Kitchen said she was surprised and disappointed to learn her husband’s employer didn’t have workers’ compensation insurance.
But Meadows said Kitchen knew the tree service didn’t have the coverage and that Meadows only carried liability insurance on the business.

Joel Scott, compliance investigator for the SC. Workers’ Compensation, Commission, said businesses with fewer than four employees aren’t required to have workers’ compensation insurance, which he said can be costly for small companies.
The accident is being investigated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to determine whether safety regulations were violated.

Meadows said he is raising money to help Kitchens family because, “He was not only my friend, he was my right hand. This was like a family.”

McCarthy and Meadows have raised about $800 combined, and they are still seeking donations.
“I’m doing this because they are struggling, and I hope this money will help them out,” he said. “He was a nice guy, very personable, and he liked everybody.”
Cindy Kitchen said she is thankful for any help. She said Meadows and other friends gave her about $800 to help offset the $5,000 cost of her husband’s final arrangements. Services were held Sunday in Maryland.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do next,” she said. “I’ll take it a day at a time.”

She and Kitchen had been a couple about 17 years and were to celebrate their sixth wedding anniversary Thursday, she said.
She worried about the potential dangers of her husband’s job, but she said he was a cautious worker.

‘He was a hell of a man” she said. “He did anything for anybody.”

INFORMATION:

Want to help?

A fund has been established to assist the family of Brian Kitchen. Make checks payable to Kitchen Family Memorial Fund, and mail to Sun Bank, c/o Sherri Presley, P.O. Box 1359, Murrells Inlet, SC 29576.

Contact KENNETH A. GAILLIARD at 626-0312 or [email protected].

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/sunnews/news/local/4364511.htm

Thank you, Tim

Boy, that is tough to read. But it certainly digs up one of our tough little secrets and brings it right out into the glaring daylight.

I also am working without Worker's Comp. and have been since I started climbing again in Feb. I try not to think about what might happen, instead focusing on trying to prevent any serious injury to myself. But I know in my heart that if I get injured than I'm screwed. At least I'm not supporting a family.

Dammit, I was just fine ignoring this issue. :(

The ugly reality is that workman's comp serves to limit the employer's liability. Without comp the sky is the limit IF the employer is at fault. The catch is collecting on a judgement. It's sad to read this stuff. The employer may be straining his resouces in giving the widow $800 but it makes me want to gag.:( :angry:

No mention of the homeowner's insurance. I know the lawyer who profited off my truck wreck (wasn't even my fault) would target the homeowner.

TREE CLIMBER DEATH

If the spouse has the mental stamina,

and if a tree associate can aid her: I offer the following suggestion:

If someone is willing to still handle the calls and bids and work - or subcontract it, its possible to service their customers.

Then its possible to put the business up for sale as a functioning business - for a percentage of profit for a certain number of years.

Some businesses - this is not workable. For others, with assistance, it can at least put a major dent in the financial loss instead of the whole life's project biting the dust.

I send my sympathy - the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Mario Vaden - Oregon

I'm sorry that you misunderstood the information, Vaden. The man killed was an employee, not an owner. It might have been suggested that the owner (who dropped the tree) might lose his business if the widow were to pursue legal action.

Back