Tree Climbers Wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAR

Reaction score
Regional landscaping firm based in Baltimore, MD is seeking experienced climbers for its expanding tree division.

Minimum 5 years experience and CDL required

Full-time, year round employment
EOE

$16 - $19 per hour depending on experience

Paid holidays(6), sick days(5), and Paid Vacation

Paid health care, retirement savings plan

Send resume to [email protected] or fax to (410) 602-0688, attn: Human Resources

For some one unemployed, in Baltimore, with 5 yrs experience, that is a good deal.

But no one is going to relocate for that.

Hey, you get what you pay for. For that kind of money, they will get some local kid that claims to know how to run a saw. Unless they have a decent training program they will have nothing but problems with those wages.

Any climber worth hiring certainly isn't going to move to Baltimore for that kind of dollars. I can make more than that here in FL and the best part is NO SNOW! We work 12 months a year here.

Just out of curiosity what is the typical income tax in the United States ?
Here in Sweden it's around 30% for the first $20 000 and then
55% on everything on top of that.

Sweet, so if I make 30K, I get to keep 18.5K!! Sounds like a deal to me.

The good deal Sweden and the rest of euroland has is not having 1 of every 3 tax dollars going to defense. Instead, they get infrastucture that works and more services per tax dollar paid.

Didn't mean to be so sarcastic hillbilly. I have kin folk in Stockholm.

For 5 years experiance, it is not a bad wage. But if you start at 19, is there room for increase? Just curiouse, I bill out higher then that when I'm working in town here.

Federal income tax is scaled too, like 15, 25 and 33%. Cant realy remember. Lotsa loopholes for the rich though.

Wisconsin state income tax is 7.5%

Sales tax in MKE County is 5.6% (Except around the convention center, it is near 7% there)

Property Tax in Milwaukee around $50 per $1k of property value.

US is the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't provide health care to all it's citizens... you gotta be rich to afford getting sick here.. so there are no health insurance payments in Sweden. Just one of many scams that exploit the working man...
Should we make a list???
God Bless,
Daniel

Do you guys know the area posted about originally? Doesn't sound too bad, paid vac., paid Health care, ret. savings!!!!!!!!!! Said climbers , I don't see anything about lead climbers in that post, although with 5 yrs exper. you're more likely to get somebody who doesn't want to be a boss and just climb? Pretty good starting pay for an unproven person off the street.

Sorry for leading this thread off topic with my question about US income tax, just wanted to compare the hour rate to what is customary over here.
The original poster claims that health care is included so by
that it seems like a descent offer with $16-19 an hour.
There might be a too many other parameters to make a direct comparsion however.

And JPS, sorry Sweden doesn't make one dime on oil, Norway is
the only Scandinavian country with oil assets :)

RAR,
I don't know anything about MD but here in southern, IL. $16.00 - $19.00 is good. I'm sure there is not a lot of people who have the 5 years experience. As far as that pay you would most likely get 100's of applicants. $10.00 per hr. is considered good here. I do understand we are talking about a profession that takes some experience.

2 for 1

It also says CDL required, it looks to me like they are looking for a truck driver an climber all in one, thats a long shot ........

Well the CDL I don't really think is a big thing. Around here its a three week course at the local JR college. But the other experience would of course be a bit more uncommon.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
For 5 years experiance, it is not a bad wage. But if you start at 19, is there room for increase? Just curiouse, I bill out higher then that when I'm working in town here.

Another JPS jewel which leaves me scratching my head.
If a climber is being paid $19 per hour, a company would have to bill out higher than that. There are other costs like, "Paid holidays(6), sick days(5), and Paid Vacation, Paid health care, retirement savings plan", WC insurance(over 30 cents on the dollar), and many other overhead costs, fixed and variable.
A typical figure I have heard thrown around by accountants, is it costs about double what you pay the employee. So the charge to break even for a $19 per hour employee, would be around $38 per hour, and then one would want to add profit to that.

Mike,
I believe you. I don't know much about running a business but I don't want to try it. I bet there are costs I wouldn't even think about when you have people working for you.

Re: 2 for 1

Originally posted by spreaderman
It also says CDL required, it looks to me like they are looking for a truck driver an climber all in one, thats a long shot ........

It might be a long shot but I have CDL DL and climb. I would rather climb than drive though. I will take a saddle over a steering wheel any day. :)

CDL requirements are common for jobs in the tree business. Since we handle large amounts of heavy material, we need big trucks to perform our jobs. The best treeman in the world won't do you a lot of good if you can't get the chipper truck and log truck to and from the jobs. I've had a class B CDL with air brake endorsement for almost 10 years now.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
CDL requirements are common for jobs in the tree business. Since we handle large amounts of heavy material, we need big trucks to perform our jobs. The best treeman in the world won't do you a lot of good if you can't get the chipper truck and log truck to and from the jobs. I've had a class B CDL with air brake endorsement for almost 10 years now.

Brian,

I agree 100%. I do not know how it is everywhere else but around here it is hard to find a treeman with a driver’s license period much less a CDL. A lot of companies are keeping their trucks under 26k to avoid a need for CDL drivers.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Federal income tax is scaled too, like 15, 25 and 33%. Cant realy remember. Lotsa loopholes for the rich though.

Just a FYI. Industry and the wealthy (500k+ per year) pay 95% or the taxes in the US. Self employed people are taxed at 38% and have to itemize for deductions.

Latest posts

Back