Tree Felling Direction Of Falling Question ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is fantastic. I like running saws as much as the next guy. But cookies don't do it for me much. I enjoy talking and listening when I am able to get up with some folks that have like thinking. I'll keep an eye on this one here. Thanks for the link. A work show would be a good time. Learning some new tricks in real type situations. Heck I watch brand new guys, you'd be surprised how much you can learn even from a baby, if you're willing.

Owl

Come on down next time Scott. You already know some of the people and you'd be a big help.
Are you going to Farley's in June?

Even this tenth saw likes to do productive stuff. I do recommend the CA one. I'm planning on going again. The Technu remains unused.
The Montana one was a good one also and them Montaniaks don't work in the rain. They melt.:msp_smile:

when i was down at farleyville sat bob and i walked the grounds and found some leaners to be culled. just a thought. for june.

That is fantastic. I like running saws as much as the next guy. But cookies don't do it for me much. I enjoy talking and listening when I am able to get up with some folks that have like thinking. I'll keep an eye on this one here. Thanks for the link. A work show would be a good time. Learning some new tricks in real type situations. Heck I watch brand new guys, you'd be surprised how much you can learn even from a baby, if you're willing.

Owl

some of us could swing by and help ya with them alders you have been killing up the road. i see your fresh sawchips when i cruise down the road.

oh ya. owl. i see you. :laugh:
attachment.php

Even this tenth saw likes to do productive stuff. I do recommend the CA one. I'm planning on going again. The Technu remains unused.
The Montana one was a good one also and them Montaniaks don't work in the rain. They melt.:msp_smile:

Hey now, we work in the rain. . . We just move the work inside! :hmm3grin2orange:

don't wanna argu with you randy, but when attemping to swing a tree one way or the other , if you cut one side of hinge and leave the other wich way will tree normally want to go? always follows holding wood right? oh and only trying to give someone who is not a timber faller a different way of thinking about it ........please don't light me on fire

This is true, but try to control a tree with no face cut using just the holding wood! You have no control! The hinge and face work togeather. No face cut = no control and no hinge equals very little control from the face cut. Thats just the way i see it, which hey dont make it right. But seems legit! But I have to agree with Randy Mac more, I don't depend only on the hinge to steer a tree.

I've fell a million + trees, every tree has its own identity when felling them. I never used the bore cut, i liked the box cut on a bad leaner less chance of getting the saw hung up. Basically most trees will fall three ways with out using a wedge, when using a proper undercut and proper hinge pull.
When felling average timber i used the hinge to pull-em right where i wanted them. While felling, i watch the top of the tree and when it got right where i wanted to lay it, i'd saw it off, talking to the tree the whole time, pull, pull.

Try this on some 6 inch trees, using under cut and hinge to fall it where you want it, you'll be amazed what you can do.
My father used to amaze me with what he could do when falling trees. He made a game out of it, he'd say, i bet that i can lay it right there, then show me how he did it. I ran measure stick for him, i got a penny a stick, i usually made $4.00 a day, dad was running a 7-19 Homelite, or the Easy or the Zip.

Come on down next time Scott. You already know some of the people and you'd be a big help.
Are you going to Farley's in June?

Yup all plans point to the south in a month and a half or so. I plan to be there with bells on. So long as they aren't on Randy's ruby slippers, he can have them all to hisself. I will watch that link closely, if something is settled on I will try to act fast to get the time to make it. Sign up soon so other don't bump me out of the vacation time. Ha I was told just today that I had a sickness, when I leave work for a while I work harder when I am gone. They just don't understand. Y'all might have to be gentle though, probably have a new commer with me. Is Slinger gonna be around for this one? HE still working on saws, Got a couple that might be in need some of his assistance.

Technu, that there is a 4 letter word Missy. I get that stuff enough that the doc is only an option now days when the eyes start to swell shut, or more sensitive areas are being threatened. Didn't here of anything in Montana, that would be a good one for the boy and me. Could see some friends while we were that way. Is there a link to that also, or a general direction to search?

some of us could swing by and help ya with them alders you have been killing up the road. i see your fresh sawchips when i cruise down the road.

I didn't even get finished with that little block. It was just fire wood anyhow. I'll call Kevin in the next day or two and get another permit for the summer. We started working on the dory and lost track of time. PC is calling us. The trend is getting better. The boy really likes cutting alder. Got to use his first block face the other day out there. Thought that was pretty slick. That little area time is up Wednesday. Someone else has been in there with us too. Time being up maybe they'll get caught now. I haven't seen them yet. Just clean up their mess. I did get asked though, do you think you own these trees? Who are you to be cutting old growth trees? Do you know how long it takes to grow an old growth tree? Answer. Matter of fact I do own these trees would you like to see the contract? Old growth, what old growth, please point out the old growth and I will stop, they pointed to the one on the ground, oops sorry to late. Started the saw and went back to work. Bout an hour later a deputy cam e up to talk. Looked over that papers and we Bs'd for a bit before he left.

oh ya. owl. i see you. :laugh:
attachment.php

Yes you do see me. Walk down to where the Skagit started, look down and a bit to the west and you will see me plain as day. I saw they had the new tower rigged the other day. The Skagit is all folded up. Word has it the brakes went bad, and they dropped the car. Got everything all fixed up they thought, then dropped another car. Showed up the other morning and not a choker to be found, nothing. Our last day on Alder was the day they moved in the new tower. Still haven't found out about the 7 whistles the other day though. Nobody talking about that one yet. plenty seem to know something happened but nobody knows just what or any particulars.

Owl

Spotted Owl- Is that a big ass'd stump near the bottom edge center of the picture? If so, how big is it??? Would it be bigger than 8ft??

Spotted Owl- Is that a big ass'd stump near the bottom edge center of the picture? If so, how big is it??? Would it be bigger than 8ft??

ya, that's a stump. Looks to be 4 maybe 5 foot. I haven't been up there in a while. Next time I'll take a look see and get back to you. 8 foot would have stood out to me and I don't remember anything like that up there. That is a first gen stump though. Nothing even close to that is happening up there right now. That car under the tower is about 6 or 7 foot long, so that could give you some scale I guess.

Owl

Yup all plans point to the south in a month and a half or so. I plan to be there with bells on. So long as they aren't on Randy's ruby slippers, he can have them all to hisself. I will watch that link closely, if something is settled on I will try to act fast to get the time to make it. Sign up soon so other don't bump me out of the vacation time. Ha I was told just today that I had a sickness, when I leave work for a while I work harder when I am gone. They just don't understand. Y'all might have to be gentle though, probably have a new commer with me. Is Slinger gonna be around for this one? HE still working on saws, Got a couple that might be in need some of his assistance.

Technu, that there is a 4 letter word Missy. I get that stuff enough that the doc is only an option now days when the eyes start to swell shut, or more sensitive areas are being threatened. Didn't here of anything in Montana, that would be a good one for the boy and me. Could see some friends while we were that way. Is there a link to that also, or a general direction to search?

I didn't even get finished with that little block. It was just fire wood anyhow. I'll call Kevin in the next day or two and get another permit for the summer. We started working on the dory and lost track of time. PC is calling us. The trend is getting better. The boy really likes cutting alder. Got to use his first block face the other day out there. Thought that was pretty slick. That little area time is up Wednesday. Someone else has been in there with us too. Time being up maybe they'll get caught now. I haven't seen them yet. Just clean up their mess. I did get asked though, do you think you own these trees? Who are you to be cutting old growth trees? Do you know how long it takes to grow an old growth tree? Answer. Matter of fact I do own these trees would you like to see the contract? Old growth, what old growth, please point out the old growth and I will stop, they pointed to the one on the ground, oops sorry to late. Started the saw and went back to work. Bout an hour later a deputy cam e up to talk. Looked over that papers and we Bs'd for a bit before he left.

Yes you do see me. Walk down to where the Skagit started, look down and a bit to the west and you will see me plain as day. I saw they had the new tower rigged the other day. The Skagit is all folded up. Word has it the brakes went bad, and they dropped the car. Got everything all fixed up they thought, then dropped another car. Showed up the other morning and not a choker to be found, nothing. Our last day on Alder was the day they moved in the new tower. Still haven't found out about the 7 whistles the other day though. Nobody talking about that one yet. plenty seem to know something happened but nobody knows just what or any particulars.

Owl

was wondering about the second yarder. it was up the last time i walked down. yup some big old growth reds in there.:msp_rolleyes: them road alders are a good tree to learn on . go up the hill and act like your going to cut one of the fatties and see them pop a gasket. hear ya on pc. miss taking out the searay. will again someday.

Last edited:
That tree is incredible! Is it in the set or in some way protected (IDK what term to use). What kind of tree is that?

I need to hit the lottery and buy me a BMW GS1200 and cruise out to that side of the world! Last time I was in Washington I was 17 yrs old. I would love to see the PNW again.

That's the Skagit they been having trouble with. It's put away now and looks to be ready for transport. It may be the one they had pulled apart at the shop in town, not sure. Stand at the base there and I can see the house in that photo. That pond out to the North is where the elk died this year. Old nag died in ankle deep water. Not much fun on that one. She was the cleanest one so far though.

Been looking at this a few times now. I haven't figured how they are going to log them roads to the west, tucked up in and behind that finger of timber that got left. Unless they are going to set up low and run down hill, hung out an awful long ways. Every thing I see would be half to three quarters of a mile or so. Been a pile of helicopter traffic lately, so that may be an option too. Just looking form a distance, may see something if I got closer in.

That is a nice stick isn't it. There's a few of them outlaws up there still. You'd be better off as a watermelon at a Gallagher show than touching that thing with a saw. You ever see that one stabbed into the road about 4 miles above the rock pile? We met up with Dan, about that one, and a couple office guys. Got the go ahead on that maybe 5 years back. The wicker bills did their thing and figured it busted 12+ foot into the road bed. Broke off at I guess 70' and slid all the way. That sure smelled nice cutting that thing up. I talked the F&W guys out of that one. They wanted it whole for stream habitat. 40+ on the small end and better than 75' long. Whole, dope smokers. Don't get to play with big stuff anymore, not even for firewood. Seems they'd rather let it rot to nothing.

Any more in your camera? One of these days I need to sit down and figure all this camera and put up pictures thing. Did it a while back and it was a pain. Then I spose I have to remember to take a photo while I'm out there.

Owl

these spots should look familiar owl.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
this terex had some history before risseeuw got it. using it for a tail.

Last edited:
Alrighty, let's see here.

these spots should look familiar owl.
attachment.php

This looks familiar, pretty sure I know this and could drive right to it. Now way in Hades could I tell ya how to get there though. Is that Dorn up in the back?

attachment.php

This one looks like there should be a yellow gate real close by. Over looking to the Mill creek area I think.

attachment.php

Is this the Doan Creek radio towers above Sawtell?

attachment.php

Yup.

attachment.php

Best of all a mechanical guy stump.

this terex had some history before risseeuw got it. using it for a tail.

What's the story on big T there?

Owl

We may not work in the rain but working in -10 with wind and snow sure gets to be a pain.:wink2: Oh and the 2.5 hr commute one way really sucks too.

Latest posts

Back