Tree fence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliniford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to plant a row of trees to act as a natural fence. About 200-275ft long, would like fast growing but not more than maybe 12-18ft tall and as tightly packed as I can get. What should I be looking for, I am in the pacific northwest...

I would like to plant a row of trees to act as a natural fence. About 200-275ft long, would like fast growing but not more than maybe 12-18ft tall and as tightly packed as I can get. What should I be looking for, I am in the pacific northwest...
cannabis fits in your specks, although it may grow a little bigger :monkey: faster in your neck of the hillz:hmm3grin2orange:

If you would like a deciduous hedge Beech is perfect. If you prefer a coniferous hedge that grows fast Lleylandii x cupressocyparis, commonly known as Leylandii is great but be warned it has to be maintained annually. It is easy to keep as an 8-30ft hedge but has to be headed off and topped (yes topped it does not adversely affect this species if performed correctly by a professional.This is a hedge.) if you fail to annually maintain they can easily increase in height by 3-6ft a year, and can reach 100ft in height. Maintained they make a perfect tight screen and are tolerant og colder climates.

Does sassafrass grow out there?

It's a damned nuisance here on the farm, but for a fence it would grow fast, and as long as you mow the areas ya don't want it to spread to, it can be controlled.

Burns fast, hot, and low ash when ya get to taking the bigger ones down.

I have seen some grow 5' in one season in my field, and if given half a chance, the stuff would take over the place in short order.

The words "Aggressive" and "Tree" usually don't combine well, but with Sassafrass it fits. I swear the things grow in the winter, and if they had teeth, they would attack people. LOL!

If you get out this way, I'll give you all the starts you can load on your truck free, plus all the Beer you can drink.

Best of luck!!
Dingeryote

Arbs

Thuja occidentalis "Techny"
Tecnhy arborviate will fit right into your category.
Or personally i like western arborvitae but they grow pretty big out your way.

If you are going to plant any type of arb you are looking at ~70 plants and if you do everything yourself and plant 3'-4' specimens you are looking at no less then $2000.00. If I were in your shoes I would plant ##### willow. They grow really, grow to about 12' tall, grow fast and can be cut to the ground every few years to "reguvenate" their size and shape. Not sure if they will grow out there but I am sure there is some type of shrub type willow that will. To plant them all you need are cuttings dipped in some type of rooting compound, although they so root naturally. To ensure good root formation, no matter what you plant, I would have someone rototill the ground before you plant.

Consider Canaerti junipers.

Relatively quick growing for a juniper, they are very hardy and form a dense hedge. They can be sheared to make a formal hedge if you desire. They will eventually be impenetrable if planted on 4'-5' centers. 6' & 7' centers will even fill eventually. Expect 5-8 years before they begin to form a barrier.

Bagworms love them, unfortunately. If your area is infested, you will need to treat at least every 2 years. In not in your area, then no problem!

Thank you for all the suggestions, I am going to look in to them to see how they work out cost wise. If I can keep it under maybe 10-20 dollars per tree I will do it.

If you are going to plant any type of arb you are looking at ~70 plants and if you do everything yourself and plant 3'-4' specimens you are looking at no less then $2000.00. If I were in your shoes I would plant ##### willow. They grow really, grow to about 12' tall, grow fast and can be cut to the ground every few years to "reguvenate" their size and shape. Not sure if they will grow out there but I am sure there is some type of shrub type willow that will. To plant them all you need are cuttings dipped in some type of rooting compound, although they so root naturally. To ensure good root formation, no matter what you plant, I would have someone rototill the ground before you plant.

Nursery stock sure is expensive. If the item is a fast grower or grows like a weed in that location I'm planting bare root 1'-3' stock. My favorite nursery sells tree like this for $1 to 3 a piece. Buy over a hundred and the cost goes down by 30-40%. Plant them every 2-3ft, keep the weeds down and you should have a live fence in no time.

Brian

Plant some multifora rose the natural fence.

That's not a very good idea. That plant has a number of objectionable traits.

Multiflora rose is listed as a noxious weed in Missouri. If allowed to grow on a property (once you are cited), the government can come in, eradicate the plant, and bill you for the removal.

I've never heard of it being done, but I read the law. It's on the books.

If you would like a deciduous hedge Beech is perfect. If you prefer a coniferous hedge that grows fast Lleylandii x cupressocyparis, commonly known as Leylandii is great but be warned it has to be maintained annually. It is easy to keep as an 8-30ft hedge but has to be headed off and topped (yes topped it does not adversely affect this species if performed correctly by a professional.This is a hedge.) if you fail to annually maintain they can easily increase in height by 3-6ft a year, and can reach 100ft in height. Maintained they make a perfect tight screen and are tolerant og colder climates.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

May also want to check with your local SWCD and NRCS to see if you might qualify for any of the cost share programs that maybe available.

Are there any type of small cedar type trees that will stay small? (under 15-20')

We work on a lot of cedar hedges, usually scmaradg (sp) or Brandons. They don't tend to get much higher than 25' but, need to be sheared yearly to look good. They can get pretty scraggly.

The other species that is used a lot for hedges in this area, Vancouver, is Bay Laurel.

Both will grow well in the climate. For some clients, who want insta-hedge, we will plant rootball-to-rootball. If you are willing to wait for a few years for things to fill in, plant at 36" centres.

I've also worked on Leyland cypress hedges, but they are susceptible to root rot, and can look nasty as they get older.

I've seen prices for 4' cedars at $10 Cdn, but don't know about the quality.

No price Treepointer? I believe this is called the "homeowner help forum" If a homeowner is set on doing things themselves I would rather see them do it right and they way they want it rather then BSing their way through it and having it fail. Price is always an important part of a do-it-yourselfers project...if it wasnt they wouldnt be "doing it themselves."

Latest posts

Back