Tree ID pls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eagleknight

Eagleknight

ArboristSite Operative
Not sure what these two are. I am thinking both are bitternut hickory.
189bd988fafd41104d7f86812e518982.jpg
77b5eb2bf13a862aee81982c788cb3d7.jpg

Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Bitternut normally has a bigger darker center than that one shows unless it is pretty small. Hard to give it scale from your pic. Here are 2 pics of bitternut from our area.

MVC-001S_4.JPG

MVC-001S_3.JPG

Your second pic is definitely not bitternut. I'm not seeing it as Beech or hackberry either.

Bitternut Hickory nuts are very distictive and a LOT different than Mockernut. These were what the nuts looked like around the tree shown in my post. Mockernut has a rougher bark from what I have found.

th

Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
In over 40 years of cutting I've never come across a hackberry tree with a dark center that big. The are all white around here. That and the cambium area doesn't have that much tan/brown showing. When you break the rough outer bark it is not that brown either. Here are a couple pics of hackberry from my burn pile.

MVC-004S_12.JPG

10 inch round

MVC-005S_10.JPG

12 inch dry rounds

MVC-003S_17.JPG

Dry round with bark cut with hatchet. Note the dull gray to white color.

MVC-004S_13.JPG

Close to 4 ft diameter hackberry, see the hatchet?

MVC-005S_12.JPG

MVC-006S_7.JPG

Bark does not have the brown inclusions like his first pic. I scraped some fresh off and even it has more gray and white in it.

I have a couple buckeye trees here but can't say that I've ever cut any of it to verify. I n both of your pics that bark looks WAY too smooth to be like ANY hackberry I've ever cut.

Latest posts