Tree ID (Sorry, I'm sure these get asked a lot)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bower4311

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
These trees were cut recently in New York, any way to ID the trees based on these pictures? Or at least narrow it down? What can I do to ID it positively?

Thank you!Wood 1.jpg Wood 2.jpg Wood 3.jpg Wood 4.jpg Wood 5.jpg Wood 6.jpg Wood 6.jpg IMG_20170323_122840492.jpg

I'd have to get closer pictures of the bark and branches. I might go out today. I can also take picture of the branches. Would it help if I cut off a small piece, cut it to see the face grain, dry it in the microwave then sand it? Or something of the sorts. I was reading white oak trees typically leave some leaves on the branches through the winter but after our wind storm which maxed out with speeds of 80mph that could explain why I saw no leaves.

With no leaves to go by, i'm going to say sugar maple - Any of the oaks, especially white have a pungent smell from 1/4 mile away, can't miss it. The close up shot of where you're sitting, the bark, the cut off limb, sugar maple.

http://imgur.com/a/7EDFq

There is an album for the one tree. I am nearly sure they're the same tree. Almost everything is identical. I care more about this one anyway. Click the link for the album. It had just rained here, so you can see a big difference in the color of the wood. I cut a 2" cookie, and took a sliver of it back with me. Not sure what exactly I should do with the wood but if someone lets me know if it can help with the end grain I'll mess with it.

With no leaves to go by, i'm going to say sugar maple - Any of the oaks, especially white have a pungent smell from 1/4 mile away, can't miss it. The close up shot of where you're sitting, the bark, the cut off limb, sugar maple.
I didn't think about the smell of white oak but you are definitely right. I had some logged on my property and you really can smell it from way off.

Easiest way to tell if it is maple is opposite branching. Find a young (tip) branch with lateral offshoots. If they appear to grow in pairs directly opposite, then in the northeast, it will be either ash or maple 99% of time.
In terms of buds if you can see any, maples will be small red tips to large clusters of red buds.
Barks are usually last component I use in confirming an I.d. But I'd have to guess maple as well from what I see in the pics.

Back