Tree inspection via quadcopters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Was curious, so I thought I would ask.

Anyone using an aerial filming platform(ie...quadcopter with GoPro) to inspect trees either for bidding services or anything else?

Scott (not just toys for kids) B

I've been thinking about it. .. it definitely could be a useful tool

There was a discussion about using them to set throw lines: Here. Since then FAA has set new rules that will go into effect in 2017. Summary of those here. Until then, as I understand it, it would be illegal to use them for commercial activity.

@ATH, I understand the 'commercial activity' is not currently defined as anything...that the rules that go into affect are the guidelines from that point on. And it mostly deals with filming in the terms of selling the footage, not viewing for evaluation. But I may be completely wrong....no lawyer here. There are hundreds of people using them everyday to capture overhead footage of real estate...they are claiming to be within the laws as described.

Useful tools are a good reasoning.....maybe I can convince 'the-one-that-must-be-obeyed' to let me keep mine and sell off something else to fund some projects?

Scott (I'm trying to keep it) B

I think it is a great idea.

On one hand, I am of the thinking that if the FAA gets to the point where they think the best use of their resources is stopping arborists from looking at tree defects then maybe we should just give up. On the other hand, I don't need that kind of headache!

I haven't looked into it too much, so perhaps you are right, that this doesn't fall into commercial use - I'm not going to object!

A couple of things stand out to me in that Washington Post article (I know...dangerous relying on one source that popped up in a google search...especially WP):
"The proposed FAA rules for small drones would not apply to people who fly drones for fun or for recreational purposes"
and
"The FAA’s draft rules would make it relatively simple for real estate agents, aerial photographers, police departments, farmers and anyone else to fly small drones for work purposes..."

Suggesting that tree inspection for professional services are probably "regulated" (or restricted, or whatever they are calling it now).

and finally:
"The guidelines, however, have been routinely ignored by drone enthusiasts." (and I haven't heard of fines/punishments, so maybe it is all moot if the aren't going to enforce it)

Also of note, they said they expect 7000 licenses to be issued in 3 years. If they really expect everybody wanting to use a drone for minor remote sensing operations, I'd think 7000 per state may be more realistic.

Very true....on all points.

Before anything was ever on paper(virtual paper), RC's used to be self-monitored in their own groups. But I believe that Amazon had discussed delivery within larger cities with the quads....DING DING DING!!! Government wants money from that!

The only rules that use to apply were: (1) No flights over 400ft, (2) No flights within 3miles of an active airfield, (3) No flights over large crowds(ie, concert events, fairs, etc..), (4) Keep vehicle in sight or have a spotter if flying FPV

I am completely blown away at the number of videos that can be found on Vimeo/YouTube of people breaking these rules at leisure....and I'm sure that is helping a lot with those that must control everything. Their blanket version of punish everyone so no one 'feels' like they were the bad guy.

I've had my quad at 275ft, and it gets darn hard to see it....so most of my flights happen under 100ft anyway(not to imply I think the ceiling should be that, others can go as far as they can safely see all day). For videoing things like sunsets and such, any higher and you sort of loose detail in the landscape.

Scott (yeah, WP...not high on my list) B

When they make an autopilot quad that can retrieve a beer from the fridge for me, I'll be the first guy at the store buying one. Even better if it has a built in bottle opener.

Until then, I have enough toys to play with. Cameras have no real depth of field perception, and visual inspection of trees generally requires knocking/probing, getting in close and having a good look. I can't see a drone of the type we have available to us as having any practical application for tree inspection.

It could be one more tool in the toolbox. It would be considered a Level 3 Inspection tool. It could provide a view from a different angle, but I fear it would be too difficult to get in close enough to see defects without crashing or getting stuck... at which point, who is paying for the retrieval? Are those billable hours?

Latest posts

Back