Tree Insurance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrHerrman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I am going "above the table" on a small tree business I have had for the last couple years. I do not climb yet and mostly do removals, some trimming, and storm clean-ups. I am looking for business insurance and I am working with an agent now who said tree insurance would be right around $1600 a year. I do not do any stump grinding or climbing yet as I stated. I thought I would ask what carriers are the most affordable and dependable. Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Hi I am going "above the table" on a small tree business I have had for the last couple years. I do not climb yet and mostly do removals, some trimming, and storm clean-ups. I am looking for business insurance and I am working with an agent now who said tree insurance would be right around $1600 a year. I do not do any stump grinding or climbing yet as I stated. I thought I would ask what carriers are the most affordable and dependable. Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

First off, climbing has nothing to do with Arborist insurance. You will be held in the same bracket whether you're climbing or not. I believe when pruning trees under a certain height (in certain states) does not require the same type of insurance as if you were doing removals, and prunnings above say (I'm guessing here) 15ft.

Second, you use the term "insurance" in a very generalized manner. I'm assuming you are speaking of liability and not workman's comp, or vehicle/equipment insurance.

Third, how are you taking trees down if you don't climb? You don't have a bucket truck listed in your toy chest.

Last edited:

That's pretty much landscaping if you are not going above 15 ft regularly. Insurance for landscapers is a lot cheaper than for services that climb.

I do removals and trimming either from the ground or from a ladder(trimming). I know this is pretty elementary but I am keeping busy enough with this type of work for now. Not saying I don't want to grow and expand my horizons, but I'm just not there yet. I am just looking for liability insurance as I am a sole proprieter and have no employees. My insurance guy told me landscaping insurance would not cover me if I did anything from a ladder. I thought about going this route but not if I can't even get on a ladder. Also, how much liabilty insurance should I be covered for?

I do removals and trimming either from the ground or from a ladder(trimming). I know this is pretty elementary but I am keeping busy enough with this type of work for now. Not saying I don't want to grow and expand my horizons, but I'm just not there yet. I am just looking for liability insurance as I am a sole proprieter and have no employees. My insurance guy told me landscaping insurance would not cover me if I did anything from a ladder. I thought about going this route but not if I can't even get on a ladder. Also, how much liabilty insurance should I be covered for?

Sounds like you may want to investigate a solid life insurance policy instead.

If you are regularly using a chainsaw while holding on to a ladder ,you are asking to get hurt.

Although using a ladder to ascend a canopy is acceptable,merely balancing one self while trying to run a saw is not.

Although I don't condone working without insurance,I think you'd be better off waiting another month on it and instead buy yourself a saddle, lanyard and climbline and learn how to tie a friction hitch.

I run my business what seems to be similiar to yours. I have a million dollar liability coverage. (we have some expensive a$$ homes next town over from me.) Im covered for stump grinding and i have a few gear covered independtly (saws and stump grinder) and all the rest of the gear covered together. It runs me about 1600 for the year if i remember right. before i started grinding stumps and listed the saws indepently it was running me around 1400 a year. That includes my vehicle coverage. The company is west bend mutual insrance i believe. They are out of wisconsin but i live in michgan and they cover me. Take a look into it. PS Ladders and Tree Work is like Drinking and Driving. You may get away with it and makes things easier but if you dont it may take your life or someone elses.

Ladders r fine 4 residential pruning. A throw ball should b used 2 make it safer. Don't foget one more type of insurance. And that is on ur cell phone.

Latest posts

Back