Tree Loss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan R Porter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I seem to have the feeling tree care gets more and more difficult every year. Its either I am getting more intense, or trees everywhere are getting worse by the year.

My question is, what is everyones loss rate this year? I care for about 2500 Trees and have lost about 50 a year for the last three years, maybe around only 40 this year. So I am about at a 2% Loss rate. Is this acceptable? Anyone else know theres?

Dan R Porter said:
I seem to have the feeling tree care gets more and more difficult every year. Its either I am getting more intense, or trees everywhere are getting worse by the year.

My question is, what is everyones loss rate this year? I care for about 2500 Trees and have lost about 50 a year for the last three years, maybe around only 40 this year. So I am about at a 2% Loss rate. Is this acceptable? Anyone else know theres?

Really an interesting post. I don't make my living with trees but do deal with returned/defective product daily. I separate the failures by the cause. If lost through my error, I would include it in the failures. If lost due to an act of God or some other unforeseen circumstances (auto crash, customer interference?) over which I had no control, I would not include it but would still look for ways to improve. If these were lost due to things within your control, 2% sounds kind of high but with trees it seems like there would be so many things out of your control.

Well come to think of it none of these where my fault. Storm damage are about half of those, and the other half are because, in my opinion, almost all the trees, about 2500, where planted before i worked there, and they are all planted about a foot deep or more, haha imagine that. there are only 2 this year i would call my fault, and that is some weeping willows that had some construction damage, and some past "hacking" i tried to clean up and may have taken it a little too far. We also have about 50 trees planted in the middle of a 2-lane VERY BUSY street, and the island they are planted in is about 2 feet wide. Not the best place for trees so i don't take the blame for those either. I will post a pic/new topic on that at a later date.

I wonder if some of this extreme heat and otherwise screwy weather has taken a toll on some trees. I've noticed the same thing around here. Perfectly good trees kicking off for one reason or another. Even the veggie garden stunk this year. Like peppers that get flowers but no fruit. I bet theres alot going on ecologically thats causing the demise of the plant life.
Did anyone see that program on global dimming too? That was quite fascinating.

It's been a tough year for maples around here. I suspect last summer's drought and the early spring drought this year finished off some marginal trees but even the healthy ones have sparse leaves and look bad. Probably 80% of the removals this summer have been maples. My poor achin back.
Phil

Outside of the muni world, I don't know how such and inventory could be kept.

Back