Tree need to come down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonestarStihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I tried taking some pictures and it's probably not enough but I wanted to see what some of y'all thought...does it need to come down? It doesn't look too good up top to me.
eba337a13162bc114a4367a95d57c472.jpg
d2c60a589f151aadfcd8a1e033144fb6.jpg
e95c6539d7233ff954a01a487158c1b6.jpg
36c27c00223a195adb8b9a2ddabfaa35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than likely a trampoline but depending on how the wind blows could be sun room of house. My biggest worry would be if my kids were outside of it decided to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i see poor limb attachment union and swelling dead wood stubs etc etc all says predictable failure, if can climb inspect then dead wood detail tidy & weight work off some upper limb parts combined with target exclusion eg move the trampoline you may lessen harm risk and likely hood.

must understand tree failure harm / risk is very very low probability, your trampoline has a far higher data statistic but as billy lids in the equation greater management care is always taken.

Had a couple of cottonwood in our yard looked similar.

Sitting in the yard one day, and heard what sounded like pellet gun firing up in the tree for 2 or 3 minutes.

Then an 8" branch comes crashing down, like off the stumps shown in your photos.

80F day, bright sun, mid July, NO wind.

I took all 6 of mine down that were near anything, still have one standing. Bio photo is one of them dropped.

I looked again at the video and especially pic4. I think the inclusion goes all the way down to that large lower limb on the right. Look at the bark on the vertical wood ignoring the mass. There are two distinct textures.
This isn't a climber this is a boomer with a tearout waiting to happen.
It'll make some interesting pieces when it's down.

Had a couple of cottonwood in our yard looked similar.

Sitting in the yard one day, and heard what sounded like pellet gun firing up in the tree for 2 or 3 minutes.

Then an 8" branch comes crashing down, like off the stumps shown in your photos.

80F day, bright sun, mid July, NO wind.

I took all 6 of mine down that were near anything, still have one standing. Bio photo is one of them dropped.

Those are cottonwood, susceptible to Sudden Limb Drop, which I believe is related to changes in air pressure in the summer. Not all trees react the same.

What did you ever do with this tree?

Actually been out of town and haven't had time to reply or do anything with the tree. My plan is to go ahead and drop it. I'll cut it up and split it so it doesn't go to waste at least. I've got so many dead ones around it's just another to take down. We have trees coming down a lot from drought years back. Many are rotted out inside so I'm fearing this one may be too. I'll post pictures of the connections after I drop it if yall'd like

Back