Tree of Heaven (or is that Hell)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took one out here about five years ago, too close to my hydro(power for you americans)lines and in rough shape.

Still getting lots of sprouts. Seeds or roots?

ailanthus

Supposedly they were brought to this country by Frederick Law Olmstead one of the designers of central park.If thats true they really have taken over ,Im sure he didnt know the negative aspects of this type of tree only that it looked different.Keeps us busy though.

I've heard that they were planted (or grew) near monasteries, and as such developed the name. I've often joked that working in them might get you to heaven, or hell depending on which way you're going... (if you believe in that...)

However, I kind of have an appreciation for them, they're almost pretty in bloom, and the seed heads are cool, and they grow in places lots of other things can't... In fact I removed a few large healthy ones a few years ago in a downtown back alley , and they had a great little environment existing underneath... it is one of the few jobs that still haunts me, really they came down for no reason.

oh and maybe you trees in the first pic were trained like that when young, to sort of form an arch.... Cool anyway.

Back