tree tried to kill me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cutting of leaners with the boring or coos bay method has been discussed at great length. Search "coos bay" and/or "falling leaner" and hopefully a bunch will pop up

I think the best advice you will receive is stay away from leaners for now and develop your skills on straight trees. Gettin the fundamentals down first will help you assess and handle the leaners. A proper hinge cut is key to any felling. If you botch the hinge then predictability and control are lost. Combine that with heavy loaded leaners and you have the making for injury.

No one in their right mind would hop on a pro MX bike and try hitting a 40ft table top on their second day so why take the same risk in the woods?

upload_2014-10-1_22-32-19.jpeg

Does that even count as a notch?

Not even close! The 2 cuts are not even within a cooee of meeting up. The top cut is poorly aligned and incomplete and the hinge surfaces were not cleaned up to allow the hinge to work as it should. It cannot even be called a notch except in someones imagination. A lot can be foreseen from looking at a notch/scarf. That one tells me that i'm glad i'm looking at it from my keyboard and not in person when the back cut was made. Fairly obvious that bad things were going to happen.

No, Ive seen better from an axe.

An axe? Heck i know someone that could have done a better job with their teeth! Heres the bloke you want when your saw chain is dull and you are too lazy to do a correct scarf and wish to soil your trousers......

upload_2014-10-1_22-39-31.jpeg

Back