treeclimbers working under the table

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Wiley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Signed Contract

treeclimber37,

Did you have the elderly man sign a contract?

Also I would suggest be careful in your approach to "advising" about hearsay of the other company, as you probably do not want them to come up with a slander suit against you. They may have corrected their illegality since you last heard of their previous conviction.

Instead first of all advise the elderly man you are aware of local laws governing the "time" to rescind a contract. Your costs are based upon industry standards for paying insurance premiums, bond, and ongoing education in order to provide arboriculturaly excepted standards.

Secondly, suggest to the elderly man that you have proof of insurance and bond (always carry a copy with your bid sheets), and certification as an arborist.

I am glad you got the job back. Would hate to hear a part two of your scenario, as I have seen it happen.

Take care!

I too shy away from "bad mouthing" specific companies. I try to sell myself and what I provide. SW touched on the cojent points.

2500, hmmm are they offering a clean job or doing a city stack? What will the lawn lok like when they finnish? Were you bidding cut and carry and they will drag with trucks?

If you carry an insurance certificate, make sure you tell people that a current one can be mailed to them on request. I've heard of companies that cary out dated ones of terminated policies.

I don't like dangling people over a signed contract, any good lawyer can get soemone out of one. Getting a little non refundable ernest money to close the deal is better.

A government agency here in Scotland recently tendered some work, on the instruction of a new manager, work which i've successfully been carrying out for ten years problem free, I submitted the tender along with insurance, a health and safety policy, environmental policy, which is now expected here in the uk, before consideration is acknowledged, my prices didnt alter from last years, however I was advised the official opening date was on schedule but i wouldnt hear the results for a couple of weeks, puzzled by this I called a site foreman who is also a personal friend, who informed me in confidence that a much lower quote was being accepted from one of my sub contractors, but he didnt have insurance or a H&S or environmental policy in force, so he was in fact given ten days to arrange and prepare. I then recieved a: We regret to inform you letter, Blah Blah Blah, we will however keep your files on record. The office manager is 30 years old and climbing the promotional ladder, I dont wish this on many people but i hope the top rung breaks, this type of corruption leaves a bad taste..... Jock.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel

I don't know what to say on the ins./ license thing as I've been on both sides of that fence. All I know is that just because a guy hasn't scraped together the funds for insurance doesn't necessarily dictate that he's fraudulent or dishonest. If he's been operating for years without insurance in the same area, perhaps he does enough decent work to get enough referrals to stay in business. But his priorities are obviously not in order. A couple times in my life I operated for a year or more without liability insurance, but only till I got to a point where I could afford it.

Does Florida not require a state license or registration? (proof of current insurance and bond)?

------------------
"I don't like dangling people over a signed contract, any good lawyer can get soemone out of one. Getting a little non refundable ernest
money to close the deal is better."

-------------------
JPS added to which I agree and will expound a little more on. My contracts require 50% down for projects over $1000.

Latest posts

Back