'TreeFlex' - New Ergonomically Designed Harness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chest box, is slang for ascender box, which is a chest mounted roller or ascender that helps keep you stay upright.
A body in a work positioning saddle tends to invert, which is why we use a different type of saddle when we work out of a bucket. This is where arborists run into trouble with saddles that are only work positioning. Most of us use buckets at least some of the time, and almost always need to climb out of the bucket. How do we stay compliant?

I'm not familiar with "buck classic with the new thorlux", do you have a picture?

And to your point about having a custom made saddle, sure I could do that, but that was my point, if I want a good saddle, I have to have it custom made?

From whhat I can see, the treeflex is pretty much like any other leg strap saddle, it does have the wide blue strap in front which means there are three straps going from the belt to the leg strap, instead of two, like other saddles. I thought maybe there was some adjustability in the distance from saddle to leg strap, but the blue strap is stationary, and I'm not sure if the length of the ghey green strap is adjustable or not.
The front blue strap, it seems to me, could just be omitted. If one wanted an attachment there, he could just tuck the bridge under the waist belt.
Otherwise, the only other adjustments I see are waist and leg diameter, and all saddles have that. Also, coming in 3 sizes, all saddles I've ever seen do that too.
The cover on the bridge is a problem too, from a safety standpoint. How can you see internal wear? I wonder what the bridge is made of, I hope not one of those new low stretch ropes.

One objective of TFX was to be a simple and clean design - a familiar type of harness. So it looks like we succeded there so far. But the shape and fit of back and leg pad and routing of the waist adjusters, plus some materials are unique. The Glide, Butterfly, Navaho with sidestraps and everything else, all pivot from the hip. TFX pivots from the front of the hip, and under the waist belt.

Routing the sliding bridge under the waist belt is a bad idea; a tumble could pull the leg risers through the waist belt and pull the harness off! The blue attachment point is set for a low clip point for a chest ascender, for efficient use of the frog system. This is lower than most industrial harnesses, similar to a caving harness, so the hand and chest ascenders don't clash. It also frees the sliding bridge to carry the work line ready to go, while ascending on a seperate acces line. This makes for a slick changeover at the top. The blue webbing is set for an efficient ascending position. The Frog ascent is IMHO the best general ascent method that is bio-mechanically correct compared to footlocking. This harnes is designed for the Frog system in ascent, and sliding bridge for work positioning. The blue webbing is also used to attach to the chest harness, or can be used with shoulder straps to take the weight of a saw. The sliding bridge can be adjusted for the best work positioning posture.

A lot of engineering went into this product.

The waist risers are adjustable, and are routed so as not to pull up the harness into the ribs. This is unique to any other harness. It enables a sweet spot to be adjusted for balance.

The sizes have the hip Ds positioned accordingly. Many harnesses do not have the hip D distance altered between sizes. Those that do, bravo!

The sliding bridge is triple layered polyester stitched along its length. It is protected from UV and abrasion by the cover, so doesn't need inspecting. The ends can be slid to inspect where it interfaces with the hardware (the only potential wear point).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Oops!

Sorry about that - I didn't realise!

Don't worry, your chance will come, I'm sure.

MORE TreeFlex PICS & Accessories

More pics:

http://www.safetytechnology.co.uk/arborist-treeflex.php

The following accessories are currently being manufactured for TFX:

- 1. Easy clip on/off hard seat for prolonged hanging stances with no foot support.

- 2. Simple suspenders for taking the weight of a chainsaw and using a chest ascender.

- 3. A chest harness designed to arrest a head first fall optimally, (as from a MEWP/bucket truck) via the incorporation of a sliding belay loop. Rates the harness to EN361 for fall arrest. Very easy to unclip and leave behind when climbing from the bucket.

- 4. A padded shoulder yoke that velcros to either chest harness or suspenders; gives more comfort with heavy saws or during prolonged use.

- 5. A fixed ring front bridge.

This gives an all round package for work at height. Only available for TFX in TFX colours (to help ensure correct ergonomics and safe interaction).

Last edited:
I'll try again

Just lost a lengthy reply on this John Paul.

Just tried another one - seems Arboristsite can only cope with 2 minute replies.

My wife Davina ( a qualified personal remedial trainer with 25yrs experience) and I (a certified arborist with 20 yrs experience) started on this design over 5 years ago, for important ergonomic reasons. Our ideas were taken on board 3 yrs ago by Safety Technology Ltd, as we don't have the time or resources to build, test, market and sell. Between us, we have brought this product to market.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
TreeFlex is now available in the USA:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=TFX21+SM+01

The TFX team will be available at TCI expo for demos and discussion.

We look forward to meeting you!

Congratualtions Pez! Good luck with the TreeFlex in North America.

It looks like a solid well-built harness with good adaptability for different climbing styles.

Look forward to seeing the bosuns seat attachment.....just wondering will the Petzl Podium attach to the TreeFlex in the meantime until the TFX bosuns seat attachment comes out?

7040Podium-sm.jpg

How exacty would it attach to the TFX if it is possible?

This pdf has a great large close up of the harness -

http://www.safetytechnology.co.uk/downloads/TreeFlex-Brochure.pdf

Last edited:
Yes, the podium will work, depending upon what you want to do. It can be clipped to the fixed front dee (after a maillon rapide has been inserted) or the large ring on the sliding bridge, but the sliding dee wont slide with the seat clipped to it. For that, the podium must clip to the sliding leg rings. The webbing must be pulled as short as possible to make it work. It works well for me this way.

The TFX batten seat is designed to work with the harness perfectly, and hopefully won't be as expensive as the podium.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Saddle

I climb in a Sierra Moreno Ultralight Saddle with the integrated back support system. It honestly is the most comfortable saddle I have ever used, and is very very lightweight. Parts are interchangable and you can add or delete items in the belt very easily. The saddle is completely rebuildable! It is like sitting in an easy chair when out in the open, and the floating D's aid in a very comfortable work position. In addition, the back pad conforms to your natural contour over time as the saddle wears in. Anyone else out there use the Sierra Moreno Ultralight? I believe its made with some Bashlin parts. The Sierra Moreno Mercantile Company is the manufacturer.

Michael J. Platt
Platt & Company, Arborists

Yes, I understand the point of view about the cost. Unfortunately it is a direct result of quality west european manufacture, import costs and the dollar/GBP exchange.

But if your a pro climber, like SRT and sliding D, even if TreeFlex was twice that fee and only lasted a year, it would still be worth every penny.

I say that because you really can't put a price on your physical and mental well being and safety - it is the reason for the design; a mirror image of the pelvis to free the hips and back to work as nature intended.

The pad lining is a patented feature that lines the clothing of rugby players, the webbing routing is patented because it prevents the belt riding up and the back pad shape and padding is a registered design, because it flexes freely but supports perfectly, clears and protects major nerve lines and joints, and prevents the belt being pulled down.

When I'm right out on a limb, I'm comforted to know my pelvis is protected by padding designed for impact in the event of an uncontrolled swing.

Throw in the 3.5lb weight, optional chest harness to convert to fall arrest, board seat compatiblity, adjustability, careful sizing, very durable materials and frog walker/sliding D options as standard....if any harness is worth $449 dollars, then this has to be it.

Last edited:
Well thank you for the compliment : )

Don't let not being a pro put you off - any climber deserves the benefits of TreeFlex, though I appreciate the costs are harder to justify.

At least the option of a true ergonomically designed harness is now available.

Latest posts

Back