trees close to retaining wall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

publicsteele

Reaction score
Hello:

I have a terraced back yard with a retaining wall 5 feet from the back of my house which stretches about 40 feet long.

I must replace the wall. Just on the other side of the wall and at either end are a 35 foot tall cactus (trunk is 1 foot from wall, if that) and a 40 foot tall royal palm (1-2 feet from the wall).

I am afraid to replace the wall, which I must do for drainage reasons, becasue of the proximity of the trees to the wall and the back of the house. I fear that removal of the wall will compromise the stability of the trees.

Is there a way to secure and reinforce the trees during construction of the new wall?

I am terrified of hurting these plants because I truly love them, but I must protect my property. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much.
Christopher Steele
Woodland Hills, CA

Pictures would indeed be very helpful.

Are you sure you NEED to replace the wall? Without pictures, I don't even know what kind of wall it is; it is possible that you might just need to make some minor repairs....

Get us some pictures and we'll see what we can do. There's a lot of tree guys here, I can help with the wall/drainage issue!

Dan

Latest posts

Back